MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my new Kimber 8400 30-06 is a shooter

Boolit Master

I think my new Kimber 8400 30-06 is a shooter

I acquired it in unfired condition, but it is a couple years old at least. Finally got to shoot it yesterday. After getting the scope close, here's the next shots. I held the forearm firmly in my hand so it couldn't bounce on recoil.

Laying prone in the back of my pickup bed with only a sandbag for the front, the cross hairs were dancing all over the bullseye (and off of it), but I did my best. 100 yards, two 3-shot groups each of three different loads (Factory Remington 180 corelokt, 165 corelokt, and custom reloads from a long time ago, which is a 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip).

No 3-shot group was bigger than 2 1/16". Smallest was 1 5/16. I wanted to proof this with factory jacketed before diving into cast with this rifle. And I was a bit nervous of all the poor accuracy reports from Kimber owners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180124_170535-1512x2016.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	212739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180124_170548-1512x2016.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	212740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180124_170600-1512x2016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	212741Me happy!

That gun will hunt. And you will love carrying that six and a half pound treasure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In 30-06? Man, don't you know that cartridge is obsolete? You can't kill a deer with anything less than a 300 or 7mm mag. now and if you're into paper shooting only a .308 will work...

I'm loving how 30-06 is being treated these days. Probably the best round ever made. My local store won't carry a 30-06 anymore because he simply can't sell them. I love seeing the used rifle racks with 30-06 and 270 taking 25% price cuts to try to move them. I love the 30-06 and love that it seems to have fallen out of vogue. Makes some very nice rifles more affordable. (-:}

Boolit Master

30/06's are still popular around here, there's no depreciation on the gun store shelves. But the entire Gun Rag industry is based around the idea of selling you something new, it's best for them and their advertisers if you join the cartridge of the month club.

Winchester Short Magnum, anyone?
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    I had a 300wsm 8400 for awhile, it would do between 1" & 1.25" from the bench pretty regularly. I hunted with it one season and traded it, that walnut stock was to pretty for the places I go.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

30-06 is a great round. I just bought a Bergara B-14 Hunter and put a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14 on her.
    Nosler 165 Accubonds with IMR4350=Sub 1" five shot groups at 100 yards.
    I sent the info off to get my custom dial cap for the turret.
    Waiting patiently......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I'm still undecided whether I'll hunt with cast or jacketed. I guess that depends on how it shoots cast.

Yes, beautiful rifle that shoulders and carries like a dream. My first of it's kind.

Thinking about a vx3i Leupi in a 1.5-5.

Boolit Master
    That would make a great little combo. My go to hunting rifle is a Remington 700 mountain in 280 with a 2-7x on top. Buying a lightweight rifle and putting a large/heavy scope on doesn't make sense to me. Max magnification in the 5 to 10x range is ideal for a hunter.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Yep, I agree. I would like 7-8 power on the top end (2.5-8x36), but I don't think the 2.5 power on the low end gives me enough field of view to make me happy. Still thinking about it...

I don't own a 30-06 because then I wouldn't need another rifle. Yuck; too perfect!

Boolit Master
    LOL

Walmart racks always have .30-06 and .223 Sometimes I will see an odd .308, .270 or .22-250 (especially if you are in prairie dog land).

Boolit Master
    The gunsmith/dealer I got this Kimber from said that "everybody" is looking for a short action, and that many people had looked at my particular Kimber and passed on it. He said the 7mm-08 is a hot commodity right now. Glad they passed on it. I love the '06!

Yep, handling rem. factory like that, i'd say it's going to be a shooter for you!

As far as cast, both the noe 30xcb and the noe 30 hunter boolits were a walk in the park to find loads for my .308....just saying. Both liked imr 4350 too.

That 8400 is a fine rifle ...i think your going to really like it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tip! I'm trying to paper patch for it also.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

mine will too bud. I picked up a Montana in .308
    I'm shocked how well such a light rifle will shoot, an even 6 lbs scoped. I have multiple 3/4" groups with jacketed. cast is a work in progress but entirely acceptable.

This was during barrel break in with match kings. I wish I were capable of this afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Impressive!

Boolit Master
    Update: I tried some paper patched loads in it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...40#post4290640

My 30-06 is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with detachable magazine I bought new around 1999. It is really light and and has a lightweight barrel, which I wouldn't mind being a little heavier in profile. It shoots jacket bullets fine with acceptable accuracy. I did not shoot cast out of it because I feel the barrel needs work. Lots of reamer marks on the lands and the barrel holds copper like there is no tomorrow. After using copper remover a couple dozen patches, brushing with the copper remover, brushing with hoppes, patches with hoppes, etc patches with copper remover solvent still come out with some blue on them and the copper streaks are hard to get out. This is after maybe 4 shots with j words. If Midway or Brownells ever get the .30cal Tubb Final Finish kits in stock I'm going to run them through it to try and make it cast ready. I probably just should rebarrel it but I'll try the cheap way first. I take it Kimber has a better bore finish on their barrels?

Boolit Master

My 308 Kimber barrel from about 10 years ago has a bore that looks and cleans like my Shilens.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 02-15-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    My 30-06 is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with detachable magazine I bought new around 1999. It is really light and and has a lightweight barrel, which I wouldn't mind being a little heavier in profile. It shoots jacket bullets fine with acceptable accuracy. I did not shoot cast out of it because I feel the barrel needs work. Lots of reamer marks on the lands and the barrel holds copper like there is no tomorrow. After using copper remover a couple dozen patches, brushing with the copper remover, brushing with hoppes, patches with hoppes, etc patches with copper remover solvent still come out with some blue on them and the copper streaks are hard to get out. This is after maybe 4 shots with j words. If Midway or Brownells ever get the .30cal Tubb Final Finish kits in stock I'm going to run them through it to try and make it cast ready. I probably just should rebarrel it but I'll try the cheap way first. I take it Kimber has a better bore finish on their barrels?
    Me personally, I would not hesitate to firelap that sucker! I don't know why you need to wait for Midway or Brownells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast