RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Has Bass Pro gone mad?

Boolit Bub
    Yes, BassPro has been crazy for awhile. While traveling I stopped in the one near Little Rock Arkansas. While there I watched one of the store employees opening up powder to "show the difference" to a customer. BassPro gets none of my hard earned cash, and I've all but stopped spending money with Cabela's since the merger. I still buy a little powder and some primers now and then as Cabela's powder prices have held steady in this part of the country.

Boolit Mold
    I usually pick up my components at gun shows. The ones in nearby Columbus Ga happen at least every 6 months and coincide with the end of basic training at Fort Benning.

Boolit Buddy
    Never been to a Bass Pro before, but spend alittle at the Cabela's, in Sun Praire, from time to time. What's hard for me is, I have to pass by Sauk City, and ReCobs takes all my money in the reloading fund, before I even reach Cabela's. A new Fleet Farm just opened in Deforest, and they sell reloading stuff, too. Will have to make another road trip north.

Boolit Master

Turners here in SoCal has the exclusive market on powder here. There are a very few other places to buy, but they are just as bad. And the gunshow in San Diego at the racetrack just got closed down. Only one left is Orange County. When they close it down we'll have to buy off the internet . That'll be the end for me. I've only got $35.00 a month to spend on shooting. It's $38.00 a lb for most powders at TURNERS and $35.00 a thousand for primers. Add in 9.5% Sales tax and $3 a gallon gas , I can afford the RIFLE Range fees of $25 only twice a year. With about 4 trips to the INDOOR Range. Thank the GOOD LORD I cast my own bullets, and have 600lbs+ of alloy.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

"coincide with the end of basic training at Fort Benning."

It's been a while since I was updated on Basic Training-which posts conducted it, length of, etc. As I recall it was cyclic, every 8 weeks with a week or several interval, then repeated. Has that changed, or was the timing coincidental?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    I'm not military myself, just going on what I've been told.

Fort Benning's site says it could be up to 16 weeks, depending on MOS, but apparently, not less than 10.

Boolit Master

Fort Benning has One Station Unit Training (OSUT)for the Infantry Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), so after the initial 8 weeks of basic training, they can receive an additional 6 weeks of MOS training.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I had accumulated $475 worth of Cabela Gift cards and had only been to one once. I went to the
    Wheeling,WVa store when it had just opened. Wasn't impressed, especially with their prices and never went back. Last fall my Bro got on me to cash them in before Bass Pro deal might make them
    void. Anyway made a trip over and after wandering around found nothing I wanted at their prices and ended up buying powder which wasn't that bad, between $20 & $25 a lb. At shows around here
    it's running within $2 of that. Know I'm getting Bass Pro gift cards and I've never been to one of them. I will probably cash them in on components too.

Boolit Buddy
    Walks - Im in the same boat. I feel your pain.

Boolit Bub
    I stopped by one of the Cabelas in my area, Lacey, WA and was surprised that 4, 5, or 8 pound jugs of powder were no longer available. When I asked why, the sales associate advised me it was a "corporate decision". The used gun selection was marginal and there were a few used handguns in the gun library. This seems to be the norm now for Cabelas and BPS. Wont be going back any time soon.

Boolit Grand Master

I stopped in the local Cabeals last week. It looked like it was going out of business. I’ve never seen it so sparsely populated w/ products. Bargain Cave is gone and in its place is hunting camo. That used to take up 80% of the clothing floor space. Now that’s full of Red Head and other casual clothing. There were practically no used guns. There’s usually ten twelve racks out. This time there was three. I can’t imagine paying what it costs to run a massive store like that and having nothing in it. I don’t see them lasting long.

Boolit Master

my wife was running erands in denver last week so I had her drop by cabelas to use up our points, she bought me all the primers they had---5 bricks. they used to have gobs.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Just for information only. For anyone in need of BLC2 - H335 or couple more types. S T Auctions has new old stock 8 lb jugs, he is selling on Gunbroker. Most powder is going for around 100$ for 16 lbs + 38$ hazmat/shipping.
    The easiest way to see his adds is google ST Auctions and that leads you directly to GB sales for his products. Kevin
    I got 16 lbs. BLC2 with shipping 150$
    Last edited by kbstenberg; 11-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    For those who may not know, that powder is WC 846... The H335 "equivalent" is WC 844... That's gonna be my next buy from ST Auctions....

Boolit Buddy

Email some of the powders sources

[QUOTE=Texas by God;4270810]Around here, Bass Pro is the most expensive followed closely by Cabelas. Gander Mtn WAS the worst but they closed........ my LGS beats that powder price by $10 a pound at least.[/QUOTE

Midway, Natchez, Powder Valley, Midsouth to name a few sources offer deals and email you so you will know what is on sale. Fathers Day and any national holiday are good times to get emails from the listed companies. Most will ship primer and powder (Midway separate hazmat) orders together. If you need to add to an order to make the deal talk to fellow shooters or club members and stock up. afish4570
    Last edited by afish4570; 11-17-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: forgot to ad deals on what is on sale

Boolit Grand Master

Has Bass Pro gone mad?

Deleted due to post below.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-20-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    The easiest way to see his adds is google ST Auctions and that leads you directly to GB sales for his products. Kevin
    Did you receive the powder? Should have read the reviews on them before purchasing. Tracking said it should have been here today. Now it just says pending. Other order is supposed to be here on Friday. Both are showing as labels created and that’s it. Not happy about this as they have a lot of negative reviews for failure to receive product before 30 days. I’m going to give them more time but not much.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been fixin' to order from ST Auctions at the end of next week... Sure like to hear somebody say they had a worthwhile experience.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I have never been to Cabela's, It has been at least 10 years since I was in the Bass Pro that is a couple hours away. They only sold (at that time) primers in 100 count sleeves , and the price was high!
    This was just one of the things that made me shake my head, leave and never look back.
    I was cautiously excited when a Gander Mountain opened much closer to me. I should have been more cautious and a lot less excited. Like many retail chains they would change what was carried in the store. Then as time went on the knowledgeable employees left and it became a "Walmart" with a large sporting goods department. My last visit there was to purchase a couple pounds of Goex for my muzzle loader. I had purchased Goex there before. After the guys at the counter questioned me repeatedly about what a Goex is someone came out of the back with a bottle of " Hog Don" . It was "the only black powder" they had. It was HP38. Could you imagine some one new to muzzle loading pulling the trigger on a vial of HP38 with a ball compressing it, in a front stuffer?!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345