Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 85 grain 30 Carbine?

Boolit Grand Master

85 grain 30 Carbine?

A few years back I bought some 85 grain Hornady bullets that were allegedly .312 but in fact were .3085. I propose to shoot them in my 30 Carbine, but I am looking for a load that will be both safe and will function the action on my Inland Carbine. Hodgdon suggests 16.5 - 17.5 H110/296. Anyone have any suggestions?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the Hornady .309" 90-grain XTP in both my Inland .30 M1 carbine, Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk revolver and in a Polish TT33 in 7.62x25mm, I use Starline brass, Federal 200 primers and 7.4 grains of AutoComp in all. Gets 1450 fps in the TT33, 1500 fps in the Ruger Blackhawk and 1750 in the M1 Carbine, cycles 100% and drops the brass at your feet. XTP bullet is the bomb on varmints. Same charge works fine with Accurate 31-100T plainbase. More accurate than GI ammo, no leading issues.

Attachment 212380
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I too use the 90 gr Hornady .308 XTP in my M1 carbine. I load it over 15 gr H110 which runs 2150 fps with excellent accuracy. The 85 gr .308 Hornady over the same load groups around 4 moa running right at 2200 fps.

Attachment 212382Attachment 212383
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    15 grains H-110 sounds good. If mine will group at 50 yards as well as yours does at 100 I will be more than satisfied.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Prairie dogging with the Carbine? I'm in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Never PD'd with the M1 Carbine but it does well on rabbits........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Prairie dogging with the Carbine? I'm in!
    Last Easter I did shoot at some prairie dogs with my M1 carbine. It is set up like Larry's. He recommended the scope mounting to me. Great setup. The varmints were pretty wary, and no shot was under 100 yards. I did not get any out of a couple of magazines. I was shooting Wolf FMJ. Those round nose bullets sure do ricochet. Sounded like an old western movie. One of my nephews was using my varmint rifle (AR15, heavy barrel, Zeiss scope), and he did get quite a few after he found the range at about 200 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot shortened 32-20's in my Ruger 30 carbine revolver, look for 32-20 starting loads in book and work up.
    BD