Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas hog...

Boolit Master

One caveat: In the State of Kansas, Landowners or legal occupants of the land or their employees may shoot feral hogs on their property without a permit. AND, I believe when the feral hog problem is recognized as the ecological threat it actually is, there will be unlimited hunting allowed.

Boolit Master
    You can't hunt hogs in Missouri now either. The state has been trapping and shooting from helicopters. They claim the hunters mess up their trapping.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Tinhorn, great job, great shooting!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Alabama claims to have a hog problem, yet hunting them is pretty heavily regulated. Since DCNR can't stand the thought of just letting us hunt them with minimal regulation, they're planning to start poisoning them this year.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't it just like government to want to control everything with the taxpayers footing the bill for them. Just let the public have the option of at least being able to put some meat on the table. When you start poisoning them, scavengers, both wild and domestic, (dogs) end up getting into the poisoned meat, thus causing a chain reaction. Selling some inexpensive tags would at least generate some revenue, instead of expending it. By the way, good shooting. Nice little piggy. That size seems to eat better I'm told. Hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by GunnyJohn; 01-31-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: finish post. hit enter by accident

We have em here in PA in certain areas thanks to the genius of paid fence hunting outfits and the lack of the state doing anything about the import of them. There are wonky laws and special areas. Areas where they are trying to trap them you can't take any of them nor hunt for them. In all other areas you can hunt them but only if hunting for other animals. That is at least the way I read it. Even in the closed areas where they are trapping they only trap in certain seasons. I have plenty of doubts that the plan the PGC is doing will work.

Moderator Emeritus

I can only imagine if they got to Montana, what the weather didn't kill the wolves, coyotes, cougars and bear would.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    We do not have them here in NE Iowa .but the state law is shoot them on sight.
    Same with NW Iowa and South Dakota. One hand wish there was some, but the more logical side says "NO WAY"
    Rob

WHAT??? Outlaw hog hunting in Tennessee?

WHY??
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Another bites the dust. He got 3 couple weeks ago, this one last week, all with 40SW. Been teasing him about BBQ so this one is strung up. I'm relaxing with Tamiflu. He & wife using pistols.
    Attachment 213359
    Last edited by popper; 02-04-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Another bites the dust. He got 3 couple weeks ago, this one last week, all with 40SW. Been teasing him about BBQ so this one is strung up. I'm relaxing with Theraflu.
    Attachment 213359
    Nice, pistol or carbine?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    You can't hunt hogs in Missouri now either. The state has been trapping and shooting from helicopters. They claim the hunters mess up their trapping.
    This is not entirely true. Not legal on lands owned or run by the Missouri conservation dept.
    https://mdc.mo.gov/wildlife/nuisance...-hogs-missouri

Banned
    To All,

IF your area HAS "a feral hog problem" (and I have difficulty believing that you DO NOT or WILL NOT soon have a HUGE problem), I cannot imagine WHY your game & fish department would not allow these invaders/destructive pests to be shot on sight.
    (Here in TX, for quite a long time the TP&WD tried to ignore the ever-growing problem but finally decided that these invasive pests HAD to be removed from our environment wherever encountered. - Now the problem is Statewide & constantly growing worse, despite uncontrolled hunting & use of poisons.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,
    I cannot imagine WHY your game & fish department would not allow these invaders/destructive pests to be shot on sight. tex
    $$$$$$
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    Hickory,

IF anything, the $$$$$$$$$$$ are all on the side of the HORRENDOUS DAMAGE that hogs do to golf courses,, farmer's fields, lawns & parks.
    (I know 2 commercial tomato farmers who lost their entire crops in one night to feral hogs.)

yours, tn

Omega - pistol. >220# , high as his scale goes. He finally gave up on the 9 mm.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Everyone I know that leases from a farmer or rancher in N. Texas says the standing rule is "see a pig, shoot it". They don't care if you leave them where they drop, just kill them. One local farmer spent the day planting corn and had pigs come in behind him and root up everything he planted.

My place is pretty small, only 120 acres. I usually get game camera pictures of around 100 different pigs over the course of a couple of months. Last year, they started coming in regularly during daylight when my feeders go off, so I hunted them pretty hard and got 11. They are back to nocturnal, but still there. My neighbors and I did get them thinned out enough that deer can get to the feeders.

With pigs, I've had better luck with neck shots. I double lunged one with my 6.8 spc that ran more than a 1/4 mile before dropping. I found her a month later on my neighbor's place along our easement. The pig behind her dropped with a broken spine. The advice I read on the 6.8 forum is draw a line from the front shoulder to the back of the ear. Shoot them any place on that line and bang, flop. You also waste less meat. I did that with the last 8 and none of them made it a single step.

Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I shot this with a Glock 20 with a 200gr WFN over 8.2gr of 800X
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_29671.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	219992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2421 (2).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	219994

Not a cb but Cuz's 12th straight one shot kill on hogs. 6.8 SPC/110gr Vmax works for him. 310# boar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast