Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Bass Pro gone mad?

Boolit Master

They have had higher prices on most any product than Cabelas in the past and now that they have to pay for the purchase of Cabelas they may have to charge slightly more.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Welcome to the world of increased Distributor Prices
    I deal with a local reloading supplier that has more inventory than any of the box stores. Price for a pound of IMR 4350 last Friday - $35.00 plus NJ Sales Tax @ 7%
    Ouch. $25 here +tax.

Yep voting with wallet. I may go to Cabela's soon and if prices there for components such as primers are not better than gun show I won't be buying. There is a LGS with a good selection of powder about an hours drive each way. But they have an actual gunsmith so I will make that trip once in a while and when I do I plan on buying some supplies. The people I go to at gun shows, or that LGS did not jack prices up during the shortage. If they had it they priced it fairly. That behavior earned them a solid "yes" vote from my wallet. Cheaper than Dirt? Maybe not so much.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

The last 1lb bottle of RL Powder I bought was a 1lb bottle of RL22 I picked up at a local gun-show for $22

three last before that Was three 1lb cans of IMR-3031, I got at Glenrock Reloading for $15each (he wanted to get rid of it) and I wish I had had the funds for 10 more.... Just don't go there looking for it that was January, 2008, I'm sure it is gone by now

But just recently I scored a 4lb of Unique and found another almost full 4lb container I had forgotten I had.

These yuppie sports stores are almost all located on the most expensive real estate in the town they reside. Just like Harley Davidson they have to charge more to pay the high cost of brick, and mortar business. Unlike Walmart they do not have the volume, or groceries to support such expenses. In the long run it is self defeating, no sales at no matter the profit means big losses.

Boolit Master
    I'm curious does bass pro or cabela even buy the products any more or do they basically lease out shelf space and take a percentage. Its just not seem right if they have the "buying power" they should offer better prices. Then again I don't want to see what the over head is for these huge stores.
    Heck what does it take just to keep up the big fish tanks in some of the bass pro shops.
    I have only been to the bass pro in Massachuasetts one time and have no desire to ever go back. 90% of my gun stuff is purchased on line. LGS hardly ever have what I want and most LGS won't lean from one side of the stool to the other to get you anything..

Just the power, and lease can easily run over 10 grand a month, that does not take into account the expense of employee payroll, benefits. Employee health insurance has in some states more than tripled what it was just a few years ago with the company taking most of the brunt. A grocery store in a high rent area can easily turn 200 to 500 thousand dollars a week, sports stores would be lucky to see that in a month.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was shocked last weekend to see Acragel at $40!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I always try to catch s&b primers at cabelas but it always seem they are out of stock until after the sale. I guess you can advertise any price if you don't have any.

Boolit Buddy
    I NEVER buy anything at Cabels's unless it is on sale at a good price that I know is fair and those times are rare indeed. Near where I live, Sportsman's Warehouse has the best prices in the Reno area for the most part. However, I just pick up my supplies at BiMart in Oregon-far cheaper than Cabela's and no state sales tax to pay either!!

Boolit Master

In the Nashville area, we have two reloading shops that are doing very well underselling BP. I have to drive by Bass Pro several time monthly. The last time I stopped in was 2007.

Boolit Master
    Bass Pro,Cabela's seem to be the most expensive places for powder bar none. There are a fee shops that carry powder around here but of late I've been getting powder and primers online. I check in with a buddy and make a bulk order and split the haz mat fee.

Boolit Buddy
    Those prices are a bit higher than our Sportsman's Warehouse by about 20%, but not totally unreasonable for this area.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Had Bass Pro remained mostly a catalog/internet store they would not need the high prices. Just like Sears these stores get to big for their britches, and move away from the market plan that made them successful in the first place. If they had kept it at a few stores in high tourist locals they would get the foot traffic to justify a brick, and mortar store. But since they place so many stores it is not a novelty. Just bad business, and they will eventually end up like GM.

I refuse to buy anything from Cabelas due to their refusal to cooperate with law enforcement on credit card fraud. I will not risk giving my personal information to a company that has that low a regard for honest consumers and LE.

Those prices are still cheaper than up here in the Great White North.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You have to be totally insane (or very rich) to buy ANYTHING from BIG***PROSHOP. Their prices are totaly out of site. If that is the ONLY source you have for reloading supplies.....may God have mercy on your soul.

I buy from Sportsmans Whorehouse. Prices better there.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 02-01-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have bought most of my powder/primers when they are on sale from on-line dealers.
    Midsouth is one of our advertisers and usually has really good prices.
    Support our advertisers.

Boolit Master
    I agree, I typically only shop Bass Pro when they have good sells on or shop the clearance section. However, they do have a price match policy, if you can show a competitor has it cheaper, they will match it.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    I agree, I typically only shop Bass Pro when they have good sells on or shop the clearance section. However, they do have a price match policy, if you can show a competitor has it cheaper, they will match it.

Rosewood
    That's nice of them, but then why not buy from the competitor?

Those are some dreamy prices... Can't remember the last time I bought anything at Bass Pro. I do like Cabela's for two things. Their canvas pistol and lever gun cases are the best out there bar none. That's all I've ordered in the last ~4 years. Dick's can sometimes have decent sales, last black Friday's ammo deals we're good, other than that I don't buy much from them.

It's 2018, brick and mortar just can't compete I guess.

Last hazmat sale at Midsouth I ordered 2 Trailboss 2 pounders @ 51.70 each, two 9 ouncers for $14.64 each, and a pound of H110 for $21.69. Trail Boss is expensive but I figure with the free hazmat the 9 ounces were free sorta.

Went to a mostly terrible gun show on Sunday, with the exception of one booth. A father and son selling reloading supplies.

They had Winchester primers for $30.50 per box of 1000 and 8 lbs of Unique for $154.00. I took 8 lbs of Unique, 5000 WLPs, and 2000 WLRs home with me.

Still need a little IMR 4198, IMR 4895, and some Red Dot and I'll be good for a bit I think. I don't usually stock up this much but, supply is plentiful and prices are good. Might as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast