Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Refractory

Boolit Master

Refractory

I'm looking for some info on Dixie super mortar item 06252

I'm looking to build a gas forge
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

use the forum search, I remember a member here made a really nice one but can't think of his handle. he hand built his forge and it was a thing of beauty. he did gun stock work and I want to say he was in Australia.

Boolit Master
    I used Kaowool board for the whole forge and lined the bottom with 1" K-26 soft ceramic brick. But I had all that laying around as I do heating.
    How big of a forge are you building? Your looking for 3,000F Sodium silicate refractory cement. Doesn't matter what company. I suggest you get the dry mix and mix for your needs. You can also set wire in it to strengthen the build. The next one I build will be a 20gal steel tank. I'm going to use auto body stud welder to weld pins around the inside to hold a wire cage and use refractory cement to Insulate the tank. Good luck, Jason
    https://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-29185.html

Banned

Vermiculite and portland cement or vermiculite and water glass. Do a search on youtube. You can get all the parts at most home building centers to make the cement you need

Boolit Master
    We have a insulator who has been doing work at the plant for years. He brought me 100 pounds of Dixie super mortor, but before I could get any info ( mixing instructions is it a hot set or air set) he left.

I don't have a plan. I haven't even built my burner yet.

What I'm kicking around is taking a piece of 4 inch pipe putting it in a piece of 6 inch pipe and filling the void in between with the refractory???
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

The mother by its self will not work very well. It is meant mainly for brick. It is used in thin applications. To do it the way you are describing you need a testable. Fb

Boolit Master
    I was afraid of that. I'm still hopeful it's a full refractory,not just a thin set mortar

<(*)(()><

Banned

Not mater what it is you still have to run a couple heat cycles to cure it. The water glass and vermiculite is going to be the lightest weight of the different types.

Boolit Master

My forge has kaywool with satanite over it with ITX-100 ceramic coating on it.

How to make a coffee can forge: http://youtu.be/uIRTcmR6sSk
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Master
    You mix it like thick cement and air dry. After it dries, cure it at 500F for an hour or 2 depending on thickness.

Boolit Man
    portland cement will not hold up for very long. you really need high temp refractory.
    call around and see if you can find a cematorium that has slightly old or slightly outdated refractory,
    they may sell you some cheaply.
    hope this helps
    shunka
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Boolit Master
    I'm just going to get in touch with the company to get the specifics on this product. I was just hoping someone here might have used it

<(*)(()><