MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Tin as tin, as Solder, Whatever you have

WTB Tin as tin, as Solder, Whatever you have

I am looking for tin to add to COWW. I realize I don't need much to add to achieve a usable alloy, but, tin is still needed. If you have some tin for sale PM me and so others will know where to get tin post your information, if you would, to help others on this forum.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I am also looking for some tin - without getting scalped in the process.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    bbogue1, I sent you a pm.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I could spare some pewter. I have a bunch smelted and cast into mini ingots in a muffin tin. They weigh 5 to 7.5 ounces a piece and I usually toss one into a full pot of range lead or wheel weights. PM me if you want some.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

I've got some but have never sold any metal. What I have is from a tin plating mill and is suppose
    to be pure. Some of it is in factory ingots and some is in the stubs of the bars they cast it in for
    the automatic feed on plating units. What is a fair price for it?

Boolit Buddy
    Drm50 - I have seen prices all over the map. One guy on another sight had some supposedly pure tin ingots for about $5.00 # shipped. when I inquired if he still had it - he took his post down. I really dont know what it is worth - I have seen some people trying to sell it for 25-35 #

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I have some 60/40 lead/tin solder bars, and some 5/16 triangular 50/50 solder strips. I have never sold any though, and don't know what they are worth. I may be interested in trading for some lead, or COWW. I'm not an expert in mixing alloys, and tend to add too much.
    I can always get more pretty easily.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 20 or so mini bread loaf size bars. I'm traveling this week but if you still need some next weekend let me know. The bars are about 8lbs each.

I have about 150 pounds of 40/60 reclaimed but clean..........

Send me a pm , let's make a deal

BEWARE OH THE TIN DEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it's NOT in factory ingot form with 60-40 or a blend marking
    your hardness tester will be the best investment you have ever made........ have a good collection of PEWTER that isn't what's claimed...............salvaged 60-40 that's not what claimed from this site......3 transactions of
    mystery metal that were to be tin or solder or pewter......................FYI

A good idea is search this forum for solder, pewter, tin to get prices. There is a search forum link above the listings on the right side. Another approach is to look at commercial foundry prices and figure some place around 1/2 to 2/3 of that price is a decent starting point for negotiations. Note I'm not saying selling or buying price, just gives some idea of value IF it is known to be tin content expected.

https://www.rotometals.com/solder/

https://www.rotometals.com/pewter-alloys/

Really the best bet is to look at the WTS listings to get an idea of market value, do realize supply and demand on the site can influence that market price. The foundry price is also variable. I recall pewter has been around $10 per pound down to around $8 or maybe even a few cents less on this site at different times. Depends on what foundry costs and how much is available to purchase here. You the only one with a commodity you get a better price or sell in less time. Five people all offering it and the best deal tends to have to sell off before the higher price listings see any action.

Check the vendor sales. I know one of them had pewter at a good price, from Dom P champagne ice buckets. Might have been orisolo or not, but it was a vendor sales member. Drove down the price too as I recall because they had so much of it.

Pewter has an advantage in shipping costs over solder. Being it is generally close to 90% tin a SFRB can hold a lot more tin as pewter than it can as solder. But then one doesn't really need that much so maybe not a huge issue.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    winchester 71 and RogerDat - thank you for the info - I am always cautious when I see claimed pure tin or 50-50 that has already been melted into ingots in a lyman ingot mold. I have yet to purchase a hardness tester - have read good and bad things on most of them - the ones that have all good comments are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post
    BEWARE OH THE TIN DEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it's NOT in factory ingot form with 60-40 or a blend marking
    your hardness tester will be the best investment you have ever made........ have a good collection of PEWTER that isn't what's claimed...............salvaged 60-40 that's not what claimed from this site......3 transactions of
    Mine are factory ingots, marked 40/60 from the factory and have a lot number on each.
    Also, I'm not a tin dealer or a dealer of anything.

Boolit Buddy
    I got 75lb of linotype that I can part with. It's as it left the print shop nice and clean.
    $3.00 a pound plus shipping.
    Please make it worth the trip to the post office.

Boolit Master

I have Linotype, 50/50 solder, and about 8 lbs. of Imperial Plus metal. Will sell @ $1.50/lb. plus shipping
    Some of the lino and 50/50 is in ingots simply because it was easier to store that way. I am not a dealer, just an old caster winding down on life.
    Larry

I would add pay attention to reputation. Deadbeats and straight shooters part of the forum is there for this purpose. There is a link to it in my signature line. People who have been members for a long time, with a fair number of posts provide an indication of how engaged they are with the community. Although some don't post often even though they have been members for a long time. You take someone that has been a member for 10 years and they would be pretty foolish to rip you off on a small order of tin.

Every once in awhile I sell some lead because I bought more than the budget really allows for because it was good stuff or a good deal. Or I come across some useful (and marketable) brass so I'll sell it here. Others are very active in estate sales or have an inside track to a good source so they sell as vendors or at least more frequently.

Something to consider is scrap is by nature variable. Pewter is not all the same alloy so even if one only melts down hallmarked pewter it can yield a different alloy each batch. Still high tin and high antimony, and maybe even a tiny amount of copper but I have had it gun from 88% Sn to 98% Sn so even if the person selling you pewter is a straight shooter, unless they get it XRF gun tested it will be somewhat variable. Same with linotype, it was reused by melting down after each printing and refreshed by adding alloy when tin got depleted. So a few percentage points above or below "official" specification can be expected. Heck even 125 lb. batches of Clip On Wheel Weights can vary a bit.

Foundry form such as solder in bars stamped with tin/lead ratio or spools that are labeled. Linotype in strips with letters. Printers individual letters are all "known" forms. Sort of like silver quarter or dollar are known amount of silver or krugerrand are a known amount of gold. Pewter objects are stamped either pewter, zinn or have a hallmark but are bulky (expensive) to ship unless melted down into ingots. That is where a reputation matters because these little bars pictured below could be cut with lead, or 100% hallmarked pewter. As I said before even hallmarked pewter will vary some depending on manufactures formula.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0725-1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	212427

It's why I generally suggest doing business here over online auction sites. People here will give you the straight dope on an item or find themselves shunned. Never see as many close up pictures of blemish on stocks or furnishings as you do here. People here mostly want you to know what you are getting so they can feel right about it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I have about 3/4 of a 5gal bucket of Monotype. Have been to busy to fool with it, barely have time
    to cast up a supply of 44 & 45 WCs out of known metal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester 71 View Post

winchester71, By all means, state which people/dealers sold fake goods!
    If you don't you do a disservice to anyone else whom buys from the bad people/dealers,
    and you also do a disservice to anyone who wants to buy from ANY pewter/tin seller,
    as they will be paralyzed by the fear, uncertainty, and doubt you speak!

Please speak out plainly!

I am not the police...............I'm the guy with a bucket of fools metal someday I will have to try and recover to the point of wheel weight or so.............I bought a Lee hardness tester that does work and have learned my lesson in if it's too good to be true it it's not true...............not marked.............beware........it's not easy to make
    mystery metal into anything other then jigs and sinkers................

I agree and always CHECK deadbeats and straight shooters before I buy, and when I buy I try to always leave feedback. In my case I have bought over 20 items on the forum from lead to brass, dies, Dillon parts, etc. I only have one feedback here. I have not sold anything on here as I tend to hold on to everything. I have 100% feedback on eBay, Helifreak forum, rc groups forum, Calguns forum all under the same username (jessdigs28 on eBay) .
    I don't feel comfortable asking people to leave feedback. What is the best way to approach feedback, or is it really only for sellers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast