Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: restaurants and gravy

Boolit Buddy

SWMBO made Biscuits & Chorizo Gravy for dinner last night, using Fresh Ground Pork Chorizo from the meat counter of a local Mom & Pop market. It was awesome served with Scrambled Fresh Chicken & Duck Eggs.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    You'all are right !! You only live once so I had biscuits and gravy for supper with pecan pie for dessert. Wife even made up a batch of deer jerky. So life doesn't get better than that

Boolit Master
    See, hadn't killed you yet!

Boolit Grand Master

Of the local fast food establishments, Hardies has the best biscuits although they definitely ain't fast. Their gravy is at least passable too.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    The Stonewall Jackson restaurant in Summersville, WV used to make the very best biscuits & gravy I've ever had. I don't know if it's still there, but I used to go there on my day off just for the B&G after a weeks worth of cold rainy days on the Gauley in the fall. I could tell if they hadn't sold enough sausage that morning because the gravy would have more of a bacon flavor. Umm, Umm, good.
    These days I'm trying to be a little more health conscious, so I tend toward scrapple for breakfast that I make myself. Real red eye gravy is made from the hot grease taken off the grill, mixed with a little flour and water. salt and pepper comes along from the grill. A "real" biscuits & gravy" place will have a pot on the far right corner of the grill where the grill cook adds the grease, flour and water as needed to keep it going. Bacon has way too much fat to make gravy with 100% bacon grease, pork sausage is just right. But, if you're the grill guy and you get that order, you'd be pretty tempted to make it work, even if no one had ordered sausage for awhile. Don't even ask me how I know this

Boolit Master

A few years ago in Southern Tennessee they had sausage gravy at a hotel breakfast bar it tastes bad i only ate a small amount tossed the rest and got something else to eat by 5 pm i was feeling real bad was better next morning the day after my vision doubled , (lasted 10 days) after all the tests and doctors the most likely thing was there was botulism in the gravy ?
    My wife still says don't you dare if i even look at sausage gravy at a breakfast bar!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Your not likely to get botulism from gravy. That's Dr talk for, "I don't know what the devil happened, so I'll tell you this BS"! Clostridium botulinum grows in low salt alkali environs anaerobically, think canned green beans etc. Eat your gravy in peace!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Your not likely to get botulism from gravy. That's Dr talk for, "I don't know what the devil happened, so I'll tell you this BS"! Clostridium botulinum grows in low salt alkali environs anaerobically, think canned green beans etc. Eat your gravy in peace!
    It was indeed canned gravy , what do they say once bit twice shy bad part was being out of state at the time.
    Last edited by firefly1957; 02-05-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I taught me step daughter how to make sausage gravy when she was young because she loved it so much. Same for homemade pie crust. She has become a master at both, much to her new husband's delight!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Niemerg's restaurant in Effingham Illinois off of I 57. The Sunday breakfast buffet is a thing to behold and the sausage gravy and biscuits are all home made. When you have spent from before daylight in a tree stand and have ice on your north side it can restore life to the extremities. Also unlimited bacon and western scrambled eggs on the buffet.
    Another vote for Niemerg's in Effingham.... I have never ate breakfast there but the evening salad bar is one of the best... If the breakfast bar is 1/2 as good as the evening bar......Wow!

Boolit Master

Box gravy is a mortal SIN. That stuff makes me sick. Actually sick.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    I looked for some results and found one gravy (canned) Castleberry’s Sausage Gravy, 10-ounce can (UPC 3030005130) that was infected the can they used there was large not 15 oz. this is from this article do date but in Georgia i ate the stuff in southern Tennessee near the Georgia state line here is the article : https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...call-widened#1
    Botulism grows in a oxygen free atmosphere it is not really low salt however small amounts of sodium Nitrate are used in processed food to stop botulism from forming.
    https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...call-widened#1
    It is quite possible it formed right where it was in the crock pot like i said it tasted bad i only swallowed a very small amount.
    Nothing showed for that area in a recent search it was several years ago that it happened.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a whole generation that has never tasted anything that didn't come frozen or in a can. Pity the next.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

I cook 99.9% of my meals from scratch. If it comes from my freezer I grew it or in the case of meat a local farmer grew it. I do like a tuna sandwich now and then, and Campbell's tomato soup. Not only cheaper but far healthier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123