RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Outers foul out

Boolit Master

Outers foul out

Does anybody use Outers Foul out system?
    I have used it for years till my chemicals wore out. So I bought some chemicals to mix my own solution. Hadn't tried it yet and was wondering if anybody else has went this route?

Boolit Master

Mine quit working and I tried to get it fixed at Outers and was told that they no longer sell it or have parts for it. No explanation as to why they quit manufacture. james

Boolit Master
    They were really too expensive for the average bear and possibly too technical as well. The original one which came out in the 80’s was above or right at $100. I love it since I only shoot cast boolits and some guns like some of my Rugers have throats that are to big. I used it so much that I sprung for the expensive quart sized refills of chemicals. I would/will brag about it how great it is to anyone that asks.

I also think the masses are uneducated about fouling and cleaning as well. I talked a doctor friend into buying one and he claimed that it did not work. He only shot one auto pistol and with j words.
    I explained that he must be cleaning his gun properly and doesn’t need to use Foul Out or as often. Actually, I think he was using the lead chemicals rather than the copper.
    He commenced to bad mouthing the product and telling everyone that I cost him $100 for snake oil.

Then in the late 80’s -early 90’s they came out with the Foul Out 2 which was more compact and less money. I bought one for not only as a back up, but I was a traveling salesman and always took guns on the road with me to clean (no, I did not use the hotel towels ), so the compactness was great! The rods are multi-piece rather than the long one piece rods.

Then a few years later (early century) I even bought the Foul Out 3 as a backup since I lost number one in a move. I don’t recall what was different about the #3, I left it the package and ended up giving it to my brother years later.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-23-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Content and sp
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

My Foul out was the first one and I used it successfully for several years. Worked great until about 2015 or so and just quit. Clean the powder residue out and hook the unit up and it would immediately show as being cleaned. Put copper remover on a patch and push it down the bore and it would come out showing copper. Something in the electronic unit evidently just gave up. I'll have to say that I got my money out of it as I used it for years when I was competing with everything that went bang. Just wish I could get another one. james

Boolit Master
    TNS, I sent you a PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    TNS
    I had that problem to of putting the thing on and it showing clean. I found 2 problems. The first was the chemical was wore out and second the red wire wasn't adequately grounded to the rifle. Also I only had that problem on the copper fouling system.
    I still see the units every now and then on Gunbroker.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Years ago someone on line posted a how-to for making one and the chemicals for cleaning copper at least . I'm sure the plans are still there I just don't remember where .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Fr. Frog's page is still up: http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Haven't tried the Foul Out recipes, but it's all a good read anywho.

Boolit Master

I suspect they discontinued it because the solution uses lead acetate. It is a sweet tasting poison and can be absorbed through the skin. The lawyers probably concluded the profit wasn't worth the potential lawsuits if kids or dumb adults poisoned themselves.

I have a foul out II or III don't remember which, use it a couple of times a year. Without doubt the best system to remove lead or copper fouling. I don't have much solution left and will be trying a homemade solution some time this year.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

Paul, let us know how you homemade solution works and if it works, the formula. bayjoe, Thanks for the suggestion of Gunbroker. Its another option. james

Boolit Master
    Ok Here is the web site where I got the recipe
    www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
    I have mixed the lead foul out for 8 oz. and used it on my pistols and it works just like the store bought chemical.
    Shined my barrels up bright and shiney and only took about an hour to hour and a half

Boolit Master

I suspect Idz is correct about the poison aspect. Also, Lead in liquid form is a real disposal issue.

I have one, the second Gen, I only used it for copper, where it did a great job. Old military guns like Mausers often took multiple 2 hour runs, with cleaning out powder fouling in between, basically, removing layers.

Years ago I stopped using it so much, mainly because the surplus market has dried up. The other reason is that a well-seasoned bore does not have to be perfectly clean at all times to work well.

For my current guns I only use it occasionally. It's sort of a "reset button". For a finely accurate rifle, expect to throw the first shot or two after deplating.

One more thing. Years back, a major gun publication noted they ran one overnight, I quickly pointed out to them that they weren't following the instructions and may have etched the bore. They cheerfully ignored my email and did it again.

A second "one more thing". If you use a thicker stainless steel rod, you can use less fluid, and get shorter runs until the fluid is exhausted. That way you can dump depleted fluid after each run. Otherwise, you end up with: new, partly depleted, and dispose containers.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

I built one with a flashlight some wire and clips. It works well as I recall, haven't used it in years. Built it to clean out an old '98, it did a great job on it. I used home made chemicals for it.