Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Article on .40-65 Win. Die Sets

Boolit Buddy

Article on .40-65 Win. Die Sets

Hello all,

I just posted a short article titled, All .40-65 Winchester Die Sets Are Not Equal. If you’re considering a new or used rifle in the caliber you may be interested in the subject matter. It was published in the recent January edition of The Single Shot Exchange Magazine. If you’re not a subscriber, the article can be accessed it at http://www.texas-mac.com/All_40-65_W...not_Equal.html

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Wayne
    If you ever want to check out other .40-65 die sets I have the following you are welcome to borrow.
    1. RCBS original dies in paper box from the 1960s for .406 bullet.
    2. RCBS Cowboy dies
    3. Redding (.416 neck ID)
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have a Browniing 1885 that's been rebarreled to 40/65,I use Redding dies and ,410 dia cast bullets weighing 300 and 350 gr with reformed 45/70,Starline and PMC brass without any problems. Granted I use a scope on the rifle but the smallest group I've shot was 3 shots at 100 yds just under an inch. After that I quit for the day
    put the rifle back in the case and went for lunch.

Nice reporting Wayne. 40's in general are a solid reason to learn how to do a proper chamber, throat and bore cast, otherwise many frustrating days are nearly assured. Bore diameters from .403 to .412 and the numerous variants of chamber dimensions are all out there and not knowing what you are working with can suck all the fun out of a new gun. Sometimes the solution to a tightnecked chamber and a large bore is just to rent a reamer and recut the chamber to be compatible with the bore. Winchester 38-55s can fall into this level of aggravation too.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    Doc
    Your Redding dies size the case necks down to .416 which is about .010 too small.
    RCBS Cowboy dies size to .421 so the brass is not worked so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I have a Browniing 1885 that's been rebarreled to 40/65,I use Redding dies and ,410 dia cast bullets weighing 300 and 350 gr with reformed 45/70,Starline and PMC brass without any problems. Granted I use a scope on the rifle but the smallest group I've shot was 3 shots at 100 yds just under an inch. After that I quit for the day
    put the rifle back in the case and went for lunch.
    EDG

Banned

yep, i did notice the die set inconsistencies with my .40-65 and lee, redding and lyman dies. thank goodness i paper patch.