Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: T/C Seneca 45

Boolit Master

T/C Seneca 45

Was buy the LGS today and they had a T/C Seneca in 45 cal. Price is $479.00. The outside is real nice, no dings or dents. Didn't have my drop in bore light so didn't see the bore.

I am not a 45 shooter and was wondering if that is a good price for a 45 Seneca?

I shoot a 32 and a 36.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Buy it. You cannot hardly find one in any condition anymore.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    I am happy with the ones I have. Don't want to gear up for a new caliber.

Just wondering if it was a deal.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

The asking price is IMHO fair, but average - but if I didn't have one, and wanted one, I would have paid the price in a New York Minute.

I sold a similar .45 Cherokee in excellent condition about a year ago, in a frontstuffer forum, for $450.
    I also sold a .36 Seneca, in like condition, about 6 mos ago for $700.

I kept my .45 Seneca, as it makes a wonderful, lightweight, yet effective, deer rifle for my local muzzleloading season.

The reason for the price differentials are that the .45 cal Cherokee's & Seneca's made up the bulk of the production of these down-sized (compared to T/C Hawken's) sporting rifles - with the .32's much harder to find, and the .36's very difficult to find (in excellent condition) and ergo priced accordingly.

For those unfamiliar with the T/C Cherokee/Seneca/Patriot muzzleloaders, the barrels are thinner (13/16" as opposed to 15/16" or 1"), as are the stocks & lockworks, with the rifles weighing in +/- (Seneca/Cherokee) 5lbs (as opposed to 8-9lbs for Hawken's).

Last edited by pietro; 01-24-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Seldom see such T/C small framed rifles up this way. If I do happen across one in this local the response is usually: (not for sale)
    Than again I think the 45 cal of the three marketed is just more hunting versatile than its two smaller bored siblings. As Big Game licenses in this State require 40-cal or larger in B/P weaponry to be a participant in such hunts.
    So 45 cal rifles are dandys for both Big & Small game.

The last Cherokee 45 on consignment I seen. Asking price 800.00 and the owner got it without to long a wait. The last Seneca I had in my hands? I actually had color in my hair as I'm now nearing 3/4s of a century in age.~~~~ Without-a-doubt Seneca's are just plain scarce as hens teeth this far North of the Mason-Dixon.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen one less than $600 for a while. I love mine and will probably be buried with it. It has filled my freezer with venison many, many times using PRB.

Boolit Master

Tc 45

If it were here in Michigan , I would buy it at that price.

First muzzle loader I bought in the early 70's and last one I would part with. The .45 makes the Seneca balance and handle better than any Hawken (IMHO).

Boolit Master
    My 36 with a 32 xtra barrel are on my never sell list.
    swamp

Boolit Master
    My 36 with extra 32 barrel is on my never sell list.
    swamp

Boolit Bub
    I had a .32. It was ok, sold it, much rather carry a longrifle.

Is the market strong or at least interest for a T/C Hawken 45 flintlock?
    I found a few years ago I much prefer percussion to flintlock. If not it makes a pretty wall hanger.

Boolit Grand Master

45s are harder to come by since they for the most part, don't make them any more. The market varies allot by the area you are in and around hunting season, there is a bigger demand for them. Around here I rarely see a used ML. Most of the gun shops don't mess with them and the one shop I used to see them at regular, went the way of the black guns because of demand. Even gun shows here have very few and the ones they do have are usually IMO over priced for what they are. They want $200 or more for an old beat up CVA. Other areas people report they are a dime a DZ.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo Safari View Post

Is the market strong or at least interest for a T/C Hawken 45 flintlock ?

IMO, the best way to find out the market for it would be to place it in a guns-only auction.

While the .45 Seneca/Cherokee are lightweight sporting rifles with relatively this (13/16" thick) barrels & downsized stocks & locks, the .45 Hawken is much heavier with it's 15/16" thick barrel & larger/heavier stock & lock - which can translate as a positive to some potential buyers or a negative to other potential buyers.

The .45 Hawken WILL take much stouter loads than the .45 Seneca/Cherokee, which is point in it's favor for those potential buyers who would like a top-powered .45.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I sold my .45 Cherokee about 12 years ago. Wish I kept it and bought a .32 barrel.

I recently saw a superficially nice .32 Cherokee but the price was around $800 iirc. I remember it was too rich for me. Not sure how the chamber and bore was as I didn’t look inside.