Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEEKING a PRE-1836 FLINTLOCK RIFLE, MUSKET or FOWLER

Banned

SEEKING a PRE-1836 FLINTLOCK RIFLE, MUSKET or FOWLER

Friends,

I've been asked to become a LIVING HISTORY DOCENT at our Alamo Shrine & to portray a common TX militiaman of the 1835-36 era.
    (As our TX Revolution soldiers were over 90% "poor folks", I'm looking for the sort of long-arm that a new immigrant to early Texas could have afforded to buy or trade for. - Probably at least HALF of the firearms used in our little "amateur" revolution were Brown Bess or other similar smooth-bore muskets of the American Revolution and/or the War of 1812 periods. The vast majority of the rest were "Plain Jane"/cheaply made mountain rifles & fowling pieces of many sorts.)

Therefore, I'm seeking a "well-used looking" FLINTLOCK military musket, very plain-looking country rifle or a fowling piece. - Preferably the firearm should look like it's been "on a few long campaigns".
    (I see NO reason to buy a new firearm & then "mess it up", so I'm looking for a "well-used & worn-looking" long-gun. =====> The musket/rifle/fowler MUST be safe to frequently fire with BLANKS.)

THANKS for reading this. - PM me if you have such a firearm that is surplus to your needs.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-21-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

Congrats on being picked to portray a common TX militiaman of the 1835-36 era. Best of luck on finding what you are looking for.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Banned
    RED333,

Fwiw, I'm attending my second docent training classe tomorrow night & will complete my classwork by the end of JAN18 & in time to participate in this years 2-week commemoration of the Siege/Fall of The Shrine.
    (Of course, the learning of a docent is UNENDING, as there is always more to learn.)

THANKS for the "good wishes", tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-21-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Congrats on being selected, what an honor. I too hope you find what you're looking for.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Banned
    slim1836,

THANKS.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Ditto the accolades, a real honor.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Banned
    Ed in North Texas,

I fear, outside of the confines of The Lone Star State, that few people will understand why we wild/rebellious TEXICANS are either impressed or even understand your congratulations. - Otoh, I am quite pleased.

Note: Two men and a teen-aged boy from our extended family "rushed to the colors", when GEN Austin called for volunteers for our little/fledgling military forces.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-22-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typos/add

Boolit Master

Banned
    Michael J. Spangler,

While I would love to own such a fine/original piece & it certainly would be quite suitable, it is FAR beyond the budget of a pensioner. - IF it is in the stated fine condition, it should likely be in the collection of a military museum, rather than be exposed to our often inclement Texas weather.
    (I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. = I'm looking for a "used" reproduction & preferably one that is quite well-worn.)

THANKS, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-22-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Man
    Check out the rifle shop in ok. They make all kinds of reproduction rifles and pistols that are direct copies of original guns from all countries. They have an online catalog too and great people. http://www.therifleshoppe.com
    Tell them what you need.

Boolit Master

Suggest you head over to the American Longrifles website and post your request there. Many collectors and builders there of rifles, fowlers and military pieces. Someone will either have what you need or be able to direct you to someone who can help you out. Lots of expertise there in the area of your interest
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned
    square butte,

THANKS for the idea. - Hadn't heard of it.

yoiurs, tex

Boolit Master

Tex - Just to let you know, I am a 5th generation Texan ( although i hate to admit it in mixed company (smile). There are many more here

Banned
    square butte,

Fwiw, the FIRST of our extended family to arrive in TX was a young married couple (Robert Henry & Leticia Fey B________) who FLED Marshall County, MS in 1822 to Nacogdoches, New Spain because of "an unfortunate circumstance", with everything that they owned tied behind their saddles & packed upon a "good young red mule" that Leticia had received as a wedding present.
    (I cannot find out what the "unfortunate circumstance" was.)

The rest of the family FLED to TX in 1865 to escape the revenge of the cruel ****YANKEES.
    (In 1865-66, the radical DY invaders were lynching many people in MS, AL, GA & LA, without even the pretense of a trial, simply because many people there had fought for the CSA as Partisan Rangers/guerrillas.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-22-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: addenda

Boolit Master

My folks showed up 1846/47. I forget which year - but we have a letter from my 5 greats Grandmother stating they drove a wagon across the Mississippi river somewhere above IL when it froze up that winter. Hard to imagine that. I went to college in Nacogdoches

Banned
    squre butte,

EXCELLENT.

Btw, Robert Henry was a militiaman & was "with Houston" at San Jacinto. = He received "bounty land" for his service in what now is Panola County.

yours, tex

Banned
    To All,

I'm still looking for a suitable USED rifle or musket.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    i came across this on gb https://www.gunbroker.com/item/742463841 i also emailed it to you since i couldnt pm you

Banned
    mongoosesnipe,

THANKS.

yours, tex

Banned
    Friends,

I'm still looking for a militia flintlock, that a pensioner can afford to buy.

yours, tex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast