Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin 336 in 35 AR, 357 Gremelin.....Thoughts

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 336 in 35 AR, 357 Gremelin.....Thoughts

Afternoon, Thinking of a Marlin 336 in one of the 9 X 39 rounds like the 35 AR or 358 Gremelin.....Thoughts, ideas ...suggestions …..warnings...……..

Regards...….

As impractical as I can be, I'm going to go with the 35 Remington- it's been working for more than a hundred years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A 35 on a Marlin 336, I too can see no reason for anything but the 35 Remington. The 35/30-30 might have some points, BUT REALLY? The brass is NOT THAT HARD to find.

To continue, you'll spend $$$ to come close to a.........35 Remington. Great cartridge in the 336 or the old pump and auto Remingtons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What's your end goal? If you want supersonic performance, look at the .36RPP or .35Rem. Subsonic, I'm less sure on but I'd wager you'd come out ahead by looking for a new .357 Mag and going form there.

Banned

I would go with the Mossberg 464 if you end up deciding on 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Afternoon, Thinking of a Marlin 336 in one of the 9 X 39 rounds like the 35 AR or 358 Gremelin.....Thoughts, ideas ...suggestions …..warnings...……..

Regards...….
    I believe the ballistics of those rounds are loaded to what the AR family of rifles can handle which means loaded to higher pressure than what a Marlin 336 was designed to handle . Also there's that tubular magazine that limits what bullets you can use . Throttle those AR rounds back to 40 K pressures and it's probably the less than what the old 35 Rem can do . Look up ranch dogs 35 Rem loads there at 40k which is higher than what loading manuals work up to . If you just have to have more speed spent the cash you would have spent on a conversion and go buy a bunch of that +p 35 Rem ammo that buffalo bore sells . Bet ya it don't kill a deer any better than the standard Rem factory ammo does .
    Last edited by RU shooter; 08-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Going to be hard to beat the 35Rem in a 336 Marlin. If it's a case of you want to do it just because, then as others have said keep the psi and bolt thrust within reason and put your project in the special projects area. The DNR Zone I hunt doesn't allow for cases longer than 1. 8 inches or bottled neck cases so I'm making a 357 maximum Marlin 336 right now.... Just because.