• 10mm

72 75.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 10mm or 45 Super for hunting and a hiking, backpacking gun

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Don't black bears climb trees?

And I think the OP was referring to Brown Bears. Not the same animal as Black at all! At least I don't know anywhere that the ranges of black bear overlap with moose AND cougars.

In any case I think it a mistake to use an auto-pistol. A S&W 610 vs. a S&W 625. 45acp and 40 short and weak is everywhere and would work in the same chamber with no reliability worries in revolver. Just like a 357/38 but with moon clips. 45 super and 10mm are basically handloading affairs. In that situation my nod would go to the 625/45 super loaded with a heavy bullet in the first chamber. And perhaps lighter expanding bullets going faster in the others. Make sights for the first shot. The rest are for shooting at PBR.

I woukd seriously consider a long gun or something like a 460 or 500 if you are in Brown bear country (not my country).
    moose, cougar, and black bears all reside in MN.

I spend alot of time in the wilderness. I dont carry unless its hunting season. Ive dealt with mock charges and black bears tactics. I pay a premium for a light tent,sleepingbag,stove,waterfilter,toothbrush etc. If im realistic about what the threats to my survival are i cant justify the burden of a gun. As such my answer to the OP would be get the one youll enjoy at the range too, cuz thats when youl use it.
    I'm in NO WAY discuraging the op from carying, but in MN there have been far more attacks by otter than wolf. Tho there was a black bear that attacked 2 groups bout 60 miles from here this winter , it made national news .
    I guess if i were to justify something for protection in the sub boreal where i reside itd be a marine coat shockwave. good for bear and otter

https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/1...ers-dog-owner/

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...ake/435838403/

Boolit Master
    No matter where you are or what you're doing, carry the one you shoot the best. Also, why choose to be a victim when it's legal to carry? I teach a ladies handgun class & one of the first questions I ask them is, would any of you drive to Salt Lake City with out your spare tire? I think all of you can figure out where I'm going with that question.

Dick

Boolit Bub
    Interesting thoughts and ideas, I em seeing some differences, it as there should be , I can see everyones point.Please do not jump in to quickly. Study,think,and try to find someone who has some experience with the calibers you are considering as they are little above average on recoil.More important above all else to would to become capable with whatever I chose. I hope this does not sound sanctious or offensives I done things to rashly over the years.

Zombie thread ….

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234