Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 ACP Black Powder revolver

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    Thank you Ofitg, I'll put this one on my book as well! It is amazing, if you stop for a second and think about it, the amount of knowledge you guys have to offer!
    That sounds correct. I use the Accurate 45-240H1 bullet in both the .455 Webley and the .45 Auto Rim and using a 10" drop tube and compression die I was able to get 20 grains in the Auto Rim case with the Accurate bullet, which has much less seating depth than your Lee, OAL 1.30" for about the same velocity.

Attachment 212890
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I use 2F in my 1911 gold cup with a cast 200 gr RN. or a 185 gr Keith SWC. It functions good with no feeding problems and shoots well.

Boolit Mold
    Got the bullets today, but I won't be in town to try them out this week. It'll be next week and than I'll post the result.

Boolit Master
    I’m loading Schofield right now using 452374 and could try some Goex FFFg this weekend if anybody is interested.

Boolit Mold
    Well guys, sorry for the long delay, work kept me out of town and away from my hobby. I was able to make some rounds to test, unfortunately was unable to get to a chronograph to check velocity! My loads were American Pioneer Powder (that is what I have at the moment) and 3FG Goex Black Powder, 200 gr RNFP and SWC cast bullets from Missouri Bullet with the blue lube and I know this is NOT a good lube for BP. The RNFP were loaded with 20.7 gr by volume (and if you're into it, 14 gr by weight of APP and 19 gr of BP, using the 1.3 cc deeper by Lee, I'm also aware of the "by volume" loads with BP and substitutes) and the SWC with 15.9 gr by volume (11 gr by weight of APP and 14 gr of BP, using the 1.0 cc deeper by Lee). The different loads was to allow a 1/16 compression. Nice rounds, very mild recoil very accurate at 10 and 15 yards. Talking about been able to see the bullet, my buddy and I were able to shoot, run to the target and move it to were the bullet was flying to so we averaged 3 inch, six round groups, 24 round per type of bullet! Verdict...those bullets will kill...!!

Boolit Master
    Thank you Ofitg, I'll put this one on my book as well! It is amazing, if you stop for a second and think about it, the amount of knowledge you guys have to offer!
    Lucio - I dont know at all but I imagine you might get 18 or 20 grains of Swiss (it has more power per grain the experts say) - in that case - thats gonna make a large hole in any critter dumb enough to stand up and say shoot me. I bet there is a lot of weaker loads than this around the cowboy shoots.

Well guys, sorry for the long delay, work kept me out of town and away from my hobby. I was able to make some rounds to test, unfortunately was unable to get to a chronograph to check velocity! My loads were American Pioneer Powder (that is what I have at the moment) and 3FG Goex Black Powder, 200 gr RNFP and SWC cast bullets from Missouri Bullet with the blue lube and I know this is NOT a good lube for BP. The RNFP were loaded with 20.7 gr by volume (and if you're into it, 14 gr by weight of APP and 19 gr of BP, using the 1.3 cc deeper by Lee, I'm also aware of the "by volume" loads with BP and substitutes) and the SWC with 15.9 gr by volume (11 gr by weight of APP and 14 gr of BP, using the 1.0 cc deeper by Lee). The different loads was to allow a 1/16 compression. Nice rounds, very mild recoil very accurate at 10 and 15 yards. Talking about been able to see the bullet, my buddy and I were able to shoot, run to the target and move it to were the bullet was flying to so we averaged 3 inch, six round groups, 24 round per type of bullet! Verdict...those bullets will kill...!!
    Something discussed in a separate thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Eynsford-users - was the fact that the Goex I used years ago (manufactured at the old plant in Moosic PA) was more energetic than the "standard" Goex BP which is currently manufactured.

I imagine this explains the differences between G-O data published in Lyman's 1975 BP Handbook, and Goex data published in Lyman's 2001 BP Handbook & Loading Manual.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Something discussed in a separate thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Eynsford-users - was the fact that the Goex I used years ago (manufactured at the old plant in Moosic PA) was more energetic than the "standard" Goex BP which is currently manufactured.

I imagine this explains the differences between G-O data published in Lyman's 1975 BP Handbook, and Goex data published in Lyman's 2001 BP Handbook & Loading Manual.
    Yeah that was me I think - still have almost ten pounds of that old Goex saved for special occasions -- hmm -- it was (is) ungraphited bulk 5FA too which was always a bit better (5 to 10%) than FFFg rifle powder. ----- about the same time we bought 4FA chinese powder from a fireworks guy for use in our bigger stuff (58's and shotgun) paid $15 per kilo for that stuff - wish I had got a ton of it - it was a slow powder (about like the old Curtiss and Harveys) but the cleanest burn!! -- later we got chinese again and it was DIRTY - foul out quick with that stuff - clean burn (or not) dont matter to the pyro guys.

Boolit Grand Master

In the .45ACP cylinder of my Ruger Convertible, the .45 Cowboy Special Brass headspaces perfectly. If you want to use a bullet which needs a roll crimp, you can do so with the .45 CS. .45 CS Brass is available direct from Starline.

FWIW
    Dale.53

I compress the black powder 1/16 th inch when seating the bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Lucio - I dont know at all but I imagine you might get 18 or 20 grains of Swiss (it has more power per grain the experts say) - in that case - thats gonna make a large hole in any critter dumb enough to stand up and say shoot me. I bet there is a lot of weaker loads than this around the cowboy shoots.
    I am going to get my hands on some Swiss tomorrow and try it! Thank you

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    In the .45ACP cylinder of my Ruger Convertible, the .45 Cowboy Special Brass headspaces perfectly. If you want to use a bullet which needs a roll crimp, you can do so with the .45 CS. .45 CS Brass is available direct from Starline.

FWIW
    Dale.53

I compress the black powder 1/16 th inch when seating the bullet.
    Thanks Dale.53, I've noticed that the 45ACP rim is thinner that the 45COLT, the headspace measures good, so, from the rim to the breachface, I am still within tollerance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12