MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help dating an H&R Defender 38 revolver please

Boolit Master

need help dating an H&R Defender 38 revolver please

Found this at a local gun show the other day, price was right, included plenty of ammo.

I like break top revolvers, have some enfields and webleys, so I already shoot 38 S&W, so the extra ammo I got was a nice addition.

it is 38 S & w, 5 shot, looks like a 4" bbl.

sn has no letter prefix, and is 100XX

Any ideas?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	212407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	212408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	212409

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a Google search--"H&R date codes". Look closely all over that sweet little roller, and see if you can find that 1- or 2-letter code somewhere stamped upon it. HTH. I would have snagged that revolver in a New York minute--like you, I am already deeply entrenched in 38 S&W arcana and componentry.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Based on the one piece grip I'd guess 1960s. What a cool gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The sn is on the inside grip strap, very legible, just no letter prefix. Made me think, maybee pre 1940. It looks too good to be too much older though. Owner did say he replaced the grips, but ws under the impression they were similar but worn.

Stampings and marks look good, doesn't look like a polished / refinished piece.

I guess my only REAL need for a date would be to 100% verify it wasn't an older black powder frame.. Which it simply looks too good to be that old.

Boolit Master
    Adjustable rear sight, and just the general configuration, 1970's is my guess. And I bet I'm not far off.

Boolit Master

70's is fine with me, wonder why no letter prefixes?

Boolit Master
    I really like the front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I really like the front sight.

screw adjustable at that.

Boolit Master
    Very neat!!

Boolit Master
    I have a 2” model that I got after my Dad died. I have no idea when he bought it. The serial number is 88xx just above the trigger guard.

You are right about not being refined. They sure didn’t believe in rounding off edges. It’s a very solid gun and I’m positive that it is Not a black powder frame. If it is, then this would be the Ruger Redhawk of it's day!

Also, as enemic as the 38 SW cartridge is, I am not worried about the integrity of this revolver at all.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Sounds great, can't wait to get it to the range.

Boolit Master
    I've argued the point with others before, but in my opinion, pressure is pressure. If whatever you feed it doesn't exceed a safe pressure, the gun wont care if its a black powder era gun or not. I have had in the past, and still do have a few BP era revolvers. Mine have gotten appropriate pressure level smokeless loads, and seem none the worse for wear. That said, I'm quite sure yours is not a BP era gun. The throats are likely to be large, and getting a boolit that fits really helps them to shoot better. Have fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    The throats are likely to be large, and getting a boolit that fits really helps them to shoot better. Have fun.
    Roger that. My 4 examples in 38 S&W run .359"--.361"--and 2 with .363" throats.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I looked through the Fjestad Blue Book and found that H&R used the Defender name as early as 1935. They had multiple issues of the Defender series, usually renumbered or renamed with a change of caliber, or barrel length, or cylinder release, or change to a transfer bar ignition, etc. etc. Your firearm most closely matches the description listed as the "Model 925 Defender Second Model Top Break." Production years for this variant were 1964-1972. However, the 4 inch barrel was offered only in 1968-1969. Hope this detail helps with your information search.

Boolit Master
    From reading my books after reading this thread, it looks that it has to be earlier than 1976. That is when they went to letter prefixes on the serial number. Before that there was a one or two letter code for the year stamped somewhere on the gun, but not it was not attached to the serial number. If is is in the 1964-1972 era, that would be a two letter ID.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the help guys. I really have no need for a concrete date, other than to know that it wasn't a Bp frame. It seems clear it is a nitro frame the your help...im going to enjoy shooting this beauty.

I have a few other 38sw's in enfields and webleys.

Thanks agin guys, I greatly appreciate it. After shooting when I go to clean it, I'll lift the cyl out, and look under the grips if the screw cooperates, and yr to find some letters. I'm unfamiliar with H&R's and was unaware there might be letters that weren't right with the SN.

Again, thanks for the help gentlemen. I'll update after shooting, cleaning and searching.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a twin to yours from 1968. A lot of fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Awesome. I've been working doubles all week. Hope to get some time off soon for a range trip.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As neat as these guns are, I wonder why H&R was so married to top breaks and the .38 S&W cartridge? Surely they realized that even before WWII they were on the decline? I always thought one of their solid frame revolvers in .38 Special would have been a good seller.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Let us know how she shoots.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast