Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Six 22lr cylinder or new Heritage Rough Rider?

Boolit Master
    I have my dad's single six he bought new in 1957 or 8 but these days it stays tucked away in the safe in its original box with all the paper work. I've got plenty of auto's from the Mod 41 Smith on down but needed a revolver to carry on the tractor for pests using shorts or CB's. One of the local dealers was selling Rough Riders for $109 so I got one. I looked at the display models in the store case but I didn't even open the box on the one they brought out from inventory as I wasn't expecting much for the price. After a couple days I pulled it out of the box giving it a good cleaning and lube. Now I know one piece isn't reflective of the entire production run but the one I got is very nice. It's smooth and every bit as accurate as the old Ruger, workmanship seems nicer than New Rugers, and the trigger is much nicer than the new Ruger's I tried. The trigger breaks like a glass rod but takes a little more poundage than Dad's old Single Six . For a 109 dollar tractor gun I'm happy with the RR.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 22 Mag. cylinder for my new model. Fitted it myself. I think I paid $60 for the cylinder. I've never put the 22 LR cylinder in it since.

2 Reasons:

It's FAR more accurate with the 22 Mags (but very picky, mine likes WW 40 grain HP but hated the lighter weights except the 34 grain WW black box). Also hated Fiochhi and CCI. I settled on the WW 40 grainers.

I'd have to re-adjust the rear sight every time I switched cylinders.

My Nephew has a Rough Rider, an older one. Kept breaking springs. He finally quit fixing it.

Boolit Master
    Midway sells a Story 8 shot drop in 22lr in cylinder for the single sixes. The 2 extra shots may make up the difference for accuracy

Just wanted to add another option...

I have about the same experience a most others, better accuracy with the Mag cyl, but with 22lr still can bust up clay shotgun targets thrown out on the backstop berm at 25 yards.

Boolit Man
    I don't own a Single Six so I can't comment on it. I do, however, love shooting my Heritage RR. Only negative is the darn rear sight (or lack of).

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Hears my thought. Take some .22 mag cases & carefully file off the heads. Insert the tubes in your cylinder. You now have a .22 LR revolver. Just takes a bit of fingernail to pull empties. Shazam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Hears my thought. Take some .22 mag cases & carefully file off the heads. Insert the tubes in your cylinder. You now have a .22 LR revolver. Just takes a bit of fingernail to pull empties. Shazam!

do whut?

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Hears my thought. Take some .22 mag cases & carefully file off the heads. Insert the tubes in your cylinder. You now have a .22 LR revolver. Just takes a bit of fingernail to pull empties

Please show us how with pictures and stuff lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12