Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Scot 453...

Boolit Master

Question Scot 453...

At least 15 years ago, a reloading buddy had a dozen canisters of this Scot 453 powder for sale—I purchased 4 of them for $7.00/pound according to a piece of tape I attached to the container and wrote the amount on it…

I never used any of it and had almost completely forgotten about it. But, since I recently started to reload for the 9mm Luger, I know it can be used for that cartridge as well as other pistol cartridges…

I also took a pic of the manual (copyright 1990)—‘bout 50 pages—for the Scot powders, but if you notice, there is no data in the pamphlet/manual for Scot 453. I did get a copy of some data (very limited amount) for it, possibly as an addendum to the manual—can’t remember…

Anyhow, does anyone have the earlier, or maybe later, manuals or access to data for the Scot 453?...

Thanks…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_3423.jpg  

Use the forum search. There are some old threads for Scot 453.

Reloading for Shotgunners has Scot 453 loads. I skimmed through many of the pages, here.

https://books.google.com/books?id=a5...powder&f=false

Boolit Master

I did the search and it appears to be in the HP-38 burn range. I know it's a fast one...

Guess I'll start with HP-38 on the low end and do some chronograph work. Maybe be able to get a better idea...

I have 4 pounds of it and if it will work for a variety of bullet weights in the 9mm Luger, it will keep it simple when reloading that cartridge...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    I thought the Scot 453 was similar to the old Winchester 452AA Ball powder.. before the WST, WSF, WSL line.. the lineup on Winchester at the time was:

231 - Pistol
    452AA - 12 ga target shotshell
    473AA - 12 ga handicap and 20 ga shotshell
    540 - mostly used for high velocity 12 ga and useful for smaller gauges and some handgun loads
    571 - Generally used for magnum 12 loading and smaller gauges
    296 - Magnum handgun and 410 shotshell

I would use 452AA data reduced by 10-15% and work up from there if I had any Scot 453.

Boolit Master

Well, I used HP-38 data and fire a few rounds (9mm Luger) with the 115 HAP bullet from Hornady using 4.2 grains of HP-38, Scot 453, and Titegroup…

The chrony showed 1017 fps from the 453 and 946 fps from the HP-38 and 1004 fps for the TiteGroup…

So, it appears the 4 pounds of Scot 453 I have is a tad faster than HP-38 and pretty close to TiteGroup at least with the 115 grain bullet…

I guess I sort of figured that with the limited data I could find. Might try to work up loads with it using the 124 grain FMJ and the 115 HAP. It’d be nice to use only one powder…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Buddy
    I'm trying to attach some handgun data I received from Scott quite some time ago.
    Scot 453.pdf
    If that doesn't work let me know via PM and I'll send it as an email attachment.
    Last edited by oso; 01-24-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Buddy
    gibrass.com has BR-2 powder for sale. Ad states similar to Scot 453 and Accurate #2. Sounds as if Scot 453 & Accurate #2 may be fairly close together. Just an observation from a non-expert.