RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best barrel length and twist for 35 whelen

Boolit Master
    No worries; that makes sense.

FWIW, for my Ruger 77/44 & its 5/8"x24 threading; the bbl OD at 16.5" was also an insufficient 0.635".

The solution for that situation was to do the bbl threading extra-long at the muzzle; thread on a thread protector all the way down to create a good shoulder (which got faced as well), then turning off the knurling so as to not look /exceedingly/ ugly. Not the most attractive solution by any stretch, but was certainly satisfactory for getting around what would have been a marginal/problematic situation.

Yeah the little sleeve with a shoulder on it works great! I may do that on the 30-06 barrel if I decide to develop a subsonic load for it, but most subsonic ammo I shoot nowadays is 300 blk or 44 special.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

22" barrel with 1-14 twist is what my 350 RM was and it never had a problem with cast and shot jacketed ok. But now it is a 358 Norma and loves 200 gr cast w/gas check at 2100 fps as well as 250 gr Nosler Partitions at 2750(ouch). I never had any leading with this barrel and it is a Douglas. As far as pistol bullets go--it sprays them into 4 " on a good day. Hope you have better luck if you decide to try them.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

So, I have a barrel on the way ( thanks Kmac) and some gauges, and a barrel wrench, so this project is moving forward! Got a 24" 1 in 14" twist barrel, so i'll try some pistol bullets to see, but probably just gonna throw some heavies around. Get to inlet my stock too for the heavier profile barrel, so fun times ahead!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12