Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1950's Mattel Toy gun commercials

Boolit Master

1950's Mattel Toy gun commercials

From "back in the day" for some folks to remember...

Times have changed a lot, haven't they?

And I don't think necessarily for the better, either... Lot of folks today would have conniption fits if these were still sold to youngsters, I'd bet.

Back then it was just fine. And not a lot of complaints about them & ones like them.

You can imagine, or even know, what might happen in certain areas "now", were kids to have & play with these toys?

Yup... Times have sure changed...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I've got one of those in the first clip!

Boolit Master

I had the "Detective Special" back in the early 1960's. It was a revolver with 2" barrel, Shoulder holster, Detectives badge, and an arrangement where the "38" brass cases took both a cap and a grey plastic "Boolit" in each brass casing. The revolver was almost full size if I recall correctly. You could shoot targets off of a saw horse from 10 feet or more away. Great fun for youngsters.

I am sure the "Protect the Chillen" crowd would have apoplexy over those today; besides "You could shoot your eye out".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Neat-o!

Boolit Master

i had a fanner .50

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one but by the time I got one the libs decided that the auto handle was to
    much like a gun of war and I could only semi fire it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    And I don't think necessarily for the better, either... Lot of folks today would have conniption fits if these were still sold to youngsters, I'd bet.

Back then it was just fine. And not a lot of complaints about them & ones like them.

You can imagine, or even know, what might happen in certain areas "now", were kids to have & play with these toys?

Yup... Times have sure changed...
    Nerf guns seem to be pretty big sellers these days and kids actually shoot one another with them.

Boolit Master
    Life was simpler then .if kids had them today on the street there would be an armed responce unit there in a couple of minutes with a helicopter overhead.

Boolit Grand Master

I loved my fanner 50 used it till I got a real gun!

There was another version of the 'fanner' that had the caps inside the case. Nothing was 'shot'.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I had a lever rifle like Chuck Connors in The Rifleman. There was a small "flap" mounted on the lever that would cause the rifle to fire when the lever closed against the receiver. With my constant use of that flap it wore out of regulation quickly. The rifle fired roll caps, no projectile. That one (and a few others) contributed to my loss of hearing real early.

Banned
    I STILL want one of those. LoL. Never had a good cap gun as a kid. However I did get a BB gun when I was 4 years old. I remember having to put the stock on the floor and hold it next to my foot to cock it. (Daisy)

We had rubber band guns. Had to make them for yourself. If you shot them at close range you could get a good reaction out of your buddy.
    Then we got Red Ryders...then came the BB gun wars! Life was so simple back then!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

In Remembrance
    Built some rbberband guns myself, actually got to be a pretty good wing shot with them (dragonflies)

rubber band gun wars only. And when they got taken away, the old finger & thumb worked fine. You could upsize to the innertube band rifles too, clothspin trigger.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I had them all. Fired caps, darts, and plastic bombs. Went to a BB gun, and here I am now. I still remember the day I found out I was left eye dominate.

Boolit Master
    Cousin had a shootin' shell lever rifle got in big trouble for shooting out the ornaments on the Christmas tree. Had that Tommy gun but finding perforated caps in my neck of the woods was near impossible. Big thing was the Rifleman's Winchester,Josh Randall's Marie's leg and Wyatt Farm's Buntline Special when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I had the "Detective Special" back in the early 1960's. It was a revolver with 2" barrel, Shoulder holster, Detectives badge, and an arrangement where the "38" brass cases took both a cap and a grey plastic "Boolit" in each brass casing. The revolver was almost full size if I recall correctly. You could shoot targets off of a saw horse from 10 feet or more away. Great fun for youngsters.

I am sure the "Protect the Chillen" crowd would have apoplexy over those today; besides "You could shoot your eye out".
    I had one of these also. Long time ago, but do remember having fun with. Remember always having to go buy new plastic bullets for it, lost them constantly.

This was a nice birthday present back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhZsauluXM

Also I had the Outdraw the Outlaw to practice with my Fanner.

Attachment 212795
    Last edited by Powder Burn; 01-26-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master
    My brother and I each had a Fanner 50 and a Tommy Gun as did many of the neighborhood boys. if I remember correctly, caps were 5 cents for a 5 roll box.
    Maineboy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast