RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 300 & 350gr Unique/2400 loads

Boolit Buddy
    My go to is 25.5gr 2400 Lee 405gr fphb with a cci 200 at 1250fps out of 7.5” BFR shoot less than 1” at 50yds with 2x leupold scope from bench. Same load in Marlin 1895 runs at 1450fps ..

If 2400 was available locally somehow, I'm itching to try it. Just can't deal with more powder at $70+ the pound with Hazmat + shipping.
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah sad times for the country our own folks in the shooting industry local and big box store price gouging just because they can… primers prices are disgusting �� at best.. i don’t want to open this topic but I’ve used pistol primers in 45-70 when using pistol powder with no issues… I wouldn’t do it with rifle powder but who knows it might work on loads up to level 2

Boolit Buddy
    Just have to be EXTRA careful when loading because 25 gr doesn’t take up much case.. if you’re distracted and double charge a case is all over with.. destroyed gun or even death!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcal762 View Post
    Just have to be EXTRA careful when loading because 25 gr doesn’t take up much case.. if you’re distracted and double charge a case is all over with.. destroyed gun or even death!!
    Thanks, I am planning on being triple careful from past experience - I used to use only 4198 and thank god a double charge spilled everywhere.

At 24-25 grains (seems to be the sweet spot for many folks), do you use a filler?
    -Paul

Boolit Buddy
    I have used fillers before and honestly I didn’t see any difference in the overall accuracy or fps. I drop 25.5 of 2400 a 405gr and let it go.. its easy on shoulder and still will kill anything that it hits..

Quote Originally Posted by mcal762 View Post
    I have used fillers before and honestly I didn’t see any difference in the overall accuracy or fps. I drop 25.5 of 2400 a 405gr and let it go.. its easy on shoulder and still will kill anything that it hits..
    Great, thanks for the info. It will be interesting.
    -Paul

I have had good results with Oregon Trail Silver 405 gr-27.5 grs of 2400 -with a wisp of tissue to keep
    the powder in place close to the primer. It pushes the 405 gr bullet to just under 1400 -about 1390 fps-which is acceptable.
    A bit more than a target loading, but dead coyotes tell no tales. Pushes back similar to black powder.

It has been used with success in a 30 in barreled Sharps and an early Marlin 1895 22 in bbl rifle. {Loading requires care: hand weigh and charge each case-watch powder levels CAREFULLY with 2400.} Will use 4198 in an original Winchester 1886 and 1885, 405 gr same bullet-no
    jacketed bullets used with 2400. This loading is a bit more authoritative than the 25 gr loading and is quite effective on deer or even black bear.

(Alliant/Herc 2400 can be found at local gun shows w/o HAZMAT-Same with primers.)
    Last edited by 450 Fuller; 08-03-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this thread I'll try 25 grains of 2400 in my Marlin Guide Gun with its favorite cast 405 grain bullet.

My current low recoil tack driving load is 25 grains of H322, so if you have that powder on hand you might want to give that a try too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12