Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seating question?

seating question?

I am loading up cast LRN .45acp 230gr bullets and have a question.
    I am using the load data I found in modern reloading manual second edition
    Powder HS-6 Start 7gr Max 8gr
    I was using 7.1-7.2
    stated min OAL to be 1.20
    So when I used all this information the result was a case that looked odd to me. It looked like the bullet was seated too deep into the case even though it was loaded to the manuals specification.
    Here are some pictures. Does it look add to you as well, would this be safe to shoot? could I seat less and be good? I usually seat my .45acp rounds to 1.25" using various other powders with good results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_164310 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	212759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_164315 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	212760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180125_164351 - Edited.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	212761

One of the Lee RN bullets, Bullet Mold 452-228-1R 45 ACP, has to be seated extra deep, or it wont chamber. Not a problem using a starting load and working up.

Some alloys rich in antimony, make the bullet larger in diameter at the ogive area.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Which mild is that? I imagine the profile is different than is listed for the Lee mold...ie...the one you have seems to be narrower and likely longer for the same weight in the Lee 230 lrn mold...my guess.

To answer your question I'd not seat them that deep, may not get a good crimp on the boolit

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    What mold is it? You don't have to go to min oal. 1.27" if it would pass the plunk test.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...2-ogive-radius
    I guess I will seat to 1.25 as it has worked fine in my rock island 1911

If not sizing the bullets, diameter changes with alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

I would seat it so the case mouth is even with the top band and see how that works....
    Sometimes you just have to ignore the numbers and go with what looks right and passes the plunk and feeding test.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Information in a book indicating what was used in load development and O.A.L. Measurements are there for a reason. But, you must make sure you are using what "they" used of it may be meaningless.
    Are you using the same Bullet for example? If not then guess what. You are then on your own to determine your seating depth and your load developement. That is general knowledge to anyone that has been loading for a while. If you like that Bullet kinda use caution and seat it where it needs to be seated and creep up on the charge.
    It's not too difficult to do.
    Just be careful.

Boolit Master
    I use that same boolit, although I use the 2 cavity mold. I seat mine to 1.25". The top of the case is just about even with the start of the ogive.

Having the boolit "out" from the data from 1.2 to 1.25 should allow for Less pressure, and may help with your accuracy as well if it still cycles & chambers well at the longer length. ( we are talking a very small addition of 5 one hundredths to length, & it is Out, not Into the case.. ) There might be a slight change /decrease in velocity from the book listed ones, but I would bet not enough to make a significant difference.

One more thing I would like to point out is that in your OP you posted:
    I am using the load data I found in modern reloading manual second edition
    Powder HS-6 Start 7gr Max 8gr
    I was using 7.1-7.2
    stated min OAL to be 1.20
    As ya can see in the BOLD you said it "stated" a "Minimum" OAL. I do not have that particular manual, but if it says, "Minimum OAL", then you would not want to seat that particular boolit to a deeper seat, but that should allow for a less deep seat until you reached the Max. for your firearm for it to cycle properly, or at least Max SAMI spec.( Which I think is 1.275", IIRC)..

Anyway, that is "my opinion" & perhaps someone else here can either add to it or take away, but right now that is what "I" am thinking & doing .
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

The Springfield XD models have the tight throat that may not like a .451" diameter right at the case mouth.

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked through my Lyman 49th and saw no bullet/OAL as short as 1.20". All the RN bullets I reload are seated to a 1.260"-1.265". and the 225 LRN as per my Lyman manual is listed at 1.272". Also Lee makes two 45 cal RN molds; a 452-228-1R (standard lube) and a 452-230-2R T/L. The "1R" bullet is shorter and "fatter" and requires a deeper seat than the "2R bullet t chamber correctly...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    its ok to go longer, because that wont increase pressure. Id also seat it out a little longer as long as it will drop in & out of your chamber(s) and work on a load once you establish an OAL that works for your guns

Boolit Master
    I'd start near max OAL as long as it chambers easily. Less pressure for a given load, more room for powder if you want to bump it up later.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's my 2 cents about this whole setup. First that bullet needs to be set so as to be at 1.25 at a minimum and 1.27 AS a max. Second your not gonna like hs-6 with 45acp and lead. It is dirty and under performs. Hs-6 is a medium burn pistol powder and doesn't like the low pressure of 45 acp. It does ok with 230 grain jword bullets in +p configuration. I would work up a whole different load if I was in ur shoes. Of course I have alot of different powders available to me. Ymmv. Good luck to ya in your reloading adventures.

Thanks guys for the help. I did load some up to right where the case mouth would meet the start of the ojive and they measure at 1.26"
    I checked them in a gauge check block and they fit just fine. I believe I have the Lee mold 452-230-2R T/L.
    Im using HS-6 as thats what I have on hand, I will look into finding a better option soon.

On another note real quick, Is there a "LIKE" button I can click on on other peoples posts and responses like I have seen on other forums? I would like to acknowledge positive feed back to some of you by just a click of the mouse but dont seem to see one. Thanks again everyone.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For 45 ACP I'd agree that HS-6 seems slow for regular 45ACP fodder; Unique can be a little dirty but works well (I'm picky LOL but it works WELL.) I've heard a lot of people use 700X Bullseye Titegroup & W-231; even Red Dot and Green Dot; Have to agree tho, when what you HAVE is HS-6 then every cartridge looks like a job for HS-6! Just visit the LGS or some place having a good sale, and look into a powder you like better, after looking at some loading data.

No like button that I know of, people have been known to post a reply with "-person's nick- +1!" to pass the appreciation on - Or a Thanks! works too, I'd think

Boolit Grand Master

WIn 231 has always been my normal powder for 45 acp. Although I have loaded a bunch of liter target loads with bullseye ( soft ball loads). HP 38 does good also.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; 1.895 billion cartridges have been loaded with good old Bullseye quite successfully (I accounted for way over 2,000 of them)...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

One of the dimensions I've never seen in a loading manual is the minimum distance from the bottom of the seated bullet to the top of case bottom. Why is this critical? The less space there is from bullet bottom to case bottom, the greater the pressure. Pressures increase dramatically with bullets seated even a tad deeper than they should. (One of the reasons I bought and use a cannelure tool to seat 'em where I wish) One important, of many reasons, to do your initial loading of a new bullet-case-powder-primer assembly at significantly LOWER than powder amount listed is for this very reason. That being said, with .45ACP it may not be that critical; but then again, ???? We generally only have two eyes, ten fingers, and (at least in my case) usually not enough cash to replace a blown up firearm. Looks like a good bullet you've cast; I repeat my suggestion to load, say, 10 with (in your case) 6.0; 10 more w/ 6.3; etc. I imagine you are using these in a semi-auto which adds to the challenges, as your load need enough power to safely work the action reliably, without either leaving bullets in barrel, or, a beat-to-heck firearm. GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_sheesh View Post
    for 45 acp i'd agree that hs-6 seems slow for regular 45acp fodder; unique can be a little dirty but works well (i'm picky lol but it works well.) i've heard a lot of people use 700x bullseye titegroup & w-231; even red dot and green dot; have to agree tho, when what you have is hs-6 then every cartridge looks like a job for hs-6! Just visit the lgs or some place having a good sale, and look into a powder you like better, after looking at some loading data.

No like button that i know of, people have been known to post a reply with "-person's nick- +1!" to pass the appreciation on - or a thanks! Works too, i'd think
    thanks!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast