RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Bass Pro gone mad?

Boolit Master
    These companies have really good accountants. They totally understand the concept of supply and demand. There's a price point where people will pay for items before they start to say "no". As long as people keep buying at these high prices, the prices will stay high. I don't like it, but I understand it. Start shopping somewhere else. Lost sales will lower prices, not complaining about it.

BPI has Alliant 15, 17, 19, all in stock all at 26.79 to which you will have to add hazmat and shipping.

But, buy in bulk, like 4 4lb jugs or a pair of 8's, and several sleeves of primers and it is not so bad.
    And having it stashed and not having to pay those kind of prices. Well that is just priceless IMO.

Boolit Master
    I quit buying anything at Bass Pro gun related or any thing else for that matter when they started making you take a number at the gun counter just to look at a gun or ask a question.As for the high price posted for the powder in the photo above that is also a very big turn off.
    The BP in Springfield MO has a outlet store next door to the main store.You can find some good deals there some times if you look for them. case in point last week I walked in and they had 2 bricks of Federal 1000 each large rifle MATCH primers for 20.00 dollars each.I bought both right then.43.00 dollars total with tax for 2000 primers.Still to high of a price for primers I think but in today market not to bad of a price.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    These companies have really good accountants. They totally understand the concept of supply and demand. There's a price point where people will pay for items before they start to say "no". As long as people keep buying at these high prices, the prices will stay high. I don't like it, but I understand it. Start shopping somewhere else. Lost sales will lower prices, not complaining about it.
    I don't think they do understand supply and demand - if they did they would notice nobody buys their components because they are so expensive; they would then lower the prices. They don't do this.

When they do notice nobody buys them, they simply go out of the components business.

I don't mind paying more in-store than on-line, if for no other reason than to keep a local store going, but NOT THAT MUCH more.

Boolit Master

Midsouth has most of my powders for between $20-30 depending on the powder, and I pickup so no shipping or hazmat..though I do have a 10%ish tax

They have had powder at this price even when there was little to no powder to be had, so they keep my business.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

If Bass Pro has really "gone mad" then it must be contagious. After Gander Mountain folded here (they didn't sell reloading supplies, anyway), we got a 'Field & Stream' as an adjunct to a greatly expanded 'Dick's'. Prices are absolutely gonzo: the last time I wandered through...I'm a 'mall walker' doing a mile+ daily as part of a physical therapy program...the small selection of powder they had on hand was about the same as in the OP and primers $5.49/100. 'Dunham's' over in Danville is almost as bad but 'Big R' (farm, home, and auto)...on the other side of town carries a small variety of Hogdgen and WW powders in the $25-$28/lb. range. Go figure....

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    I don't think they do understand supply and demand - if they did they would notice nobody buys their components because they are so expensive; they would then lower the prices. They don't do this.

When they do notice nobody buys them, they simply go out of the components business.

I don't mind paying more in-store than on-line, if for no other reason than to keep a local store going, but NOT THAT MUCH more.
    ditto

Graf’s has $10 hazmat when you buy 4 pounds or more.

Vendor Sponsor

Here in the west (Rocky Mountains) we have a retail chain, Sportsman's Warehouse who competes directly with BrassPro. They are well stocked and most powder is $25 give or take. Four pound jug of 2400 came home with me this week for $90 plus tax. Primers are $3.50 for most sizes and brands I use.

Brass Pro does not seem to have the business/foot trafic they did a few years ago. People looking in the aisle and not that many buying, and like me, wander off to look at some other over priced part of the store. I wish they would not try to get all my money on the first sale. Marketing experts!? Shame of it is, I hate to loose any firearms friendly retail store.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    It’s worth checking out bullets.com for primers and powder that are on sale right now if you happen to need any.

During the shortage BP raised prices really high, so high that they usually had powder that would be sold out most places. So they understand how to price in a scarcity market but not in a competitive one. You could get most powders there because unless you were desperate you wouldn't pay their prices. Same idea as the scalpers with the stacks of .22 LR for really high prices. If you want (or need) it bad enough you will pay the price.

I need to start saving some money up to do a bulk order. Then forget about it needing to buy more for awhile. I think if I picked up just a few thousand more primers and a few 4# and 8# jugs I would be set for life. Or until I get serious about loading for shotgun

Perspective might change when I retire and have more free time.

I'm not going to buy from BP, I find even Cabela's while high doesn't totally ignore market price. And as someone pointed out there can be deals to be had at Cabela's if you look around. I'll go to a gun show before either one. Online is the cheapest I have found, but only if you can order in bulk to spread shipping or hazmat across more purchases.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Looks like bps is taking a play from the gander mt play book. Retail plus 25 to 30 percent and look what happened to them.

Boolit Master
    That price approach didn't work for Gander Mountain. I think bass pro may have expanded itself into a corner they are trying to get out of by over pricing some items. I'd love to know what what their debt is like right now.

Boolit Master
    This Is free enterprise @ work. It may be High to you But Not to others. Retail stores have overhead some More Or less Than Others
    don't buy and keep walking
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Bp is trying to compensate for the 3.3 billion dollar purchase of cabelas.
    Good luck bean counters!
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Banned
    Bi-Mart has:
    All Reloading Powder, Hornady Reloading Bullets & Hornady Reloading Brass
    $2 Off ELB
    ELB up to $39.97
    Subject to Stock on Hand
    Valid Jan 25 to Jan 31 2018

I picked up several pounds fo $19.99 on the last sale

Pictures are recent but maybe not current

Boolit Master

Bass Pro here has always had bad prices on all reloading equipment, but yes, lately, I just roll my eyes and keep walking.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

A while back Bass Pro offered a $10.00 credit on purchase on $50 or more. Also free ship to store with no hazmat fee. Even with all that they were still overpriced on powder & primers.
    One guy I know made a good point, they didn't charge hazmat for orders shipped to store but they made the hazmat plus some by charging such outrageous prices.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes I think they are a bit nutz! You can reign them in by using your wallet to send a message, it is still America.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Only have one LGS All the powder is the same price $37.99lb

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast