Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington Model 12

Remington Model 12

This is one that hasn't been shot in a while. I forgot how smooth the action is. It has nice figured stock. I loaded up some CCI 22 CB Long and CBs. My target is an empty 5 pound propane tank hanging from a line 85 yards from the back porch. Hit percentage was better than 50 %. My hold was about 8 inches high and with wet ground I could not see the impact on missed shots.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, I like those old Remington pumps! That one looks right pretty, nothing like plinking.. bet that canister made a pleasing "plink" whenever hit
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Sweet 12C you have there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Makes ya sorta wish they still made them that way .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Not just sorta, I really wish they did... But praticle me knows we couldn't afford the price!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington model 12 22LR 1928 12-14-2013.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	213427

I have a Remington 12 made in 1928

Moderator Emeritus

Growing up in Manhattan (NYC), back in the day just about every block on each avenue had a couple of saloons and a shooting gallery. Pretty much the firearm of choice in the galleries in my neighborhood (Yorktown) was the Remington Model 12c. While mine is nowheres in the good looking shape as yours, there's no way to determine how many hundred, or thousand(?) different customers shot the one I have. Pretty much a worn out specimen -- it does reflect upon earlier days some of us still have the privilege to recall. Fedora hat adorned men, either smoking cigars or users of the large brass cuspidors (spittoons) about the place...shooting .22 rifles IN New York City! Those were indeed (imho) the good ole' days. When you do have yours in your sight, or better yet your hands -- you may wish to also reflect about the times when it was manufactured and used. Mine has a 605,4xx serial number.
    Congrats both on your owning this fine rifle, as well as the history/time of its early usage! Part of what started to make America great!
    geo

Boolit Master

I've got an old one that cost me next to nothing. A friend's FIL was settling an estate and offered it to me for $25 because nobody in the family wanted it and that's all a LGS offered for it.

It's not in the best of shape but it shoots OK. The bore isn't pretty; I might look at relining it someday. The butt stock was cracked clear through at the wrist but it repaired nicely. The rust was so thick when I got it that I couldn't read any stamping until I used copious amounts of elbow grease, WD40, and steel wool. There's lots of fine pitting but I cold blued it and it doesn't look too bad.

The odd thing about it is that while it's obviously a model 12, it does not say model 12 on it anywhere. Octagon barrel, serial #67,xxx. I'm guessing it's fairly early production.

Banned

My Dad's boyhood rifle is a Winchester Model 61. I remember shooting it a few times when I was maybe 10 or 12, but it pretty much always sat in a gun rack as long as I can remember while other guns that came and went got used.

We moved mom and dad out of their place and into assisted living a year or so back. He gave that one to me, jus kind of matter of factly. I figured I'd get to it eventually. I drove down to see him over Christmas break for me and we went shooting at an indoor range in Wichita (exactly the kind of place I despise, but I don't like getting him away from my mom for long as she's in a lot worse shape than him, and this was close) and among other things, we shot that old .22. I don't think it had been fired in 40 years, but she shot great and really is a graceful little sweetheart of a rifle.

I have an old Stevens pump on the way now. Gonna take some work to get it going according to the current owner, but I really got the itch for a pump .22 that didn't have quite so much sentimental value to it, soon I'll have one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    The odd thing about it is that while it's obviously a model 12, it does not say model 12 on it anywhere. Octagon barrel, serial #67,xxx. I'm guessing it's fairly early production.

Does it have 'RW' stamped above the ser# which is most likely on the front bottom edge of the recv'r?
    The RW is for 'Remington Works' and was how the rifle was ID'd when they first intro'd it in 1909 till it was finally given it's Model 12 designation. I'm not sure when the Model 12 designation came to be.
    The RW is not part of the ser# though it is often listed as such on records and receipts.
    But the RW mark was dropped when the serial number was moved to the left side of the recv'r, that took place in '23 or '24.

67,xxx ser# is a very early Model 12....1913 mfg
    Last ser# produced in 1912 was 62,497
    Last ser# produced in 1913 was 71,805

Production started in 1909 w/ser# 1

Boolit Master

Yes, it does. Very interesting, thanks for the info. This old rifle would probably be worth something if it was in better condition. When I got it I would classify it as "rusty relic". Now it's a step above that, a beat up old shooter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4800[1].jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	214599