Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New slug design

New slug design

Here we go again...

This time I will try to combine a sabot slug with a Brenneke helical profile to get a slug that is as simple as possible - yet reasonable accurate. I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Brenneke clone with injection molded wads. By adding the helical ribs to the wad instead of the slug, the casting of the slug will be faster and more simple as it can be done in a "normal" mold. Also, the slug has a spigot instead of an internal cavity and should hold up better when hunting dinosaurs.

The two parts are meant to be pressed together with considerable force - no glue or screw. The reason for the square spigot/hole is just in case I later would want to make a plain wad without ribs for rifled barrels - then the square shape will keep the slug from rotating in the wad.

The combined wad/slug is rather short and lack any form of sealing and crushing in the wad. I have yet to find anything better than the x12x seal for foundation when stacking a slug load so this what I'll use here.
    Notice the rather pointed nose on the slug. While it no doubt results in a better ballistic profile, I hope it will improve the airflow over the front of the ribs and help to induce some extra spin in the slug. The pointed shape should also move the drag a bit further down the slug to improve stability (my previous sleeve-slug design became extremely unstable when crossed with a pure flat-nose slug)

This is what the wads look like so far. Next step will be to make the mold for the slug.

Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

You and Uncle Dino are brothers by different mothers!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Man those look great.. Wish you were closer. D

That is wicked! I'm definately interested in how this progresses!

Kraken Fan #69

very cool, even if it doesn't spin, which it looks like it should, the rib around the exterior base of the wad will provide some rear end drag to help keep it pointed in the right direction. the point is smart, with a blunt profile, the fins will be in a low pressure "wake", which would either reduce or ruin the efficiency of the angled fins
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm liking the looks of that Cap'n Morgan!

I gotta ask though... why a square shank on that lead nose cone? A press fit with cylindrical shank would be easier to make (I think anyway) and should provide plenty of hold in the plastic tail wad. Just curious... and I know you must have a reason.

You might have to beef up the ribs but recovered slugs will tell you if you do. The AQ slugs I shot had quite "beefy" ribs and they tended to flatten out quite a bit. Not sure what the plastic or hardness was on those though and they didn't have a lead shank down inside either so that may take some of the compression away from the tail wad.

Good stuff and as always terrific work!

Longbow

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... very very cool.. you are really having a blast with the injected wad stuff... I imagine now that you are all tooled up with the injection stuff, your imagination is your only limit... very very cool.. I imagine hogtamer and longbow are drooling all over themselves!!!

I imagine the square shank will totally prevent the slug from rotating independently of the wad... great idea!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

If I’d only had half the skill you and Uncle D have. I’m excited to see the finished product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, thanks for your positive feedback. Time will tell if the project has any merit, but it's always fun to tinker with new ideas.

As Longbow pointed out, I may have to enlarge the ribs and maybe the overall diameter as well as the wads have shrunk a tad more than expected, but it's easy to enlarge a mold - not so much the other way around!

To be continued...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    very cool, keep us updated

Great idea, especially the square shaft. The only thing I would question is the leading edge of that wad catching or folding as it leaves the casing, especially with a roll crimp. If the leading edge of the wad was flush and just the ribs extended outside the slug it would probably open the crimp better, with less chance of rolling the leading edge of the wad backwards. If the slug itself was as large in diameter as the wad, the slug shoulder would open the crimp and make it easier for the wad to pass out of the casing/hull.

Rally.

The reason for the slug being smaller than the wad, is, that the combined slug must be able to pass through a full choke without damaging the choke. My Brenneke clone utilize a full diameter slug, but here the slug has ribs (and a hollow base) to allow the slug to be fired through a choked barrel.
    Cap'n Morgan

Capn Morgan,
    I admire the concept and design, but at launch, the wad will compress to some extent first, before the actual slug starts moving. I'm picturing the leading edge of that wad rolling outward, to the extent the hull/ chamber will allow, upon compression, as the actual slug starts moving. The edge of the crimp is going to be in the near vicinity, and I'm guessing, going to cause some deformation of the leading edge of that wad. If the deformation is uniform, it may not hurt a thing, but like electricity, plastic tends to take the path of least resistance under pressure. If I were as capable as you obviously are, at forming this wad, where the leading edge is now, I'd add a band equal to, or even twice as thick as the ribs on the sides are. My reasoning being that there is going to be some gas leakage, and the ribs are going to help divert that gas to the top leading edge of the wad. With the rib all away around the top edge, upon launch, it would compress to hull/chamber/bore diameter and form a second forward gas seal, and also help during constriction at the forcing cone, trip down the bore, and at choke constriction( if any). I'm guessing it would also help with stabilizing the base of the slug during launch. The forward rib would likely be the first thing to come in contact with the outward edge of the crimp also.

Today I got around to make a mold for the new slug:

Hope to cast some slugs next week.
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned

You have mad skills
    I have long felt the AQ design, your design is the answer. The plastic ribbed tail was larger than the business end which made sense to me. .678” v 660” ??? May have been full Bore, .730” v .690”
    I am impressed by your efforts as they are way above my skill set.
    I see you addressed this in post # 12
    Last edited by jmort; 02-23-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Send some of those over my way I will give them a proper testing. :}

They look great. Keep up the good work.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes! Drooling all over myself sums it up!

This is impressive stuff to say the least!

Cap'n Morgan is definitely on the cutting edge.

I'll be eagerly waiting (and drooling) waiting for range reports.

Longbow

Tagged for greatness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cast a few slugs today. The concept works exactly as hoped. The wad/slug fit are so tight I can't imagine them ever separating in flight. The combined weight is slightly over an ounce (450 grains), which was what I aimed for, as I would like to try a lighter (and faster) slug with the Red Dot equivalent powder I normally use.

All that remain is to load up a handful of shells and off to the range... Unfortunately, the weather is freezing cold with high winds, BRRRRrrr...... so actual testing may have to wait awhile.

Cap'n Morgan

Didn't know you are a machinist. Nicely done Sir!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast