Graf & SonsRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De-activating Primers

I too have deprimed live primers without incident. There are a heck of a lot of well-meaning people who have claimed everything from antifreeze, brake fluid, methanol, etc. to chemically render primers inert. I think what happens is a liquid acts as a solvent to start dissolving the primer mixture. Nothing to do with what the actual liquid is. As long as it can act as a solvent. Anyway, I let a friend deprime 4000+ primed 44mag for me. He kept the primers and I was then able to sell the brass through the USPS

Boolit Master

Unlike primers or loaded ammo shipping primed brass thru UPS or FedEx doesn't require hazmat.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...e-law.3812580/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-primed-brass

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    My mother worked for CCI in the Lewiston factory as a test\QC tech back in the 80's. She said a drop of oil and let it sit for a while would kill a primer. It always has for me. FWIW.

You then need to get the oil out of the case or it will affect the next primer. Brake cleaner makes a fast job of that if you want to use it right away.
    I also hear thin oil

I soak old 22's in oil/water mix to incapacitate before disposing of and dispose of them in a plastic peanut or --- Jar still on the solution

Boolit Master

About 10 years ago I was contracted to demill a bunch of 50 cal and under ammo for a museum. While I did not try an ultrasonic with citrus and water nothing I tried was 100% or long term.

Boxer primers can -nearly always- be backed out with a depriming die without drama. If you get a glued-in or heavily crimped one, the worst thing that happens is that it will pop and shoot the primer into the waste bucket a little faster than normal. Perfect use for an old press that drops primers through the ram.

I decided to reclaim components from a few thousand SAMCO "floor sweepings" Brazilian 7X7 that were Berdan primed. None of the usual methods was working because the primers were glued in with the same grey ??? that the bullets were. Since the primers couldn't be set deeper to break the bond, I discovered a use for a ratty old Spanish Civil War wallhanger. It took a while, but the massively out of spec headspace was perfect. The primers were every variation from completely inert to hot enough to make a Federal 215 look weak. Most would poof and the combination of pressure and heat cracked the sealant making them relatively easy to extract with the RCBS tool. Got a few questioning looks from neighbors sitting out on the front porch popping primers but no one got overly excited.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

It might be easy to deactivate a primer when you don't want to - and be assured, it will be on the game shot or match-winning shot of a lifetime that that will show up. But it isn't so easy to depend on its working every time, when you do want to.

Most primer compositions will dissolve in hot water, but there is always the chance that it is partly soluble, partly insoluble, and I don't kno if any will remain ignitable by impact. More importantly, more primers than formerly are now protected with lacquer and/or an aluminium foil disc. Solvents might gain ingress for water, but we all know that if we try to find a solvent for an unknown kind of lacquer in more conventional situations, some will work and some won't.

Using two methods, like oil and water, isn't necessarily twice as sure as one. Wear belt and suspenders and they have to support your trousers equally, or they will go pop one at a time, just as if you used only one. Oil will keep water out, or water will keep oil out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12