Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: new reloading tool

Boolit Master

new reloading tool

I am a cheap sumdofagun. I found a use for a pick that comes with a nut cracker. They usually have a round shaft and a curved pointy end for picking the meat out of a nut shell. I keep a few on the loading bench for odds and ends. But I use them mainly for pulling Gas Checks out of brass cases. I take a vicegrips and make a small tight hook on the pointy end.
    When I am breaking down improper loads. I pull the bullet. Pour all of the powder out of the case. Now the only thing left in the case is the check. Now raise the case so the mouth is towards you and pointed down about 20 deg. Bounce the case till you can see the check at the top edge of the shoulder with the cup up. Carefully reach in with the hooked pick, with the hook down. Hook the inside of the check cup with the hooked pick. It hite take a time or two to get the hang of what has to happen. But I quite often get the check out in the first grab with the hook. Kevin

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Another use for those is - File the tip to make it a sort of chisel; Use that to clear grunge out of the primer pocket. You can scrape or just clean the outer edge of the pocket (lots of the time that'll clean most of the crud out.) Was using that in the 60s, works well. Just don't mix your ones you use for nuts with the reloading ones

Kbstenberg, yes it will do the job, but a Hemostat, aka (roach Clip) will do it with a firmer grip, just my 2Cents, fivefang

We use them to pick the meat out of the lobster claws....mmmmm

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I am a cheap sumdofagun. I found a use for a pick that comes with a nut cracker. They usually have a round shaft and a curved pointy end for picking the meat out of a nut shell. I keep a few on the loading bench for odds and ends. But I use them mainly for pulling Gas Checks out of brass cases. I take a vicegrips and make a small tight hook on the pointy end.
    When I am breaking down improper loads. I pull the bullet. Pour all of the powder out of the case. Now the only thing left in the case is the check. Now raise the case so the mouth is towards you and pointed down about 20 deg. Bounce the case till you can see the check at the top edge of the shoulder with the cup up. Carefully reach in with the hooked pick, with the hook down. Hook the inside of the check cup with the hooked pick. It hite take a time or two to get the hang of what has to happen. But I quite often get the check out in the first grab with the hook. Kevin

Boolit Master
    i for the past 20+ yrs have used a square cut nail to clean out primer pockets, just file or grind the end opposite the head on a degree of any angle and it will not only clean out the pocket but it will remove a military crimp. see we all have an amount of cheapness in us all.

Boolit Grand Master

What? Youz guys don't use dedicated reloading tools"? You actually use things that weren't designed for reloading only?

Thinking "outside the box" is good, especially if you don't have a large budget (I always hated that phrase). I was a lifelong machinist/mechanic and found many, many tools that do as good of or better than job than dedicated reloading tools (dedicated in name only). I use countersinks to remove primer pocket crimps. I used Dremel wire brushed to clean primer pockets. I've used commercial tumbling media. Off the top of my head I cant remember more right now, but I think I'll get some "nut picks".

FWIW when I was building fishing poles, I often used rubber butt caps, aka crutch tips. When I bought them from a rod building supply the were $2.50. When I bought them from a medical supply they were $1.59. When I bought them, the exact same rubber tip, from a hardware store they were $.79. Same part, different "name". I've seen the same for reloading stuff...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

A number of years ago my dentist gave me a handfull of old dental picks -- all kinds of hooks, bends, scraping ends and so forth -- grind into nice scribes too -

Boolit Master

It is amazing to what uses you can find for the simple dental pick. I am going to talk to my dentist and get on his waiting list for a used set. james