RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Uniform Identification help??

Boolit Mold

Uniform Identification help??

Hello!

I'm looking to see if any one can help identify the uniform in the picture. Also possibly what the decorations mean? I'm trying to find out for my mother. This is a painting of my great grand parents. I was told my grandmother immigrated to the US from Germany before WWII. I later found out she was from southern Austria. I don't know exactly were but they spoke German, Slavic, and Croatian. Her father ( gentleman in the painting) was in the army. This would have been WWI era. During WWII his brother was shot by the Germans for refusing to let them commandeer the farmhouse and my great grandfather was taken to a consideration camp were he later died. I believe he was in the Austin army but not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Chuck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 025201893525.jpg  

Boolit Master

From the general color/cut of the uniform, collar tabs, and triangular shape of ribbons on his medals, your ancestor appears to have been a corporal...two silver star collar tabs...in the army of the Austro-Hungarian Empire during WWI, . Without any unit insignia, it's difficult to determine anything more definite but, if I recall correctly, the black piping on his dress tunic would indicate he was an infantryman (landwehr).

Bill

ADDED AFTER A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH:

As that picture appears to be a hundred year-old, hand-tinted photo...possibly even a tintype...the accuracy of its colors is somewhat questionable, however, the wine-red ribbon on the left appears to be a 'Wound Medal'. The other...white with the red stripe...doesn't show up in any of my sources but, oddly enough, I found a very similar pattern in a number of WW1 era photos of Austrian troops in dress uniform...both officers and enlisted...so I suspect it MAY be a 'mobilization' award similar to a U.S. campaign ribbon. I've found references to such awards but no pictures.

Much the same goes for the tassels on his braided lanyard. In the pic they show up with a reddish tint on a darker, perhaps green, background. If those tassels were actually green, it could indicate the wearer was a Tyrolean mountain troop. And, as the Tyrol is located in southern Austria, could fit with your information.
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-25-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added information
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Thank you very much for your reply. A lot of family history has been lost over the years and it's nice to put some of the pieces back together. It's funny after reading your reply I remembered I have a few austrian M95s from 1916 and 1919. Although highly unlikely the exact rifles would have been carried by my great grandfather; it's amazing to think he carried the same model from the same time period.
    Thanks again!
    Chuck