WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas hog...

Boolit Master
    Its been a while since I read the TN law but my takeaway was that "hog hunting" was relegated to landowners and x number of approved individuals. There is no regulation about killing every one you see! Any transportation of a live feral hog is a major problem with significant penalties. The intent of the law is to prevent the creation of a "hog hunting" industry leading to uncontrollable spread of the tasty but destructive critters. So far I have not seen any sign of them on my farm and the map showed them to be less than 4 miles away close to 10 years ago. Dont know if its the result of the law (haha) or our tendency to shoot and eat tasty critters
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    rking22; Mr Sheesh,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just TWO sorts of places in the USA:
    1. Those places that HAVE a feral hog problem now
    and
    2. Those places that soon WILL HAVE.

Our family farm in NETX has more than "our fair share" of pigs.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    Why would you bother to shoot somethin' that little? Shoulda grabbed it by the hind legs, taped it's mouth shut and tossed it in the bed of your pickup...........haul it home and feed it good stuff for a few weeks........THEN it's fit to eat.

You Tejas folks do strange things!

In Remembrance
    Years ago, hell maybe centuries ago, a couple of friends and I were walking through the woods headed down to the lake. We came out in a small meadow and there were some little pigs playing on the other side of it. My two friends took off running full out across the meadow to try and catch one, I shouted a warning, but they ignored it. Well all was fine until they got close and a pig squealed and momma came to the rescue. lol. They spent the next hour up a tree. lol

Banned
    starmac,

Sows with shoats are like that. = Rotfl.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Most any mama critter will get offended when the little ones start making a ruckus. Some just being more vicious and properly equipped to even the odds.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie southgate View Post
    unfortunately they outlawed hog hunting in tennessee . Good shooting .
    say whattt??!!

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    Yes sir , that is crazy. MGySgt just posted his successful hunt in Tn
    That boar hunt was at a Fenced Lodge (2500 arces). Wilderness Lodge in Monterey Tenn. Private Land and Pay as you go hunt.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Unfortunately they outlawed Hog hunting in Tennessee . Good shooting .

I'm completely baffled by that set of circumstances. I'd like to introduce some of your bunnyhuggers to a cranky old boar and see if they can squeeze a little cuddle time in between writing stupid game laws. Quite awhile back I hunted hogs on a large peanut farm near Turkey, TX. Next trip I learned the farmer could no longer plant peanuts as the hogs would eat them all.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    rking22; Mr Sheesh,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just TWO sorts of places in the USA:
    1. Those places that HAVE a feral hog problem now
    and
    2. Those places that soon WILL HAVE.

Our family farm in NETX has more than "our fair share" of pigs.

yours, tex
    Ugh, no doubt that is correct. So far the state of Colorado seems to be holding them at bay in the southeast corner of the state. Just a matter of time.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

In Remembrance
    Farmers in Texas could get them thinned down considerably if they wanted to, but would rather consider them a cash cow. I am sure there are plenty that would like to see them thinned, but plenty don't too.

Boolit Buddy
    Friend has 350 acres of brush in San Patricio County... High fenced... Had everything on it BUT pigs, and decided (without seeking counsel) that he should have "a few". Bought 4... a boar and three sows... Then told a couple of us about his accomplishment... We told him to put his kids to work right away and kill 'em all quick. Six months go by and I ask him if he shot all his pigs... Said they'd killed 3 but the rest are down in the deep brush... Asked him "The rest? How many are left?" As near as he could tell, he was down to about 16... Easy to understand once you know how prolific they are and how thick and scratchy this brush country is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    Friend has 350 acres of brush in San Patricio County... High fenced... Had everything on it BUT pigs, and decided (without seeking counsel) that he should have "a few". Bought 4... a boar and three sows... Then told a couple of us about his accomplishment... We told him to put his kids to work right away and kill 'em all quick. Six months go by and I ask him if he shot all his pigs... Said they'd killed 3 but the rest are down in the deep brush... Asked him "The rest? How many are left?" As near as he could tell, he was down to about 16... Easy to understand once you know how prolific they are and how thick and scratchy this brush country is.
    Amazing. That is like buying several rats and letting them loose in your pantry.

Boolit Master
    16, that's only 2 litters! Wait a few more months & do another head count, it will be close to 100.

Dick

Banned
    brewer12345; sixshot,

SPOT ON are BOTH of you. = IF the "high fence guy" does nothing, in about 3 years he'll have 400-500 AND the hogs will have rooted up or eaten everything on his place.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-23-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    brewer12345; sixshot,

SPOT ON are BOTH of you. = IF the "high fence guy" does nothing, in about 3 years he'll have 400-500 AND the hogs will have rooted up or eaten everything on his place.

yours, tex
    That sort of thing is why I hope the dang things never get past the part of Colorado that borders the OK panhandle. If they get established in the rest of the state it will be a tremendous mess.

We do not have them here in NE Iowa .but the state law is shoot them on sight.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Standing order in 'high fence' or hunting preserve is shoot on sight or trap & remove. Heard from my friend with property, he and another guy got 3 last weekend, in a single trap. Not much food this time of year so they are on the move.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    we had / have some here in Az.

game and fish sent out a Tx. shooter in a Helo to shoot the ones near the Az. Ca. border….70? i think i one day?? I can't get in there due to Fed land, Native lands, Refuge , military bases…what ever . You need a helo to get back there fast and hard.
    So long story short- it hard enough for me to get out here to do my part, the stat took over and id it for the hunters…good and bad.
    they don;t go out of there way to help folks find them or locate them or even admit we had any for many years. I know locals that tell about them but won;t say when or where or anything..

I am not saying we want them here but it would be another food source for the truly POOR hunter that can;t pay for HUNTS or never gets drawn for ELK OR BISON here……and the deer ?? I think we need to shoot the invasive horses and burros too, they don;t belong here just like the Spanish pigs brought here , the HORSE would make for great food….
    Maybe a bounty on them PIGS would help -??? like they did for wolves??

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Unfortunately they outlawed Hog hunting in Tennessee . Good shooting .
    Not legal in Kansas either

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast