Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: restaurants and gravy

Boolit Buddy

restaurants and gravy

I was reading the thread about sausage gravy and was think about all the local restaurants chains gravy is not good. Seems like all the restaurants have gone to something that was once powdered. When I travel I find the same, and I am sucker for mom and pop restaurant but good gravy not so hot. I was wondering why the restaurants do not make good home made gravy any more.

It's the bottom line, it takes time to make and is hard to store and reheat..Just think, most meals served by the chain Olive garden are frozen dinners..Makes ya think twice about dining out.

In Remembrance
    I was at coldfoot a couple of years ago and ordered biscuits and gravy. The waitress came back and told me they were out of gravy. I said make some, how is it possible to run out f gravy, it turns out they have canned gravy, whoudathunkit.

Boolit Master
    I have given up on finding good gravy. Just not worth the let down.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    If you find a place that makes it right, treasure it. Patronize it and treat them well.

In Remembrance
    What gripes me, is anymore you had better specify cream gravy when you order a chicken fried steak. It has just come about in the last few years that they sometimes put brown gravy on them. When I order I have always ordered gravy on my fries too, at least twice in Montana I have gotten gravy on the fries and NONE on the chicken fry??? I have even specified cream gravy and gotten it on the chicken fry and brown gravy on the fries, what kind of thinking is that. I have also gotten chicken gravy and quite a few times sausage gravy on them.

I prefer brown gravy on most things but as most have said, if you don't make it yourself, it ain't worth eating. Anytime we have a family gathering that calls for gravy, the come get me to make it. Turkey and dressing with a good brown gravy is mighty fine.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I am fortunate because we have a local Mom & Pop diner in the middle of town 1/2 block from the courthouse that is like a 1950s time capsule and they serve home style food and don't use canned gravy...

Attachment 212438Attachment 212439

And as far as chains go, our local Waffle House isn't bad either.

Attachment 212441
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    If you are ever in downtown Dover, New Hampshire, walk into Harvey's and order the sausage biscuits and gravy. You won't regret it. It's like stepping back into Mom's kitchen. I always figured good gravy was a midwest or southern thing. I don't know how they do it so well.

In Remembrance
    Turkey is suppose to have brown or giblet gravey, roast beef, hamburger steak, etc is brown, it just ain't right to put brown gravy on a chicken fry. lol

Niemerg's restaurant in Effingham Illinois off of I 57. The Sunday breakfast buffet is a thing to behold and the sausage gravy and biscuits are all home made. When you have spent from before daylight in a tree stand and have ice on your north side it can restore life to the extremities. Also unlimited bacon and western scrambled eggs on the buffet.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

I hear all you guys. the brown gravy thing drives me bonkers. First time I ordered biscuits n gravy in my buddies town in fla. I got 2 biscuits and sawmill gravy.....0 meat in it. Now, I like sawmill gravy, but paaalease

Boolit Master

Sadly, there are VERY few people around any more that really know how to cook from scratch! Most restaurants, and homes anymore it's open a can, heat it up and call it good.

Boolit Buddy
    Cooked chicken with rice and gravy last night. Not difficult or time consuming.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Banned
    Unfortunately quality went down the crapper. The focus now is on making the most profit have customers stay X number of minutes so the booth can be turned over to new customers. I was actually told that the wife and I had been there too long after being there 10 minutes after the check was put on the table.

Most Gravy now is either canned beef, chicken, or pork or a tried but not proven gravy from a packet like Au Jus gravy. French dips seem to be a unfortunate recipient of very watered down Au Jus Gravy mix or just plain bullion cubes and water.

Most dives don't care anymore. Get you in fast get you out as soon as the bill hits the table. The faster turn around the better. Forget about gravy being hand made for your dish and gravy with real flavor.

Boolit Master
    The Dam Diner in Moss Bluff, Florida great biscuits and gravy. It's at the dam and lock on the Ocklawaha river.

Boolit Buddy
    Always make my own anymore. As for sausage gravy, I like to make it the night before eating, heat it up while the biscuits are baking. Man!! I'm gettin' hungry now!

Moderator Emeritus

mmm, Gravy made from scratch.
    Bump's Restaurant is a Local place with great homestyle food.

click on video to start
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I made my version of SOS Sunday morning. 2 jars of dried beef, whole wheat flour, and half a gal. of milk, over freshly made biscuits. My tongue is still slapping my eyebrows for more.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I've never found really good biscuits n gravy in a restaurant.

One of the reasons I married SWMBO was her cooking. Her sausage gravy is fabulous. I gained 20 pounds in 3 months after marrying her....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast