Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bought an ingot of tin. How do I get 200 grains from it?

Boolit Man
    I use a propane torch to drip my pewter into the pan of my powder scale. Once it tips at 500 grains, I empty it and refill. I have a ziplock full of 500 grain chunks of pewter.

One thing that I think is important is making darn sure the form of your pewter or solder is distinctive. For example I wouldn't use a Lee ingot mold unless I used it to make thin 1/8 deep ingots. You don't want to accidentally be throwing in 1# ingots you thought were lead that turn out to be pewter or solder. Can't get that tin back out of the alloy after it melts. I would spend the few bucks to have a mold you know is distinctive for tin, bet that duck decoy weight, coins, drips, thin ingots, or a bullet mold you don't reload for. Would stink to realize you just loaded 200 45 ACP with 100% pewter bullets, stink even more if you realized it after sending a bunch of them down range.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Instead of trying to precisely measure the tin, I would always start with the tin and figure out how much lead I needed to add to hit my ratio. Seemed easier that way, since the amounts of lead are so much more than the tin. I would buy it in big ingots from a guy I used to know, then I'd melt them down and cast partial ingots in my own moulds. Some were heavy and some lighter. I worked for me, having a variety of weights I could combine to get close to what I wanted.

Seems two pounds of alloy is a pretty small amount, unless you just wanted a little bit to test something...

Moderator Emeritus

The first batch of Tin I acquired (from a member here), was lead-free solder (99.xx % tin), I melted the large ingots into my cleaned out casting pot, and poured some 250gr Lee REAL boolits, I also kept all the sprues, and I tried to pour different size sprues, so I had a varied batch of sizes.

Since then, I have used regular ingot molds and pour very thin ingots that are easily cut-able.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    YMMV depending on the weight of your pewter.
    I smelted/fluxed/cast different boolits with pewter until I got close to .003 grns of 1/2 oz

1 batch easy alloy boolits

Last edited by Grmps; 01-27-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you're drilling & want to keep the chips under control, try a plastic bowl or tupperware (translucent is best), cut a hole thru the bottom, then drill away. You can see what you're doing & it keeps the results pretty well under control. Beats the older way I did it with a {clean LOL} toilet paper roll :P

I made a mold that cast a 1.6 oz ingot. just about right for 5 lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingots.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	212819

Nice. How did you make the mold for them?

I used a 5/8" ball nose end mill bit to cut a slot in a 1"x1" piece of aluminum. Did the math to determine the length. Tapped a hole in the end and screwed a handle on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin ingot mold cropped.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	212845
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin ingot mold 02 cropped.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	212892
    SPJ
    Last edited by Steppapajon; 01-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use the small cavities in the standard LEE mold. I fill them 1/2 full and then just hold them with pliers and melt what I need into the casting pot. Melt only the amount I want off and save the rest for another batch.

Don't get hung up on the EXACT % Sn content. This whole thing is just a hobby and we use a lot of guesstimates. I use the amount of Sn that gives me good cast boolits. I have no idea on what the exact % is.......probably around 1% I guess. They all cast beautifully!

I had the same problem, but i just take a different pan, and melted a 50 pound bar of pewter.
    I put beer cans upside down in a box, and i had perfect 0,2 pound round pewter medallions.

Name:	sn.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	212906

Name:	20171229_143605.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	212907

Name:	20171230_112406.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	212908

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=bangerjim;4272972]I use the small cavities in the standard LEE mold. I fill them 1/2 full and then just hold them with pliers and melt what I need into the casting pot. Melt only the amount I want off and save the rest for another batch.

This is what I did the last time that I melted a bunch of odd solder rolls.

Boolit Buddy
    I work in a shop that does radiator repair. When I first started working there. I got 11 5 gal buckets of solder drippings. I smelled it all down and cast it in fishing sinker molds I then cut the eye off the sinkers so I wouldn't end up using them fishing. Now I ended up getting an egg sinker mold and I just cast them without the center rod. So there's no hole in the middle

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppapajon View Post
    I used a 5/8" ball nose end mill bit to cut a slot in a 1"x1" piece of aluminum. Did the math to determine the length. Tapped a hole in the end and screwed a handle on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin ingot mold cropped.jpg 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	212845

Name:	tin ingot mold 02 cropped.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	212892
    SPJ
    You could use that same method to form a trough in a piece of scrap hardwood. Lining the trough with aluminum foil might make it easier to get the ingot out.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12