Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Roofers, Better shingle CertainTeed vs Owens Corning Duration

Any Roofers, Better shingle CertainTeed vs Owens Corning Duration

Looking to reroof in the mountains of Colorado, lots of wind, not much hail (maybe pea sized twice a year) and lots of snow. The humidity is usually <10% so I'm thinking I don't need much hail/alge resistance. I do need huge wind resistance and I'll be 6 nailing. 4/12 pitch. Surenail looks cool.

Looking at Owens Corning Duration Designer or as a second CertainTeed Landmark. Any thoughs?

Boolit Master

Go to metal.

Boolit Master

I gave up on shingles and have metal on every roof I own. look into a standing seam commercial grade metal and be done with roofing for the next 50 plus years. metal costs a lot more up front but with the insurance savings and longevity it pays you back in the long run.

Boolit Master

go metal

Boolit Master

ps cost is comparable as steel requires less labor

Boolit Master
    With a 4/12 pitch I agree go metal standing seam is best
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

I'm not looking to stay in the house for much over 3-4 years and I'm not looking for much upfront costs. I'll do the work myself. This house was an abandoned foreclosure I'm fixing up to make a profit while living in it. Not sure about the lightning increase, but I'm next to a huge field and there are tons of lightning strikes nearby.

An old house about 2 miles away in a field (other side of hog back from me) was hit so many times it now sits abandoned.

Boolit Master

In the New Mexico mountains shingles get brittle in a couple years. I put on propanel and weathered many hailstorm and was the only survivor when we got hit with wildfire. I like steel.

Boolit Master
    I recommend what ever you put on cover the entire roof with ice and water instead of felt paper.
    http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti.../leak_barriers

Boolit Bub
    I don't want to know much about shingles, I can do them, I just don't want to.
    I had the opportunity to talk to a shingle engineer about what is the best shingle. He said they all have pros and cons but that he has Owens Corning Duration on his house. I have not used any other shingle since then.
    I have steel on my house.

Boolit Master
    We've been using these lately. I'm not sure if they're in your area.

https://www.atlasroofing.com/roof-shingles

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Either one will be fine. At the same price/quality level any major companies shingles are comparable. I have 4/12 pitch on my house and although I'll re-roof this year I put on 25 year shingles on 28 years ago and could let it go a few more years if I wanted too.

I had my former home done with Owens Corning Duration in 2014. It's 8/12 pitch and I hired the premier roofer in the area. It was too steep for me to strip and shingle myself. He only used the Duration because of the lifetime warrantee. I did my 2 car garage because it's 3/12 pitch and I had all the equipment and I use to work for a roofer in the 80's. It was one of the hottest days of the year and the shingles wanted to stick together as soon as I threw them onto the roof. I had the roofer 5-nail the house, and I had plenty of coil nails so I did the same with the garage. I've seen shingles slip on steep roofs, so I wanted to be sure. I can't imagine the wind could lift them. I had 2 strips of ice guard installed at the bottom all around. It's absolutely essential in my book.

Metal roofs are the rage around here, but I'm suspicious of driving screws through a new roof. I know the screws have rubber washers under the head, but what happens after many hot/cold weather cycles and the washers start to split? The same contractor who did mine will only do standing seam metal for that very reason.

I would check to see if the Duration still had the lifetime warrantee and go from there. Things DO change.

Banned
    If your roof isn't cut up (lots of dormers, gables, valleys) metal 1-inch standing seam is very easy to install, sheds snow well and is fireproof (a good feature to have in the woods and has many colors to choose from.

Boolit Master

if your not going to be in the house more than a few years, find a roof with a transferable warranty. doesnt matter what it is, the warranty will give you a better return upon sale of the house.

Boolit Master

I put on a metal roof about 6 years ago. At the time good metal was slightly cheaper than good shingles and the warranty was 15 years longer.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I went with CertainTeed last year, laid by same roofer who subcontracted most of the roof work for my renovation/restoration business. Forty-year, transferrable warranty (pro-rated, of course) BUT you have to do a complete tear-off (down to bare decking) then use their underlayment and vent system to get it. Previous shingles were also CertainTeed (applied by me and my crew, in between paying jobs) weren't their "Best" but were on for 25 years and could've probably gone a couple more.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I've put Duration singles on 14 houses in the last three years. Guaranteed for winds in excess of 120 MPH and lifetime warranty if you use their underlayment. Metal is ok in the short term,after 10-12 years starting to see issues with insects moving in and condensation damage due primarily to marginal instillation practices. I am differentiating between standing seam and rigid steel sheeting. From what I've seen standing seam will out live everything but slate but it's expensive.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I would recommend Durations if you are shingling. I just redid my house roof for the third time and I'm going for the warrantee this time as I'll be in my 80's when it needs it again. So, Durations it is. My shop is getting the same next spring. If I didn't have five skylights and a chimney cricket I'd have gone metal. If your roof is fairly straight forward, metal is the way to go. Where metal falls down is in conflicting or asymmetric valleys, skylights, eyebrows, midspan pitch breaks and due south facing roofs in far northern climates. Unless you can afford something that can be soldered. I've supervised 1/2 dozen projects that got copper, or copper and slate, roofs and they are the best thing going. But, I can't afford it for my own roofs.

Boolit Grand Master

You need to get the shingles my brother has. He's been taking shots for two months and they won't go away! I put on Certain Teed 10 years ago and now I will have to live to 95 before I re roof. I stay up nights wondering witch one of us will make it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast