MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Number 1 Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    What killed the Lyman 45-70s is that they could not be used in BPCR matches (no hammer).

The scope was also junk.
    I never handled a Lyman #1, was the scope actually made by Lyman or farmed out? The only
    practical way to put a reciever sight on #1 is to have reciever D/T and have a extension arm to
    the rear to mount sight. This may satisfy target shooters but I want to hunt mine and don't want
    such a contraption on mine. Even some of the obsolete sights that were made to mount on top
    of recievers are strickly for range use.

The .45-70 can be loaded to about 200 fps. of a .458 Win. in the Ruger No. 1. I had one that accounted for a number of Bucks & some really big wild hogs at ranges of up to & a little over 100 yds. Recoil got a bit much for me when velocity of a 400+ grain cast bullet got to 1800 fps. with a rifle that light. My former gunsmith liked to shoot in BP matches with his .458 Ruger No. 1. I don't know what kind of matches they were as I never went to one with him but I have to believe it was not formal competition.

Have one in 45/70, 257Rob, and just had one rebored by JES to 35 whelen.
    Had one in 220 Swift that wouldn't hit a 5 gal bucket at 100yrds, had another in 7X57 that I sold like a fool. That one would hit clay pigeons on the 200yrd backstop every time I shot it.
    Have had another half dozen or so that I owned and let get away. Live and learn....

Boolit Master
    I don't think a Ruger #1 is ever going to win a bench rest match but that isn't the point either. They are what they are. I consider mine to be more of a work of art than a target rifle. My 50's era Remington 722 will shoot way smaller groups for a fraction of the cost. Lets see, about $1600 for the Ruger/Unertl combo and about $300 for the Remington/Tasco combo and the Remington combo is WAY more accurate but the Ruger is WAY more fun to shoot (and fondle). Even though it isn't a target rifle, it's just hard for me to hate on the Ruger. You have to have one for awhile to appreciate them. If sub MOA is your goal, you're better off saving your money I think.

Mine was a hunting rifle that never fired a factory round or anything but a self cast lead bullet. I never tried to shoot sub MOA groups but also never found it lacking in the accuracy department. It was more accurate than it's replacement, a Pedersoli SXS Kodiak in .45-70 but that too is a hunting rifle & has more than sufficient accuracy to do it's job. I might add, that is out of the box without any significant load development. It is regulated much better than I expected.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a No. 1V that started life as a .22-250. I sent it to JES and had it re-bored to .338-06. I now have a heavy barreled 24 inch hunting rifle. It is accurate enough for elk and bear so far and has plenty of power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0142.jpg   Elk 2016005.jpg  
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Master
    No 1 7.62x39mm at my LGS............. $975......Lipseys

“The only practical way to put a reciever sight on #1 is to have reciever D/T and have a extension arm to the rear to mount sight. “

New England Firearms sells a receiver sight that clamps onto the scope mount on the receiver. It’s sturdy and unobtrusive, and would work well for hunting.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

They are allowed in Canada in the BP matches. a bridge type mount is made for the tang mounted sights and a extension on the safety knob.
    I have 2 number 1s a 1v in 220 swift and a 1b in 300 win mag currently, Had one a 1v in 223 for awhile I wish I had kept. Great looking rifles usually with nice wood on them. Ruger built it for the classic lines of the older single shot hunting rifles.

Boolit Buddy

I don't have a #1 but I do have a #3 in 45-70 that I got for a smokin' deal. May not be quite as pretty as the #1 but I love it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    No 1 7.62x39mm at my LGS............. $975......Lipseys
    I've got one, didn't give that for it but wont sell it for that either ! If you like the round and NO 1s then it should be allow to follow you home. Mine shoots wolf to the sights as delivered (at 50 yards). I am too busy to get anything cast up to play with but its .311in the groves and .313 ball seat , I think it will shoot 31141 but mine casts small. Really neat rifles, I'm down to 2 , the 7.62x39 and 45-70, there's diversity for you
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I currently have a #3 that is sitting at a local smiths shop awaiting its turn for a custom barrel. (50-70 govt) octagon Also currently in high level negotiations for a #1 stock set. When she is all finished what will I have? A one of a kind #4? Since I live on the west coast it will be my Bigfoot thumper and anything else that gets in its way. Will post pictures when done.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a #3 in 45-70 once. I had to wear a football mouthpiece to keep from chipping my teeth.

I had a #1Standard 26" 22-250. It was too pretty and my 788 22-250 outshot it.I gave $350 for it then traded it for a Guild Danzig 8mm sporter with dst andGerard scope/claw mount and two leaf rear sight.... That one I really miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

If you are athletic, the No. 1 in .450/400 shoots cast very well - BUT it is a heavy sucker.

Boolit Bub

Addicted

I bought my first No.1, a No.1-B in .257 Roberts. I have enjoyed it over the last 25 years so much I bought some more. I now have 17. The smallest caliber I have is 6mm Remington, the largest .458 Win Mag. Also have .450/.400 Nitro Express, .45-70, .416 Rigby, 9.3x74R, 9.3x62, .303 British, .30-40 Krag, .300 Weatherby Mag., .30-06, 7x57, .270, and another .257 Roberts No. 1-A. I am missing a .35 Whelen and will remedy that when I find one with nice wood. I love the way the larger calibers shoot with cast boolits. I also have a No. 3 in .30-40 Krag. I have 2 that have been re-barreled: one is a 6.5x53R Dutch-Romanian Mannlicher, and the other is a 9.5x57 M-S also known as the .375 Rimless Nitro Express. Both were done by Marquart Precision. I can't quite understand why the 6.5 round was chosen. The 6.5x55 Mauser has more powder capacity and is easy to find components. I make brass from .303 British, and the dies were pricey. It has a 27" barrel and shoots great. The case capacity is identical to the 6.5 Creedmoor, which probably wasn't around when this one was re-barreled. The .375 Rimless NE is easy to load for. Cases are made from 8x57 Mauser or available from Quality Cartridge. I like to use 220 gr. .375 Winchester bullets and recoil is not bad at all. I am still developing loads for both of the oddballs but I usually shoot 1 or 2 of them each week.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    I have a No. 1V that started life as a .22-250. I sent it to JES and had it re-bored to .338-06. I now have a heavy barreled 24 inch hunting rifle. It is accurate enough for elk and bear so far and has plenty of power.
    Nice game shots Wayne, where did the hunts take place?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Nice game shots Wayne, where did the hunts take place?
    Elk in Colorado, Bear in Wyoming.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the K1a's in 35 Whelen. My favorite is one of the 357 mags I rechambered to 357 max.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast