RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Six 22lr cylinder or new Heritage Rough Rider?

Boolit Buddy

Single Six 22lr cylinder or new Heritage Rough Rider?

My 1968 three screw single six only has mag cylinder.Would you get 22lr cylinder or buy Heritage rough rider for 129.99?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    My 1968 three screw single six only has mag cylinder.Would you get 22lr cylinder or buy Heritage rough rider for 129.99?
    Buy the cylinder for the Ruger, I had a Rough Rider for not too long, but still have the Single Six.
    Charter Member #148

I'm pretty happy with my Heritage Rough Rider. It is not a Ruger, but I don't expect it to be for what I paid for it.

IMO makes a fine truck gun. Keep it in a case with a box of .22lr and a box of .22 mag's.

Those .22 mag's will ring your ears.

Boolit Buddy
    one reason I ask (should be more clear with my questions) is the local Academy Sports has the 22lr only Heritage for 129.99 and a cylinder for the Ruger is gonna be near that (right?), and and one gun of each (Ruger mag and Heritage lr) might be better than one gun with 2 cylinders.

Super Moderator

I would opt for the Ruger cylinder if were me. I have a 3 screw from 1964 that was my Grandfathers. It came with both cylinders, and is quite a bit more accurate with the 22Mag cylinder. More expensive to shoot though.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can find the cylinder I would get it. Maybe call ruger and see if they can fit it to the revolver, and the fee. Explain to them that you have a 22 magnum cylinder for the gun and would like 22 lr conversion. The draw back is they may do the recall update on it also.
    Most replacement cylinders will be large to be fitted to the gun. If a used one can be found then it could be measured with calipers to make sure every thing is close.

Boolit Master
    I you just need to hit the broad side of the barn and you're inside the barn, I'd get the cylinder. My experience with the single six has been that accuracy is dismal with .22 LR because of the fat bores made to accommodate the .22 mag. My single six with a 22lr cylinder in it is the worst shooting firearm I own. It will do a dinner plate sized group at 25 yards, while the magnums will shoot a real group. Personally I'd get another gun that has a bore made for 22lr if that is what I wanted to shoot. Just test the bore with shank of a 7/32 drill bit. That should tell you if it's a mag or lr bore.

Super Moderator

My 22LR cylinder doesn't shoot quite that poorly. It will do 1-1/2 to 2" at 25 yds. with CCI Mini Mag. Plenty good enough for bunnies. The Mag cylinder will do better though.

Boolit Master
    Did you loose the LR cylinder or do you have one of the magnum only single sixes? I would see what Ruger could do for you then as a plan b go with the rough rider.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    ... Just test the bore with shank of a 7/32 drill bit. That should tell you if it's a mag or lr bore.
    Thanks for the tip, didn't think of that.
    the 22lr Remington Thunderbolt i jammed into the muzzle engraved down to the groove diameter on the shank of the boolit, tho

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Did you loose the LR cylinder or do you have one of the magnum only single sixes? I would see what Ruger could do for you then as a plan b go with the rough rider.
    when i got it from my neighbor who moved away, it only had the mag cylinder.
    i think it is a mag only anyway by the serial #

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, didn't think of that.
    the 22lr Remington Thunderbolt i jammed into the muzzle engraved down to the groove diameter on the shank of the boolit, tho
    upon further investigation (sharpie and magna-visor) only engraving on the lands, not the grooves

Boolit Master
    I enjoy the Single Six.Have both cylinders. I had an Arminus DA my Dad talked me into at 12 yrs old.Payed $138 for it.I am 62 now Finally got the Ruger.Traded in for what I payed for it.
    Stainless steel.6.5 in barrel
    I always say " Buy the best and cry only once.I have Wegland mount[ATTACH=CONFIG]21282]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0004.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Buy the cylinder.

Boolit Bub
    For me it would be a no brainer.

Buy both.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Buy both.

I use my single six for the trap line.I do have the mag cyl. that came with it.But mainly use the lr for the trap line I would get the cyl. But make sure it will fit your gun right.Or buy both after you make sure the cyl. will fit the one you got.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I have had to work on to out of three Rough riders I have sold, I don't sell them any more! Nuff said

My Rough Rider is no Ruger. But it's tough and accurate and I never worry about hurting it.
    I've always wanted a 4-5/8" Single Six but no joy so far. The .22 mag in a revolver is a good trail gun that hits like a .22 LR rifle with hi speed ammo. I'd say keep the Ruger as is and get the Heritage. It costs about as much as dinner for two at a nice restaurant and lasts so much longer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast