Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Khe Sanh

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    The last picture of Westmoreland I saw had him wearing a US Army uniform. He commanded US forces in Vietnam from 1964 to 1968. Blaming the Marine Corps leadership for carrying out Westmoreland’s direction is stretching it a bit, don’t you think?
    Again, I have highest respect for individual Marines. But the Marines were still fighting Korea. They did not have effective utilization of artillery or rotary wing avitation. In WWII, the army perfected the time on target method of massing the fires of up to dozens of batteries to land on a single target at the same instant, with devestaging effect. The Marines had not mastered this doctrine and could participate in TOTs in their area in conjunction with army and allied batteries. Their helicopters were obsolete junk. They would not "launch" a mission if it was dark, if it was raining or there was ground fire. Those are prime times when you need helo support. Marine FOs and experienced NCOs could not call for or adjust air strikes. They had special parties of Marine and Navel personnel called ANGLO teams that were the only parties that could direct air strike and they were never where they were needed. When the army launched Operation Pegasus to relieve the Marines at Khe Sahn, there were 400 helicopters in the air. Each had two crewmen trained to call for and adjust artillery fire or air strikes. The 26th Marines had 12 FOs who could adjust only the battery they were assigned to. By contrast, our division had almost a thousand personnel who could call for and adjust air strikes. After three days of our 400 helicopters searching out enemy and destroying them with artillery and air strikes, there was no one left to fight. The enemy retreated to Laos. After evacuating over 2,000 marines from the base, we secured the base with 400 grunts from the 5th Cav.

They dumped a battalion of the 26th on a hill in the middle of our firebase on LZ Sharon in Quang Tri. After a couple of days a truck load of C rations and water showed up for their troops. They were reduced to begging us for food and medics. Our brigade commander got extra rations and we opened our mess up them for breakfast and dinner. After two weeks on our hill, the marines were still wearing the uniforms that they had not changed in three months. we built a shower point and issued them clean clothes. All this took place less than 10 miles from the 3d Marine Division Headquarters. I still cannot believe how the Marines treated their troops like animals after enduring three months on Khe Sahn.

Boolit Man
    ''They dumped a battalion of the 26th on a hill in the middle of our firebase on LZ Sharon in Quang Tri. After a couple of days a truck load of C rations and water showed up for their troops. They were reduced to begging us for food and medics. Our brigade commander got extra rations and we opened our mess up them for breakfast and dinner. After two weeks on our hill, the marines were still wearing the uniforms that they had not changed in three months. we built a shower point and issued them clean clothes. All this took place less than 10 miles from the 3d Marine Division Headquarters. I still cannot believe how the Marines treated their troops like animals after enduring three months on Khe Sahn.''

i was one of those Marines that came into LZ Sheron i never saw a hill there, in fact, we were set up by some motor t guys with a great big mud hole right in the middle of their area. All the helicopters were leaving for some big operation so we were doing the security for that area of the base. Never once did we ''beg'' for food, never. In fact i met one of my buddy's that is from the same town as i was, we ran around together. I dated his sister, he arranged our mortar squad to get a hot meal and a shower. Clean clothes, ha,you don't change clothes every time you go out on a operation, we did with what we had. The rest of the time, we just stole it from the army, they had way too much anyway. I was never treated like a animal, we had a job to do, and we did it. There's a reunion coming up with our guys in the near future ,you should come and tell them this, they just might see it a different way. Betting they'd laugh and say, ''hay, that's the way it is in war.''

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Saturday marked the 49th anniversary of my cousin George being KIA. He was a short timer with 2 weeks left.

BERNARD GEORGE PURVIS

Wall Name:BERNARD G PURVIS
    Date of Birth: 4/29/1948
    Date of Casualty: 1/27/1969
    Home of Record: NORFOLK
    County of Record: ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY
    State: NY
    Branch of Service: MARINE CORPS
    Panel/Row:33W, 4
    Casualty Province: QUANG NAM
    Awarded posthumously for actions during the Vietnam WarThe President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lance Corporal Bernard G. Purvis (MCSN: 2391296), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Squad Leader with Company A, First Battalion, Third Marines, THIRD Marine Division in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On 29 January 1969, Lance Corporal Purvis' squad was participating in a combat patrol near An Hoa in Quang Nam Province when the Marines came under a heavy volume of hostile fire delivered by a well-concealed enemy force. Reacting instantly, he skillfully deployed his men into effective fighting positions and unhesitatingly led an aggressive assault against the hostile unit. Completely disregarding his own safety, he repeatedly exposed himself to the intense enemy fire as he fearlessly moved about the hazardous area, shouting words of encouragement to his men and directing their accurate fire upon the hostile emplacements until he was mortally wounded. His outstanding leadership and aggressive fighting spirit inspired all who observed him and were instrumental in the subsequent defeat of the enemy. By his courage, bold initiative and unfaltering devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Purvis contributed significantly to the accomplishment of his unit's mission and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Rip bernard george purvis you are not forgotten.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Man
    Never forgotten, Bernard was a Sharp looking Marine. I"m sorry for your families loss. I think of these guys often, and wonder how i made it though it all. A friend of mine was in country 2 wks ,stepped off a helicopter and a sniper got him. Pat was a red headed guy, quiet, and great all around guy, he is missed.

Lance Corporal Purvis was a fine looking Marine. And he obviously pulled his weight and then some. RIP, Marine.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

I was a Soldier, not a Marine. In the 1980s I sometimes worked with a retired Marine Staff Sgt. as contract A.F. Security Police Officers. One night when we were making our rounds I asked him, "How long were you a soldier?" He replied, "I wasn't a soldier--I was a Marine!" I've never forgotten that, and admired him for the answer. But, no matter what you want to call yourself, all go in harm's way and are brothers.

I never understood Khe Sanh. The French had Dien Bien Phu, where they put all of their troops in a low area surrounded by mountains and took terrible punishment until they understandably surrendered. Seemed to me, from afar in the U.S. of A., my military service having been over for several years, that the Marines were doing the same thing as the French. Couldn't understand it, and watched it closely thinking that the master stroke of tactics would soon come. But it didn't. What a waste, as are so many things in war.

I salute the young man in the photo above, and my sympathies go out to his family who will always miss him. Marines or Soldiers, may God bless you all. I also salute you who were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I was a Soldier, not a Marine. In the 1980s I sometimes worked with a retired Marine Staff Sgt. as contract A.F. Security Police Officers. One night when we were making our rounds I asked him, "How long were you a soldier?" He replied, "I wasn't a soldier--I was a Marine!" I've never forgotten that, and admired him for the answer. But, no matter what you want to call yourself, all go in harm's way and are brothers.

I never understood Khe Sanh. The French had Dien Bien Phu, where they put all of their troops in a low area surrounded by mountains and took terrible punishment until they understandably surrendered. Seemed to me, from afar in the U.S. of A., my military service having been over for several years, that the Marines were doing the same thing as the French. Couldn't understand it, and watched it closely thinking that the master stroke of tactics would soon come. But it didn't. What a waste, as are so many things in war.

I salute the young man in the photo above, and my sympathies go out to his family who will always miss him. Marines or Soldiers, may God bless you all. I also salute you who were there.
    Well said.

Boolit Master

My cousin was a Marine in Vietnam also from NY that never made it home alive, I wear a bracelet on me to never forget not all soldiers make it home. The sad part of the whole thing is that I was on active duty but never notified because I was in the Army. When you sign your life over to the military there is no guarantee you will come home either alive or dead, look how many soldiers we have no idea what happened to them. I wonder if the nation ever needed a whole lot of soldiers if there would be enough to answer the call today.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Say "Thank You" to my neighborhood and spear fishing friend Charlie Bates. We had fun growing up in Michigan. He drove the tank that relieved the Marines . He said Vietnam, was hot and humid in his tank but at least the tanks all looked like his. Not like in Germany where a bunch of the tanks look Russian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12