• 45 Super

24 25.26%
  • 10mm

72 75.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm or 45 Super for hunting and a hiking, backpacking gun

10mm or 45 Super for hunting and a hiking, backpacking gun

The the most I would run into in the woods that I would be hunting or need protection against would be mountain lion, moose, deer and black bear. I would be buying ammo and possibility of reloading for both calibers.

Of the two would you choose a 45 super or a 10 mm hand would you choose a 45 super or a 10 mm handgun for hiking, backpacking and hunting? I have read some guys are getting 460 Rowland performance out of there 45 supers. But how reliable is the gun at feeding him a hundred percent.

Are most 45acp guns pretty easy at converting and getting them to run reliable with 45 super ammo?

I've seen a couple videos on YouTube where the 45 super would go through 12 water jugs and keep on going where the 10mm would only go through about 5 milk jugs and stop. Again this is water jugs and not bone or wildgame.

Thank you very much for your input in advance!

I looked at the Hodgdon data site at the velocity data for both cartridges and came away with no clear choice.
    With either cartridge and a 200 grain boolit, the velocities are a tossup. I would expect the 10mm to have slightly better penetration than the 45 Super given the same style of boolit.
    If you go with a 230 grain boolit in the 45 Super, you might be able to edge out the 10mm. A lot would depend on the individual gun and load.

Banned

Both will work well. Pick'em

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Both will work well. Pick'em
    My thoughts exactly!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

10mm. More rounds on average and definitely capable for most needs.

Boolit Master
    45 Super vs 10mm

Pretty close however my vote goes to 10mm for penetration if one is looking at something that wants to claw or put teeth into a person.

If you’re wanting off the shelf ammo, I’d vote 10mm. To me, it was also require the least amount of tinkering for proper spring weights too.

Boolit Master
    Model G40 Glock with a 7" KKM barrel loaded with a 200 grain GC WFN will outpace the 45 Super. I just checked outa 180 grain XTP from this setup getting 1550 FPS !!!!

It is very packable with DD chest holster (keep your minds out of the gutter ) and the gun is very accurate to further distance and it gives you the ability to take even the commercial loads and get some impressive velocity and energy.

Having shot s few Black Bears with the 10 it has done the job well.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 01-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.

And just to confuse you a little more

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Straight up .45 ACP over either. Hardball speed with 230 grain LFN's of WQWW has given me nine milk jugs. That'll give you a broadside pass-through on an elk unless you're hitting shoulders. Having been present for a 1911/.45 Super barrel burst, put me firmly in the camp of NOT letting Captain Kirk put that kind of stress on the dilithium crystals. We have revolvers for a reason.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the 10mm more powerful than the 40S&W ? remember the 40 was made up of a shorter 10mm for those that couldn't handle the power of the 10 which is why it's called 40 short&weak.
    I use a G20 with CorBon solids for my in the woods protection for 4 & 2 legged critters, easier to feed with off the shelf fodder, can't recall seeing .45 Super on the shelves.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    Is the 10mm more powerful than the 40S&W ? remember the 40 was made up of a shorter 10mm for those that couldn't handle the power of the 10 which is why it's called 40 short&weak.
    I use a G20 with CorBon solids for my in the woods protection for 4 & 2 legged critters, easier to feed with off the shelf fodder, can't recall seeing .45 Super on the shelves.
    Depends who loads it - check out the video I posted
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Vendor Sponsor

Dangerous game? 45 ACP would be my LAST choice!

10mm will out penetrate the 45 ACP any day of the week.

45 Super will out penetrate the 10mm any day of the week.

One good thing to remember is never bring a knife to a gunfight.

One even more gooder thing to remember is always bring enough gun to any fight.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

If you take the OPs question, and you take all the suggestions posted in reply, and you lined up a table full of bowling pins, and you shot 5 pins off the table as fast as you could with each caliber/load suggested in this thread, which one would clear the table the fastest, which one would fling pins 10 feet behind the table? THIS is the load you want for the game the OP listed in his post. If it wouldn't absolutely do a number on bowling pins, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to depend on it for game a whole lot bigger and meaner than me!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'll just stick with 45ACP or swap over to 44Rem Mag depending on what critters I expect will bother me. (2 or 4 legged?)

Ranger Creek in this state (by Mt Rainier sorta) used to have someone robbed while camping alone, almost every weekend we were out there - So if out alone and a dog is legal to have with you, they can help spot dangers...

Boolit Master

I have been considering getting a 400 Cor-Bon barrel for my 1911. Same performance at 10MM, less operating pressure, easy to make brass. I would use 45 super or Win Mag brass for the thicker case head.

Bottle necked pistol cases have a cool factor. I had collected so much 357 Sig brass that I ended up buying a Wolf barrel for my G22 and some dies. The Lee 358-125 RF has the same profile as some factory rounds a friend gave me. He found out I was going to start shooting that cartridge and gave me over a case of 357 Sig rounds he didn't need anymore. Anyway, after shooting the 357 Sig it got me thinking about the 400 Cor-Bon round.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Depends who loads it - check out the video I posted
    I did watch them, I also know that a lot of companies download their 10's which is why I go with full power Cor-Bons, I also load my own not so hot but up there loads to bring out the 10's potential, not trying to slam other calibers just putting out there what I have learned about the 10, my go to gun at home is the G23 and have always thought the nickname short and weak funny.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    "Dangerous game"? OP mentioned "mountain lion, moose, deer and black bear" - A seriously ticked off moose would be probably the worst of those dangerous game critters, I'd think that 8 rounds of 45 ACP in the boiler room in about 3 seconds wouldn't do a moose lots of good. (Used to be able to do an "El Presidente" drill in 5.5 seconds or so, I imagine under stress I'd be reloaded and emptying mag #2 pretty fast if needed & if possible...) Now, if we're talking Brown bears, I'd swap to a 12 gauge or larger rifle round; That wasn't what the OP specified though. Mountain Lion your best defense is to not be running and to be situationally aware, plus armed. Same for the other critters really, which OP mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I did watch them, I also know that a lot of companies download their 10's which is why I go with full power Cor-Bons, I also load my own not so hot but up there loads to bring out the 10's potential, not trying to slam other calibers just putting out there what I have learned about the 10, my go to gun at home is the G23 and have always thought the nickname short and weak funny.
    Yep, big difference in Ammo Mfg products and I know that 10mm and 357 mag suffer from down loading from original loadings.

Here's a video of Buffalo Bore 45 Super tested
    je suis charlie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Dangerous game? 45 ACP would be my LAST choice!

10mm will out penetrate the 45 ACP any day of the week.

45 Super will out penetrate the 10mm any day of the week.

One good thing to remember is never bring a knife to a gunfight.

One even more gooder thing to remember is always bring enough gun to any fight.
    This is reality

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast