WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 700 Rebarrel ?'s

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Got a couple E.R. Shaw barrels myself, just giving my opinion on costs as opposed to custom barrels, that’s all! While we talking barrels, don’t forget Shilen. Got a blueprinted Rem. 700 SA benchrest gun with a Shilen barrel. It will shoot. Good luck however you decide to go.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    It's a 1973 vintage & has been shot a bunch . I've always seated bullets out to 3.400 OAL with 150 & 165's as that's where she shoots best . Gun still groups good as ever but barrel is fouling worse & worse . I clean with a regular solvent first & then 5 - 6 passes with Sweets to remove all the copper . As I stated first 15 rounds are as good as its ever shot , but after that it's a shotgun not a rifle . Yes I was speaking about Wilson Arms barrel as Cooper uses them on their high $$$ rifles . Rifle has been scoped for years , I took the factory sights off & put plug screws in their place . If I am able to get a brand new / very lightly used factory takeoff I'd jump on it . Have a local guy who builds all kinds of match / long range rifles & folks bring him brand new 700's still in the box for him to build on , so I'm hoping he can come up a suitable donor be it '06 , 270W or 280 Rem . Plus he's got all the tools , lathe , etc. I believe he do a good job & be cheaper than others . Now if I wanted a 308W , 7mm Mag , 300 Win Mag etc he already has them . Would have to open bolt face or buy a bolt body for the mag calibers that I really have no use for . Added plus is I have another '06 Springfield '03 Sporter with a 4 grove 1942 Rem barrel that's my Cast Bullet gun , so having a 270 or 280 wouldn't hurt my feelings . Also have a 358W built on a Model 70 action with a Douglas # 4 barrel so no need for a 35 Whelen or 338-06 .
    If you are actually getting your barrel copper free with that few patches, you have one of the slickest barrels I have ever heard of. Even my very best match barrels take 10-12 patches of Sweets after a string of 40+ shots. I'm wondering if you are having a bit of copper fouling towards the muzzle that is not being completely removed. I have a 17 REM that exhibits the exact same thing you are describing and it is the fouling in the last 3-4 that inches of the barrel that is the culprit.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Sweets is great on copper but not too much on carbon. Fouling tends to build up in layers. Wipe Out does both. Until you get all the layers you can have issues like you described.

Boolit Buddy
    First I clean with bore solvent to get rid of carbon fouling . Then I have to do 6 to 8 applications of Sweets . I throughly coat bore & let it soak 10 mins . Then patch the Sweets out & follow with bore solvent to kill the Sweets . Have to do this 6 - 8 times . Once copper is removed , 3 wet patches with bore solvent , patch dry & followed by 2 oily patches to coat bore . Next time out run 2 dry patches to remove oil left in bore . So it's taking 2 - 3 hours to clean & decopper existing barrel . Anyway found & bought 2 factory takeoffs from 700 SF riles . Both stainless & 24" . Was able to borescope both & still have reamer marks in the throats so they aint been shot much . One in 270 & other in 30/06 . 2 Sendero takeoffs for $ 130 .