Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My DIY Case Feeder Project

Boolit Master
    Looks good! Looking forward to the finished product!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    44Vaquero (and everyone else): Thanks for posting the pics in the other thread showing the measurements of the box you built! I'm getting ready to make my own, and I'm just wondering if there is any formula you followed, or is it just a matter of holding the bucket up to the press and taking measurements? I assume the bucket should be at a 45 degree angle, and I know that I want the funnel to end up directly over the feeder tube, but if you have any more words of wisdom, please lay them on me!

Thanks,

John

Boolit Master
    Jmac2112,

I make my support column out of 3/4 inch Gray elec pvc. for the base I use iron pipe flange and a short pipe nipple to fit into the pvc. This makes a strong light weight adjustable support for the feeder. 30 to 45 degrees should be plenty. As for the drop chute I modify a funnel from Walmart and fit it to the drop tube!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	213511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	213513

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good! I'm really not sure which route I'll end up going at this point; the project is coming together slowly and organically, based on a lot of suggestions and the needs of the moment. I've almost finished a box to house the motor and other electrical components, and I'll get some more pictures up soon.

Thanks,

John

Boolit Bub
    I built a case feeder for my LNL AP but it not quite finished yet. I used a 5 gallon bucket for the hopper and I think a 2 rpm bbq rotisserie motor that I got free. More than fast enough with 10 inch diameter shell plates. I used some 3/16 inch particle board to make them but cant remember what type. I made large and small pistol plus large and small rifle plates. They work perfectly up to 308. 30-06 is too long and would need to make hole to drop tube wider but is easily corrected but not an issue for me. Where I am not finished yet is with my drop tube and micro switch to cut power when tube is full.

Boolit Master
    I have Dillion's case feeder on my 650 but I built my own before to feed my LEE Pro1000 depriming machine. I made it to mimic the Dillon unit as best I could since it works quite well. Dillion's small pistol plate will do .40 but its not optimal since the slots are narrow enough it doesn't populate with brass as easily. Same with .38 special. For those I found the large plate best. I made my diy feeder a little bigger than Dillion's small so that its more universal. It won't do .45ACP but I don't load it right now. I made mine from plastic cutting board material, about 3/8 thick and powered by a 3 or 4rpm rotisserie motor, pretty much what Dillons is. You want to get the plate as close to the bottom of the bucket as possible, that way upside down brass falls out easily but base first brass stays in the slots/holes.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure if this link will work, but here are some photos of my progress with the case feeder:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gfc384AzewBhnVRA3

I finally got all the electrical stuff figured out, so things should start moving a little faster now.

John

Link works for me. Looks like you are doing a fine job.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the feedback, jmorris! I'm especially glad that I can add a link like that, since there seem to be pretty severe resolution limitations when it comes to posting a picture directly.

Now that I've got a whole weekend to work on this project, maybe I can finish it up soon. Except that it will be 50 and sunny tomorrow, so I'll be spending a few of those hours at the range....

Boolit Master
    Looks great to me too, keep the updates coming

Boolit Buddy
    No more photos for now, but the project is essentially done. I'm having a significant problem with 9mm cases getting log-jammed inside the funnel. Could be the funnel, or it could be the fact that I'm trying to use 9mm with what is really a large pistol plate (I haven't tried it with .45 yet). It isn't that two cases can fit in the same slot, but they are sort of piling up in such a way that I tend to get two cases falling almost at the same time. Not sure I can explain it any better at the moment. I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow to try to locate the problem.

I'm leaving Wednesday to go on an 11 day school trip to England with my daughter, so this project will be on hold for a while. The long transatlantic flight will give me plenty of time to think about the problem, though....

Boolit Master
    Try a narrower funnel. 9mm is so short that if they bounce off the sides the can flip and log jam in the chute. 380 has the same issue? You might need a shell plate with fewer positions, if they really are dropping too fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, 44Vaquero! I tried it with some .45 tonight and it functioned flawlessly. I can see what you mean about needing a narrower funnel for 9mm, though. I've tried feeding some 9mm into the funnel by hand, and I can cause them to get stuck sideways by bouncing them off one of the sides. I haven't tried .380 yet.

Another problem with using this particular plate (which is probably very similar to Dillon's large pistol plate) is that even though two 9mm cases can't actually fit into one slot, they can *almost* fit, which leads to extra cases getting dragged along to the top. Many times a second case will fall through the same slot right after the first one, not necessarily oriented properly either. So, at least I know where to start looking for solutions!

Thanks,

John

Is there is any economy in this? Do not get me wrong, I admire the op’s ingenuity and skill but if you value your time,effort,and materials at all then why not spend less than 250 dollars and have one that works almost flawlessly without any hassles ? I would have been cranking out ammo weeks ago.I get that we sometimes do things for satisfaction of doing it but with me there is also usually economy involved.
    Dogdoc

maybe he paid to have the lawn mowed so he could spend time creating this. True, I could earn money to buy case feeders but work is unappealing, whereas tinkering is always fun lol.
    I experience a fair amount of satisfaction when I use the tools I’ve made, and my bucket feeder works very well. However I bought the second one lol.

Is there is any economy in this?
    Depends. Some people buy food cooked that costs a lot more than you can get it from the store and cook it themselves because they can’t cook or won’t allocate any time to doing so.

When I build things, I do it because the act of creating is a hobby of mine and it’s less expensive that other hobbies that I would be enjoying instead.

Boolit Master
    I'm with jmorris. It's more about the creation than the cost savings for me. Starting with a pile of 'junk' and finishing with something that works as yiu expected it to is rewarding to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Official response from OP: I enjoy tinkering, especially when I can learn something from it, AND I have already spent a totally irresponsible amount of money on a new Dillon XL650 + accessories. I am not flush with cash, and I have no ready means of making or saving more money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12