Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Rebarrel ?'s

Boolit Buddy

Remington 700 Rebarrel ?'s

Have a 70's vintage BDL in 30-06 . Throat is getting about worn out & am considering another barrel .
    If I can find a new factory takeoff barrel in 30-06 or any other caliber based on same case will this be better ie feeding problems etc ? I'm also thinking it'd allow me to keep same stock which I'll probably bed with pillars & Devcon . I've been told factory barrels shoot better with forend pressure Other than truing reciever face & lapping bolt lugs / recoil lug is it really necessary to go beyond that for a hunting rifle ? To have an action blueprinted adds considerably to project expense . Maybe I was lucky but in its original form rifle has been very accurate ( 1 MOA or better with select loads ) . I've seen in past threads that most here don't care for takeoffs & reccomend a new barrel . If I go that route best deal best deal I've found is on Wilson ( Cooper rifles ) barrels . This is a hunting rifle & for me costs are a consideration . If money were no object then yes I'd go a different route . Anyway tell me what you think or what you'd do if it was yours .

Boolit Master

wilson makes a very good barrel (before people jump, not the same as wilson combat).

Boolit Grand Master

For a hunting rifle no need to replace until it starts grouping poorly. Unless you have over 4,000 rounds on it or it is shooting poorly I would not worry about it. Even if it's shooting poorly a really good cleaning with copper and carbon removing agent and a abrasive cleaner should help greatly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    wilson makes a very good barrel (before people jump, not the same as wilson combat).
    No first name?
    No web address?
    No email address?

I'll bet if you were to Google Wilson 30,000 would come up and
    you'd spend hours looking for this mysterious Wilson.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    No first name?
    No web address?
    No email address?

Googled Wilson barrels first hit.
    http://wilsonarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For a hunting rifle no need to replace until it starts grouping poorly. Unless you have over 4,000 rounds on it or it is shooting poorly I would not worry about it. Even if it's shooting poorly a really good cleaning with copper and carbon removing agent and a abrasive cleaner should help greatly.
    THIS- and seating the bullets out a bit more and you should be good to go. Try it first because it's free. BTDT......

Boolit Buddy
    Might consider keeping your rifle "as is" and purchasing another Rem. 700 in .30/06. Your present rifle would be a fine "back up rifle", "bad weather rifle", or "loaner rifle". A good cleaning "might" work wonders. Loading the bullet to a longer cartridge overall length (as previously mentioned) might help, a longer, heavier bullet also might help. Just an opinion.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes you can pick up a new take-off like is on your gun for $75 or less. Its having it fitted to the action that gets $$. Plan on $150 or so minimum, unless you get lucky. sometimes a take-off will screw right on and headspace OK, but sights usually won't line up, its the luck of the draw so to speak.
    You could always send it to JES for reboring and turn it into a 338-06 or a 35 whelen if you want. $250 IIRC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    No first name?
    No web address?
    No email address?

not my thread, sorry if you dont know who they are.

Boolit Grand Master

Since your rifle has already "proven" itself to be accurate the blue print job probably isn't necessary. A take of barrel will work nicely but with factory barrels it can be luck of the draw as to its accuracy. I believe Douglas, Shillen, and some others have the same contour to match the one on your Remington, or very close to it. One of these fitted and chambered might be a better option. Depending on how far you want to go, you could have the chamber throat and leade you want this way. Check Brownels they may have some short chambered barrels in the Remington contour also.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a 1973 vintage & has been shot a bunch . I've always seated bullets out to 3.400 OAL with 150 & 165's as that's where she shoots best . Gun still groups good as ever but barrel is fouling worse & worse . I clean with a regular solvent first & then 5 - 6 passes with Sweets to remove all the copper . As I stated first 15 rounds are as good as its ever shot , but after that it's a shotgun not a rifle . Yes I was speaking about Wilson Arms barrel as Cooper uses them on their high $$$ rifles . Rifle has been scoped for years , I took the factory sights off & put plug screws in their place . If I am able to get a brand new / very lightly used factory takeoff I'd jump on it . Have a local guy who builds all kinds of match / long range rifles & folks bring him brand new 700's still in the box for him to build on , so I'm hoping he can come up a suitable donor be it '06 , 270W or 280 Rem . Plus he's got all the tools , lathe , etc. I believe he do a good job & be cheaper than others . Now if I wanted a 308W , 7mm Mag , 300 Win Mag etc he already has them . Would have to open bolt face or buy a bolt body for the mag calibers that I really have no use for . Added plus is I have another '06 Springfield '03 Sporter with a 4 grove 1942 Rem barrel that's my Cast Bullet gun , so having a 270 or 280 wouldn't hurt my feelings . Also have a 358W built on a Model 70 action with a Douglas # 4 barrel so no need for a 35 Whelen or 338-06 .

Boolit Master
    I have a Wilson barrel machined by raggedhole barrels in Nevada, its setup as a Remage and chambered in 25-06 Ackley Improved. It is an absolute hammer, running 100gr Barnes TSX at 3500 fps it has shot several sub 5" groups at 800 yards.

Probably my best cheap barrel.

If your going to rebarrel you might as well use a good barrel blank, if you are going to use a take off you might as well just buy a new rifle because the price will be comparable.

280 Remington is an excellent hunting round if your looking for something different than an 06. I have used a 280 mountain rifle to kill several elk and deer.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    New Rem 700 take off barrels in both .270 and .30-06 are very common and very cheap.
    EDG

Or a take off .243, .260, 7-08, or .308. Throat them out and use that long action. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If a 300 win mag interests you, PM me.
    Bill

For a hunting rifle, go the take-off barrel route. I bought a Win 670 .30-06 (think Win mod 70 ADL) for $150 with a ringed barrel. I bought a Win XTR .270 take-off barrel on gun broker for $40 shipped. My local gunsmith unscrewed the old & screwed on the new for $25. I was lucky & the barrel writing lined up for a good match. I picked a good basic load with H4350 & the first group was 3/4". I was more than pleased!

FWIW YMMV...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    IT&D Custom Guns in Minerva, Ohio sells take off Remington 700 barrels for cheap! Google them,call them up, and they will fix you up! ( and no, I don’t work for them!) bought several barrels from them and am verrryyy satisfied with the products! Example; .308 Win. 700 Sendero barrel unfired,$98 shipped to Louisiana ! Can’t beat it. Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    Wilson is a bulk barrel seller, they don't sell individual barrels. The problem with factory Remington barrels is the chamber, not so much with the rest of the barrel. On some, the chamber isn't any where close to being in line with the bore. Some come out good, as yours did. It's a luck thing. Any of the aftermarket barrels will give hunting performance and better. Aside from the big names, Shaw, A&B make and chamber barrels that will match or beat factory performance.

In Remembrance

A less expensive, yet a good shooting barrel job, is E.R. Shaw for a re-do.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    A less expensive, yet a good shooting barrel job, is E.R. Shaw for a re-do.Robert
    +1 on ER Shaw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast