RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger P95

Ruger P95

I have one on layaway. I've owned and loved a P97 for years and I expect great things.
    Please share your likes/dislikes and possible loads in the 9mm using the Lee 105 swc.
    Thomas

Boolit Mold
    My son has one that he purchased on his 21st birthday 8 years ago. He has had some New Hampshire winter feeding issues with light loads that work fine in the summertime. He uses Tite Group, sometimes cast, sometimes the J word. I have a P85, they use the same mags. Rugers. You cant break them and you can't wear them out.

Banned

I have 4 P89 DCs and one P 90
    Love the P series guns
    Never shot the 105 grain
    I tend to go heavy/subsonic

Moderator Emeritus

I've had a couple P89s
    and I have a New 9e
    I've never tried the 105gr, but all these rugers like the Lee TC 120, LEE RF 125gr, and the Ranch Dog TL RF 135gr. I also have the NOE 128gr SWC specifically for a fussy browning Hi Power, The NOE also works well in the Rugers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Seating with the Lee 105 can be crucial. I find that sized .358 and seated with just a bit of front band showing (like a 200 grn, swc in .45 acp) works well in most 9's/ Many 9's have short to no throat so do a plunk test using the barrel as a gauge. Doug Guy does 9mm throating that is poetry in steel and well worth the cost in a 9 that is going to be seeing a lot of cast. 4.0 of red dot functions most 9's. Power pistol usually gives pretty good accuracy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Thanks all keep it coming. My P 97 .45 loves the 200 swc and yes oal is crucial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Bought one in 2002 or so. It is the blued DC model. The only issue that I had was due to poor maintenance. Carbon built up around the extractor to the point it wouldn't feed another round. Those were the good days and the 100 round count WWB was $9.99. I still have it, but it only makes it out of the safe a couple times a year now though. New replacement parts are hard to come by now as it seems that support for the P series is almost non existent. I did luck up a few years ago and scored a new set of recoil springs (it has two) from Ruger. If you do ebay there is a lot of used parts listed for sale. Most seem like part form a stripped gun and sold off as parts kits.
    The Lee 105 feed fine through mine, but it was just a try and see experiment so no notes.
    It was actually the first gun that I reloaded for. I had the Lee whack a mole setup with Hornady 147 XTPs and SR4756 powder. I can attest that the gun is strong and will handle almost anything. I had no clue about what I was doing and didn't understand about pressure in firearms. You know if x amount of powder is good, then a little more is better. After all the instructions said that everything is included, so no need for a powder scale. Just eyeball a little more powder in the scoop and everything is good to go. Luckily I had a slower burning powder and a strong gun so I still have all of my fingers, and a functioning gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Excellent guns, I had one for awhile and never had any problems with it. I remember they were quite popular back in the day with coppers who had to buy their own guns. Unfortunately, P guns are always one small broken/missing part away from being a paperweight, something to think about if you plan to shoot it alot. I decided I would be better off with a gun I can just buy parts for and so sold it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

had a p89 years ago. It was a good gun but as pretty as a 2x4. It ran well but it didn't like the 105 lee.

Boolit Master
    My P95 eats anything I feed it, but it doesn't like light loads. I tried to load up some reduced 115 FMJ's for my daughter and it had a time ejecting the empty cases. Kicked it up a tenth and a half and good to go. Great gun.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a P95DA . I don't think there was anything fussy or critical at all about that thing infact I was probably nthe least picky pistol I ever had . A 358-125 RNFP sized 358 in Winchester brass and 4.0 Unique was a win .
    I also on a binge fed it some Lyman nose out 148 WC . After the 3rd mag and a 4" hole at 50 yd about 4" below POH I figured it wasn't going to get any better . The 125s would throw one sometimes maybe 1 or 2 in a mag but I always felt like 4" at 50 at POH was good enough for a bedroom gun .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

The one I'm getting is a stainless(I'd rather have blue) decocker model with a Clinton Ten magazine. I'll be getting a 15shot mag or two for spares. Maybe Tru Glo sights......

The blue finish on these pistols will rust if you look at it sideways, mine certainly would.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I actually like when the blued ones turn plum. I'm weird that way I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Still have a P89 that I bought when I turned 21. When ammo was cheap I put in excess of 5k rounds of cheap 9mm through it. Built like a tank and as big as one too. Sights on it are a bit small by today's standards. It's a soft shooting pistol and I still have it. Very enjoyable. You'll love your P series.

I've had a P95 DC for many years. It has always fired when I wanted it to, never when I didn't. I would warn against cheap after market magazines, they seem to want to jam up (probably the amount of time I've left them loaded, not a problem, yet, with the Ruger 10 rounders). They're big and clunky, but they work. I took mine on family trips for years, never worried that it wouldn't work. I second osteodoc08, they are soft shooting. Enjoy it.
    Sully

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I actually like when the blued ones turn plum. I'm weird that way I guess.
    I like the plum too, however at some point Ruger changed from bluing to a cheap oxide finish on the P95. It had a habit of developing pits and rust.

I love good surprises. I thought the only mag it had was the Clinton ten rounder but lo & behold the plastic factory case contained a 15 rounder and the loading tool!

When I got it home I found the words "Smith&Wesson" on the 15 round mag...... I called the LGS laughing and he promised a Ruger mag next time I'm there.
    I wouldn't mind a 17 rd MecGar!