Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullet for Glock after market barrel??

Boolit Buddy

Cast bullet for Glock after market barrel??

Been trying to find a good bullet to use in an after-market barrel in a Glock G30. Kinda like the Lee 452-200-SWC. does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I will be casting, so not really interested in any commercial bullets.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I never used an aftermarket barrel in any of my Glocks.... never got any leading, either...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the LEE TC boolit.

I'd like find a mold, a 6 cav, that weighs around 150 gr.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I never could get the SWC bullet to run 100% in my 30s. It seems like I had at least one jam per magazine. I varied the seating depth, but it didn't help much. The biggest issue was the spent case getting hung up on the round next in line in the mag. This was with the factory barrel, which is the G36 barrel. Gun shop talk is that the glocks don't like SWC profile bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    Gun shop talk is that the glocks don't like SWC profile bullets.
    This has been my experience with the Glock 21 as well. The 200 grain SWCs that imitate H&G #68 and Lyman #452460 feed with kind of a "hiccup", while the Lee TC 230 and Lyman #452374 feed smoothly and reliably. The Lee TC bullets have fed well in every autopistol I have tried them in--9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, and 45 ACP. Seat them with .020" of the front drive band above the case mouth edge--set a light taper crimp--and go play.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I’ve fired a whole mess of H&G 68 and Lyman 452423 out of my factory Glock 21 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My Glock 21 factory barrel digests Lyman 452374, 452460 and the Accruate 45-200E with total reliability. I'd say the Lyman 452460 has the advantage for accuracy in my G21.

I shoot Lee 230 gr TC in my G21 factory barrel with no problems. I do clean my gun after use.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    Do I hear a bunch of you shooting cast bullets from standard factory glock barrels?

I thought I'd read that was a non-starter.

Have a friend with a glop so I'd be interested in cast bullet use.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I shot lots of cast in my G21 and G30. Never a problem with leading. All loads were less than 925 fps.

The one thing I noticed was that all my "target" or mouse fart loads for the 1911 would not reliably run in the Glocks. For example, a 230 LRN over 5.2 W231 ran great in 2 1911's, but not in the Glocks. I bumped the load up to 5.4 grains W231 and 100% reliability resulted.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the advertised advantages of a Polly rifled barrel when glocks an hks came out with them was reduced leading. They do need to be properly sized but once that is worked out I get far less leading in stock glocks than I do in my colt or smith and wessons

Boolit Master
    That Lee tc bullet is what I use for my 9 mm and what I did use for my .45 acp. It shot great and never gave me troubles feeding. The boolits I used in the 9mm wouldn't shoot too awfully well in my .357,even in .38 special cases. Then I found out that my rear sight was not working properly. A trip to the gunsmith and $55 later and it's supposed to be fixed. As soon as I feel that I am having a good day I'll go to the range and find out......I don't have any empty .357 or .38 special brass laying around, so I gotta go save some money by firing some so I can cast and handload some more.. ain't that how it works?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    To clarify on my Glock 21/H&G #68 and Lyman #452460 experience--both fed fully and reliably, but there was a discernible "stutter" during the feed cycle. I ran these past 400 rounds and reliability stayed constant, but so too did the little "ka-chunk" extra impulse during cycling. FWIW.

The 45 ACP is a pretty lead-friendly caliber........the 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm are not always so indulgent. I need to find an aroundtuit in order to run some castings through my Glock 40s and 10mms. If any reports of mushroom clouds in the eastern Mojave Desert are broadcast, that will be me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I need to find an aroundtuit in order to run some castings through my Glock 40s and 10mms. If any reports of mushroom clouds in the eastern Mojave Desert are broadcast, that will be me.
    Send them to me. I’ll run them through the paces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The problem with the tube is not so much the bore, it is the unsupported chamber. If you check your brass you will see a bulge where the brass is blown out. Continue using the same brass and you run the risk of a separation and subsequent gas going where it shouldn't. A replacement tube is not as expensive as a trip to the E.R. or worse. How much is a body part worth to you?
    Sam

Boolit Master
    I thought glop had taken care of that problem. NO???

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    I had a problem with leading in my g30 until I cast my own. RCBS 45-230-RN works great in factory bbl as well as storm lake

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    The problem with the tube is not so much the bore, it is the unsupported chamber. If you check your brass you will see a bulge where the brass is blown out. Continue using the same brass and you run the risk of a separation and subsequent gas going where it shouldn't. A replacement tube is not as expensive as a trip to the E.R. or worse. How much is a body part worth to you?
    Sam
    The "unsupported chamber" issue was the the reason I bought a Lone Wolf barrel at the same time I bought my Glock 21. After reading a lot of commentary on this form about the Glock 21 and considering the fact that I have buckets of de-primed and cleaned range pick-up 45 ACP brass it dawned on me that I have NEVER seen a single piece of GLOCKED 45 ACP brass (as in the case having a Glock Smile from being streched in an unsupported Glock chamber). So one day I put the stock factory barrel back in my Glock 21 and guess what the bore stays absolutely clean of any build up after hundreds of rounds and in my estimation accuracy and function/reliability is superior using the factory barrel. All my weapons get cleaned after every use as a matter of course. It is also obvious to me that the brass fired in my Glock 21 chamber is not the worse for wear because it was a Glock chamber. I am a G21 factory barrel convert.

I also have a Glock 22 and I have a Lone Wolf barrel installed which I consider a fantastic shooter. I likewise have buckets of processed 40 SW range pick-up brass and have seen plenty of scary Glock-Smile stretch marks on range pick-up 40 SW brass. I do not intend to use the factory barrel for my G22.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran some numbers a few years ago on my stock G30 barrel vs Storm Lake in reference to cracked case mouths. It was a 2% gain. That's it. Yeah, the Glock chamber is a tad more generous but its a non issue. I've never seen this "glocked brass" in a 45. I had about 400 rounds of RCBS 45-230-RN over 4.5 gr of WST through mine before I cleaned it last Sunday. If you want an aftermarket barrel for peace of mind then so be it, but my experience (21,855 rounds so far) with your exact type of gun lends me to believe its not necessary. For what its worth, mine developed a crack just above the takedown pin on the right side around 20k but I had been using the Storm Lake barrel for the past 18k rounds. When Glock replaced the frame and all associated parts for free I went back to using the stock barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Do I hear a bunch of you shooting cast bullets from standard factory glock barrels?

I thought I'd read that was a non-starter.

Have a friend with a glop so I'd be interested in cast bullet use.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Just clean the bbl more often. Especially in low pressure 45acp, just not a huge issue.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast