Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In the universe of pocketable semiautomatic pistols . . .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've seen new from the factory expensive small autos be (IMO) rather horrid (Walther PPK/S a friend bought, for example, had a maybe 25# DA trigger pull till it was stoned free of burrs, I almost couldn't fire that thing!) - But they can be fixed to where they are dang reliable. The 380 BDA I had just shot till you ran it out of ammo. Burrs don't seem to be cleaned up at the factory by some companies, be it an auto or a revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I have a Ruger LCR in a 9X19 that uses "moon clips" that is usually by the "night stand". I carry a .32 Keltec, regardless whether any other pistol model is also aboard. The Keltecs weight is unnoticeable and it has no "signature" that gives away its presents on my person. The 9mm LCR weighs about the same as the .357 model, but recoils more like a 38 and is faster to load than either.
    You are so right about the KelTec 32. I have that in my pocket all the time and no one knows I have anything unless I told them. The weight of it helps also for how it is for me at times. I had talk with someone I know well and about carry and I told him about carry to not have any one see in anyway that you are. I ask him can he see if i am carry he look and I raise my shirt and all.he said you are not. Then I took out the 32 out of my pants pocket and he said he like that idea that way no one knows.I show it to him after I let him know it is loaded. He like it.So I gave him some ideas to carry also ,beside the way he been.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

One good advantage of a 380 or other small gun is that you can be walking along with it in your hand in a pocket, and most passers by will just think your hands are cold and you put your hand in a pocket to warm them. (I'm big enough that I could do that with the Browning BDA, 13+1) - Can use that to give you time to get at your larger weapon if it's not in a quick to access holster (winter clothing for example.)

Do be safe, use a pocket holster or the like, covered trigger doncha know? Seriously - no one wants to see you had a negligent discharge, they may look at the pics if "forced" to but they'd really rather see you get a dog or cat & look at pics of that furkid or the barekids / grandkids, honestly.

Some GOOD newer holsters are out for your main pistol tho, nowadays; The Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 is pretty interesting, it's not traditional leather (and I wish it carried the gun with the muzzle a little more forwards, I detest bending my wrist during draw as I always trained with muzzle-forward holsters. Grump! :P) Conceals pretty well tho. IWB or OWB configurable.

I may look at another BDA eventually...

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a tough case for CC, very old, very skinny. I carry the Beretta Nano front IWB. Luckily I do have a bit of a beer gut for a skinny guy so it helps concealment. My 9mm Nano was problematic cycling until I researched and figured out it has to have 124 gr ammo to cycle reliably. Pretty snappy for a heavier steel framed compact semi platform but I shoot it well enough to cease a potential threat and that's all that matters.

AFAIK all of the non LEO folks I know of who've had to draw on someone (more females than males, all pretty well trained tho) found that just drawing on a would-be bad guy reminded the bad guy that they'd left the iron on at home, and they promptly scuttled off to go tend to that potential problem. I haven't checked in a while, but so far none have had to shoot someone. One had a 17 year old "offer" to handcuff him to a chair, the kid had picked up an axe - In return he offered to perforate his hide with his 1911; Kid decided to lie down (wisely) and was tried as an adult, convicted, and sentenced, my friend was not displeased except by the bother of being pestered...

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    That is so neat. Make mine in .25 acp if there is room!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The judgment I have reached is that I am not temperamentally suited to switch from LCR to any pocketable semiautomatic pistol. I am convinced that second strike is nowhere as useful as a second trigger action on a double action revolver. Since I am a "belt-and-suspenders" kind've guy, total trust in ammunition quality I don't have. But the combination of almost completely trustworthy ammunition combined with a second cartridge rather than second strike is, for me, as close to perfection as I can get.

Again, I thank every one of you for clarifying my wants with my needs.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

I'm pretty sure a S&W 638 J-frame airweight weighs less and shoots the same. Has a shrouded hammer, but is accessible for "second strike."

Also, I've litterally never had any malfunction whatsoever in a Kahr K9. It's heavier than that, but the plastic ones are the same.

147 grain XTPs go 1200 fps with 6 grains of 3n38, too.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Carrying my S&W 637 in my right front pocket right now. I keep it stoked with Lyman full wadcutters at 712 fps. They are very accurate and easy to shoot, and penetrate better than most hollow point rounds. I imagine the big flat nose would do some serious damage too. I can shoot my 637 double action quite well out to 15 feet or so. Jerry Miculek's grip and trigger pull technique really work for these guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

"Lyman full wadcutters at 712 fps. They are very accurate and easy to shoot, and penetrate better than most hollow point rounds."

Depending on the lead alloy, the wadcutter will penetrate better than any expanding bullet. I don't care if it is a 700 Nitro, if it expands, it will penetrate miserably in comparison to a proper lead alloy bullet with a decent meplat at a moderate velocity. Even at 700 fps, your bullet will shoot through a 16" block of ballistic gelatin and sail on.

Boolit Master
    I have pocket pistols and a revolver that will fit into a pocket. But I carry IWB. Of course I dress to carry that way even in summer. Here the top out temp in summer is maybe in the mid nineties. If one can carry IWB and be able to carry that way what is the advantage of pocket carry?
    Remember I am intelligence challenged so please be easy with me. I've tried both ways and still prefer IWB. Of course my wife and another couple went out to eat last night (can you believe I want made fun of being in the public eye) and I carried a Glock M29. My friend carried a Glock M43 IWB with a half breed holster with just a pull over sweat shirt over it and I couldn't tell he has the gun. This past summer I carried a Glock M20. Still I don't understand the enamoration of pocket carry.
    Please share your ideas on it as I may want to force myself to carry that way instead.

Banned

"Please share your ideas on it as I may want to force myself to carry that way instead."

Jerry Miculek carries in the pocket with a J Frame
    I carry in pocket with LCP II or one of many LCRs
    Anything poking around my waist is far more annoying than a pocket gun.
    Why force yourself to do anything???
    There is no one way
    Proper pants, like 5.11 Tactical, really help with pocket carry

Boolit Master
    Jmort,

Thanks for your input. I have carried IWB so much I don't pay any attention to it. I guess.

Boolit Master

I've tried both ways and still prefer IWB.
    As long as you're satisfied that's all that matters.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

If I'm in urban settings, let's say it's winter - Or rainy; Can have my coat sealed up to keep dry or warm - Then for a very fast draw it helps to have a 2nd weapon in pocket, and I can walk with hands in pockets, so my draw is "remove hand from pocket." Lots faster than removing hands from pockets, then either shifting the coat upwards or unzipping it, then drawing; I don't go places I feel the need to do that often (I didn't lose anything there!) but it's a good strategy to get a 380 or 38 special in play QUICKLY.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I like IWB carry with my Glock 42, unfortunately I am too fat to do it comfortably anymore. Pocket or ankle carry is just more realistic for me nowadays. Ankle carry in particular is quite underrated. I can carry my Glock 26 no problem in a Desantis Apache under my work slacks, and ankle is the fastest and easiest draw for me when sitting or driving.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Beretta Pico. Been carrying mine every day for the past two years. Most concealable pocket gun I've ever carried.

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

On the farm I usually carry butt forward strong side Mexican carry( no holster) having the butt forward is more comfortable for me on tractor, Mule, or in the pickup. A shirttail or jacket hides whatever I'm carrying which is usually a 4" Combat Masterpiece.

I can understand concealed carry, but if I thought I had to carry two guns everywhere I went, I’d think about moving to a safer location.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast