Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Bass Pro gone mad?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That's nice of them, but then why not buy from the competitor?
    Sometimes they don't have it in stock, or you have a BassPro gift card someone gave you. Or you just happen to be on that side of town. But I do see your point, I tend to shop at the stores that I don't have to beg for a better price.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Any H380 users here?? Someone earlier mentioned bullets.com. I had never heard of them nor used them but after visiting their site I placed a powder order. Haven't got it yet so can't really give a review of the vendor, but.... they have all their powders marked down. H380 for example is $12.95/#. I think I got the last of the 4198 (wanted 8# think I'm ending up with 4) but they are worth a look. They are going to charge $20 hazmat along with regular shipping but depending on how much you buy, the lower prices offset those fees easily. Hopefully I will end up with 11 pounds of powder for about $21/# delivered. Supposed to ship today and I'll keep you posted.

Guess I should have looked at primers before I ordered as well. Seems to be very good deals on what they have left.
    Last edited by RustyReel; 01-31-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Here in the west (Rocky Mountains) we have a retail chain, Sportsman's Warehouse who competes directly with BrassPro. They are well stocked and most powder is $25 give or take. Four pound jug of 2400 came home with me this week for $90 plus tax. Primers are $3.50 for most sizes and brands I use.

Brass Pro does not seem to have the business/foot trafic they did a few years ago. People looking in the aisle and not that many buying, and like me, wander off to look at some other over priced part of the store. I wish they would not try to get all my money on the first sale. Marketing experts!? Shame of it is, I hate to loose any firearms friendly retail store.
    Two or three local stores beat Sportsman's so bad I hardly walk into the place. They are cheaper than Cabelas but that is all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

No Bass Pro near me. Closest Cabela's is in CT and you need special dispensation from the pope or something to be able to purchase hazmat stuff in that state. So no thanks. LGS's realize that plus the nearest to NYC and so prices are take or leave it and I do leave it. Graf & Son orders with no hazmat fee and $9 shipping work just fine. Oh I did order a couple of hundred pounds of #7.5 lead shot from Cabela's back when they had it on sale and offered free shipping! Cheaper shipped to the door than if I drove to the cheapest supplier and overloaded the car with it. Used my stored Club points and I think it cost me under $50 out of pocket. UPS man must still hate me!
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Buddy
    There's no local store supply store for me. Bass Pro is about an hour and a half away so their prices don't attract me. . Midsouth Shooters Supply gets most of my powder business as I have family that lives near Claksville TN. The only real exception is Alliant Powder. For some reason Recobs Target Shop has it for a better price. For example BE-86 in 8 lb jugs, Recobs is 129.69 and it's $150 from Midsouth. Enough difference to almost cover the hazmat fee. I figure the additional shipping charge from Recobs washes the sales tax I pay at Midsouth.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up on Alliant/ Recobs Emo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Bub
    The past presidential legacy lives on !

Super Moderator

.............The absolute best way to buy powder/primers (or probably anything for that matter) is in bulk. Several years ago I used to shoot EVERY Tuesday with several other guys. There was about 8 of us. We either had that as a day off, a couple were retired, and a couple owned small businesses. A couple could show every other Monday. Generally there there was 4-6 each Tuesday. Heck, the range was only 5.2 miles from my driveway About 6 years ago a developer was able to get it shut down. A long and painful story, not germane here.

Maybe 3 times a year we'd get together a list of the powders & primers we were needing. Also surplus powders were also a large part of what we used. In any event, either via mailings or the 'Net' later on we'd monitor the usual suspects and when one or more had a promotion the group would be canvased for any updating/alterations, and an order would be placed. Graf & Sons had a deal a couple times a year where if you ordered 96 lbs or more of 'In Stock' powder it would ship FREE on a small pallet with no Haz Mat (which was like $7 at the time) to a commercial address. We used the range's address.

The largest powder order we ever made was 128 lbs. Primers weren't that big an issue as 3 times a year there was a HUGE gunshow at the Los Angeles fairgrounds and Mi-Wall was there. Several of us would go, and if we bought anything we'd buy primers! We went through the "Clinton" scare of the early 90's and swore we'd never be without a good supply again. The scare lasted about a year and I made it, but was running low. Heck, I still have a couple sleeves of nickle plated Winchester LRP's We'd usually pick them up on the way out so we didn't have to hump them all over the place and I'd usually get 3-4 sleeves.

In any event, if you can get some like minded buddies together that's what I'd do. So far as I know, like anything else it will never be cheaper then it is right now.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Poor images, but the illustration of price is there to see.
    $15.99 for a pound of IMR 4227 back in 2000, and here is a pound of Hodgdon Universal Clay's for 30.99 three weeks ago. I can certainly tell you that my wages have not doubled in these last 18 years.

Boolit Mold
    Sometimes you get lucky. A couple of years ago I was in Sportsman's Warehouse and they had Winchester large rifle primers on the shelf for 99 cents/100. I grabbed all 13. They rang up at $3.99 each. I had them call the hunting dept and they confirmed that the price on the shelf was 99 cents and they sold them to me for that.

Soon after that they pulled all the powder and primers off the shelves and now you have to ask for it and they get it from the back.

If you have a Murdochs near you, they've got powder on sale right now. Only available in-store - they don't ship. Primers too. I was looking at CCI LR for $2.97/100. Even I can afford that!
    Sale ends today though.
    Last edited by Knightflyer; 04-05-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Looks like a bargain to me... £40 ($56) a pound would be cheap here in the U.K.
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Here in the west (Rocky Mountains) we have a retail chain, Sportsman's Warehouse who competes directly with BrassPro. They are well stocked and most powder is $25 give or take. Four pound jug of 2400 came home with me this week for $90 plus tax. Primers are $3.50 for most sizes and brands I use.

Brass Pro does not seem to have the business/foot trafic they did a few years ago. People looking in the aisle and not that many buying, and like me, wander off to look at some other over priced part of the store. I wish they would not try to get all my money on the first sale. Marketing experts!? Shame of it is, I hate to loose any firearms friendly retail store.
    As far as I can tell, Sportsman’s Warehouse is the only store within 100+ miles that sells powder in 4 or 8 pound jugs. None of the gun shops I frequent have more than the barest smattering of powders in one pound bottles.

I mostly buy powder at SW or at gun shows. I did order some 2400 from Rekob’s during the great banic because it was nowhere else to be found.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    roger that on sportsmen's warehouse. most of their prices are insane (i live in Tucson), but every so often a deal can be had. i recently picked up 8 lbs of rl 23 for $143. just have to check.

Boolit Bub
    You're forgetting about the whole Corps thing. The guy who owns Bass Pro bought Cabelas- for $4,000,000,000. This ain't supporting Mom and Pop and a kid going to Community College- you are supporting huuge offices, huuge admin salaries, and a huuge number of stockholders. Which means the overhead rate (ie, "skim" or "grift" vig) has gotten huuge also.
    The BPS LLC Corps is Huuge! They've "re-aligned" their strategies in order to appear more competitive and profitable to the Wall Street crowd. Financial finaglers are worried it's getting a little top heavy.
    BTW, it's also a model for "Outdoor Man". Tho Tim's shop is a miniature version.
    Last edited by gidgaf; 09-19-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Fergot Sumpin

Boolit Buddy

Graf & Sons often has no or low hazmat fee deals involving Noble Vectan powders and once the quantity of Vectan is met you can then add other powder/primers (up to 50 pounds total?) to the order. Shipping is a fixed $7.95 per order. Vectan powders are cheap too. Each 1/2 Kg bottle has 1.1 lbs (~10% extra) and when on sale are often $15/bottle so is less than that per pound. You just need to download their Vectan load data to get worked up loads for many cartridges if you want to use this new to the USA brand more vs. other stuff that we've been using.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master
    Over here powders about £42 a pound ,when I started handloiading im sure it was about £ 17 a pound .

It's just marketing! reloading stuff is for the 'newcomer' or causal shopper. Why is the candy/battery/sunglass rack next to the checkout? Except during Obama years, they don't expect to make a lot of gun sales. As much of their stuff is 'white label' they do have inventory to carry. You go in to get new camo for deer season, wander over to the gun rack and see that one you always wanted, have cash or plastic in your pocket. Bingo.
    Whatever!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    simple answer to your question is YES!!! i pay $19.99 for same product at local store.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    They have always been high enough in the store to turn me away. Add the sales tax and it is even worse. It isn't climbing like that at some of the online retailers. I just order mine now. Even with hazmat and shipping, it's much cheaper than BassPro.
    Shooting reloading buddy is competitive skeet shooter and I travel about 2X year for SML matches. We stock up with the reps that usually have some kind of kiosk set up at the competitions. Plus I'm only 3 hr drive to Back Creek next to the NSSA range and I think they still have almost any variety of holy black available when there are matches there. And we have an informal network of guys that travel sometimes and if going buy a powder retailer we stock up. Example is I managed to get 11 lbs of 4759 when I heard of it's demise and before it disappeared completely. I do really enjoy walking into the big box sporting goods stores and try the old "meet your competition" price thing. Have quite a few pix on the phone of prices of powder in the mom & pop shops. Always an alibi in the BP and Cabelas stores, I laugh and tell them they just missed a sale, and they really don't care at all, being salaried hourly employees. My opinion, others will vary. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast