Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Scope suggestions

Boolit Grand Master

Scope suggestions

Looking to add a FFP scope to my AR pattern rifle. It is a POF 415 that has shown promise in accuracy and am looking to upgrade glass. Needs to be FFP and mil mil. Usage will be fun gun, range, steel out to 600.

Looking at:

NF SHV 4-14

Burris XTR ii 3-15

Eotech Vudu 3.5-18

Which others should I be looking at.

Boolit Master

the NF SHV is an excellent scope, its like an NXS minus some of the features most people dont really care about. have one and happy with it.

Boolit Master
    You may want to check out SWFA...they are built like tanks and at a good price mark and good reviews... check out their website and youtube
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

I purchased the SHV from NF last month to put on a 6.5CM build I was completing. I looked at several different optics and settle on the SHV based on reticle and glass clarity. I must admit that I’ve never spent more for optics than the rifle it was mounted on, but now that it’s done, I couldn’t be happier. For what it is worth, the Burris XTR ii came in a very close second.

Boolit Master
    I have a SWFA 10x mil/mil and have been extremely pleased with it for a budget optic and have taken it well passed 1000 yards with a 308. It has tracked well and returned to zero quiet well.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    The SWFA fixed 10x is one of the best bargains out there if money is a consideration.

The higher end Vortex scopes are worth looking at. I am considering a variable power one for my hunting .308 as ranges where I hunt vary from 40-300 yards.

I have a 5-20 Vortex Razor HD on my long range SHTF gun and it is the best scope I have ever owned. Very clear and it has accurate and repeatable turret settings. It is heavy but it is the price paid for a robust unit that can take abuse.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I agree with all of the above and would add Sightron to the list of quality, affordable scopes.......with the exception of spring powered airgun scopes or scopes that need parallax to 10 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Sightron SII Big Sky series are very popular with the rifle competitors around here . They've been discontinued but can be found in good shape for about same price as the SWFA scopes . MOF there's 2 on Fleabay both 6 - 24 X 50 with side focus & mil - dot recticles . Sightron lenses are made @ same Japanese plant that makes them for Nightforce BTW .

Boolit Master
    Find a new old stock Steiner military 4-16. You’ll be quite pleased.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I have a SWFA 10x mil/mil and have been extremely pleased with it for a budget optic and have taken it well passed 1000 yards with a 308. It has tracked well and returned to zero quiet well.
    I have been investigating the SWFA SS 10x and have friends with them. This was a scope Tasco developed for a military SF bunch. Eventually SWFA bought the rights to sell it.

Bulletproof and simple.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I have been investigating the SWFA SS 10x and have friends with them. This was a scope Tasco developed for a military SF bunch. Eventually SWFA bought the rights to sell it.

Bulletproof and simple.
    My SWFA 10x will be here on the 20th
    Bought a Savage 12FV on a Black Friday sale at cabelas for $219
    26" heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I’ve got a FFP Vortex on an AR. It’s been good so far.

I'm a Nightforce fan an my opinion is probably my love of Nightforce. They can take a beating. Glass is great. Best track able turrets of all my optics. I have a 4-14x56 on a milspec 308 and it was my first scope to get me out to 1000 yards with these older eyes. I now have a 5.5-20 x56 SHV on my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. I haven't had a long enough range yet but 1400 yards no issues. I've got Nightforce, Leupold and several Vortex scopes. Warranty on Vortex is best I know. Send today back in a week usually with a new one. I use the 1-6 Strikeagle on my AR. I don't have any issues banging big steel plates at longer ranges with it but 200 is all I've ever tried precision on paper with. Either scope you mentioned will get you where you want but I would go Nightforce. The SHV line has as good glass as the Atrac. Burris has great scopes. My trusty 7 mag has had one on it for years. Never failed. Good luck with whatever choice you go with.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My 14.5” POF p415 shoots clover leaves using 60gr vmax and 25gr of benchmark. My avatar is a 100 yard group I shot with it. It will shoot dime size groups at 200 yards with the same load. It’s my Arizona predator rig. Coyotes don’t even flinch and slam to the ground with this load. It will put anywhere from a bullet sized hole in and out of a yote to a fifty cent piece sized hole. I had on a leupold 4.5x14 50mm target optic and took it off and have a a cheap Nikon prostaff 5 3.5x14 40mm bdc optic on it now with a larue quick detach mount. The mount is as much as the optic. I also have a photon 4.6 day night vision with a quick detach for it. That cheap Nikon I paid around $240 is clearer than my leupold mark 4’s. I had a hard time spending so little on an optic for a $2500 rifle and I’m glad I did...it’s better quality than most optics three to four times the price. I have three friends who all have POFs that wear a 3x9 trijicon on them. I had a trijicon 3x9 mildot on mine for a while. Nice optic but I’ll take the 14x for long shots. Forgot I have a leupold delta point size mounted on it as well.

Here’s a link where I posted it...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...96#post4059296
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-28-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I actually ended up with a Bushnell DMR2i and am quite pleased with it. Yes it’s big. Yes it’s heavy. I have plenty of iron sighted light weight ARs if need be. This is just a range toy and does well.

Banned

night force all the way if you can afford it. Me? Not so much.