WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber and reloads

I have 2 Kimbers, a Pro Carry in .45acp and a Micro 9 for carry. I know manufacturers don't like handloading due to hot loads etc. Glock for instance states in the manual "Reloads void warranty" and we all know about their unsupported chamber deal. All my glocks and kimbers are fed steady diets of handloads with careful case preparation, selecting powder that agrees with handgun manuals and careful seating of bullets in both jacketed bullets and cast boollits. Never had a failure to eject in either while using a firm grip. BTW, I bought my Kimber pro carry from a guy who was fed up with FTE's and after I broke it in on factory FMJ's it has never failed me. It just needed the hell shot out of it for about 250 rounds and I loved doing it!
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't think I have put a single factory round through my Micro .380. It just eats 'em up. I will say this, you must keep the extractor clean on this pistol. If you allow junk to build up on it you will eventually get FTE. That has nothing to do with reloads, just the old school small rigid extractor design.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Forgot to thank you folks for your input. Should see her this Friday and will show her your posts. Thanks gang.

Boolit Buddy
    Try running your reloads through a bulge buster, you won't believe how many cases actually size a little after normal reloading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    A friend has been having trouble with reloads reliably functioning in her shorty kimber. Not the ones I have lent her to try. One of the experts at the local indoor range told her kimber's didn't function well with reloads. Sounds like horse pucky to me....Anyone ever heard this?
    Is it an Ultra Carry II? I had some problems with my first one. It went back to Kimber for barrel work. It was due to a bad batch. It was back within a week and shoots great!

My last and third UC2 was all blacked out and with factory night sights. It's perfect with anything I loaded it. But I do run mine through a bulge buster AFTER reloading. Like it was said before, reloads can get out of specs while loading.

BTW, I like the short 1911s and think Kimber does a great job on them. I have settled on a Colt Defender for my "Micro" 1911 only because it was an amazing deal and already had an ambi safety on it!

Also, I settled on Hornady Custom 200gr +p for my carry ammo. Seems to shoot where I some and in small groups. The 230gr was all over the place on my shorty 1911s.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A lot of my 9mm and .380 boolit loads have a little bulge and it's never caused a problem. The chamber should be generous enough to allow for reasonable variances, especially on a defensive gun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I would argue with that "Pilgrim" that they are ALL reloads, I'm just a smaller Co. doing more quality work. With maybe some recycled components involved. That was probably just his idea of "Flirting" with your Girl.

Banned

only problem with my kimbers (I have 3) is with my gold cup. I ran into a problem with that gun. Bullets I had oal set at that worked in all the rest of my 1911s wouldn't run in the gold cup. Swc's had to be seated deaper. Basicaly where the case was right even with the step in the bullet nose. Seated like that it doesn't miss a beat and other then my 9mm sti Trojan is the most accurate 1911 ive owned. My other two kimbers will eat about anything.