Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Fur quality in southern states

Fur quality in southern states

We have the critters, but I am wondering if anybody has a handle on if it is economically feasible to trap in the Southern states. It really dosen't get cold enough here for the fur to get like it does in colder climates. I know places with lots of beaver. I use to feed my coon dogs with money I got from coon hides but then the bottom fell out of the market. I believe one of the biggest companies that deals in trapping supplies is located in Louisiana. They must know something.

Boolit Master

Because of sanctions placed against Russia and a weakening economy in China, two of the biggest buyers out there, there is a greatly reduced number of buyers .
    Fur from the south is not the same as fur produced in the far north but that is not saying it dosn't have value, it does.
    What it amounts to is that it is a buyers market. They will only take what they feel is the best and if you havn't noticed. They are not paying much either.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too. If our government feels they want to put the screws to Russia then this is one of the prices to be paid.
    IMHO
    Facta non verba

Geometric,
    As far as southern fur goes, it has been pretty poor the last fifteen years or so, and probably will be a poor market everywhere for at least another 4-5. Russians consume most of the fur and the Chinese produce it, except for the best of the best, which is consumed in richer markets throughout the world. When a species peaks in the world market the southern fur can ride that wave and supply dictates the overall prices. If a fashion trend, like muskrat lined leather jackets takes off, demand increases and can actually overtake supply. If coat type raccoon are the hot fashion item, southern coon ride that wave, while the larger, fuller, northern coon are used in the trim trade. Fashion trends are as fickle as the women who wear fur!
    The Russian economy is based on oil and you are probably aware what that market is now. The Chinese economy has also slowed, and the fur market took a hit, when import restrictions were put on fur producers. Speculators aren't willing to get in too deep with no known outlet. The US dollar is increasing in value( wild fur auctions trade in us dollars) and the Ruble has taken a big hit.
    I don't know where your from, but many of the southern beaver are of better quality than you might imagine. When beaver were reintroduced to the south, many were transplanted from NY and MI. They have carried on those traits to this day, with many beaver, as far south as KY and NC, still showing heavy coats. The same is true of otter in some of the Midwestern states. You may also look into doing contract beaver work for your state, county, forrestry, watershed district, duck leases, or lakeshore associations. I just sold semi dried castor for $60.00 a lb for #1 and #2's just last week.

Geometric
    Rally is right on for what he wrote.it been like that for some time.That is how the market always been. Nice to see you on here Rally.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Paul,
    Been chasing beaver and making snares. Can't seem to catch up this year. All the sudden everybody wants to snare coyotes and beaver. Just got 87 beaver back from the tannery and sent another 49 plus 4 otter. It cost a lot to trap these days when the tannery gets in the middle!! There was a decent coyote sale up in ND last weekend. A single lot of 94 ND coyotes averaged 105.00. A lot of SD coyotes brought 74.00. Some green brought 54.00. There were 8 buyers in attendance. I heard the lot of 105 came from NW corner of ND, which has a lot of wide pale bellies on their coyotes. Neither fox or coon did very well accept for really dark fox(very few there) and huge coon. Rats around 3.50, which isn't real bad for a Dakota rat. I sold a few fall rats to Wiebkes for just a little over $4.00. Trying to get out of the shop for a run at some winter beaver to tan. Hoping to catch up by next week. I bought a NOE 311-195-FN I'm wanting to get warmed up and my son brought me 28 lbs. of wheel weights today. There needs to be at least another 4 hours in a day!!

Nice to hear from you Rally. For the coyotes I got this season here in northeast Iowa is 2 had top $45 each out of 10. For here that is not bad. My 2 otters was males and they went $35 each. I forgot the rest and the beavers on what I got, the coon here got distemper bad.I only got 6 for the month I trap,I got 24 rats there is not alot around here for how it is. Alot of possum got 29 of them and sold them all,it is gas money. But I am not hold any furs.It is just a hobby for me. Did you get your 200 beaver? I know it cost alot to get things tan these days.The one that I sold to told me for what it cost to tan some furs and it was high. He will be going to the fur sale in CO. He have a guy in Italy buy just about all his coyotes for how it looks because the guy did the past 2 to 3 years.That mold sound interesting .What will use it in ? thank you

Forgot about to let you know the swivels I got from you at the FTA for the snares i add them on took care of the problems I was haven.I know I need to get more but will let you know on that when the time comes.
    Last edited by trapper9260; 01-26-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Well, it sounds like you guys aren't doing too bad, all things considered. It is good to see the dogs ( coyotes ) getting a good price for a change. I still don't think that the good prices for them will do anything to reduce the #'s of them. I remember years ago one could get his limit on rabbits in 2 - 3 hours. Now your lucky to see one a day. Thank you guys for the fur price updates. Everyone be careful out there.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Coyote price came up after Korea had to state what there fur was on the coats that was ship here to the USA. Because they where usen dog fur that was dye to make it look like coyote. After that is when the market of coyote start to come up and now that is the main one that have some value to them now for the past few years.