Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In the universe of pocketable semiautomatic pistols . . .

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Before I would snap again an then find out it wasn't going to fire on the second hammer drop I believe I would rack the slide to put an new cartridge in the chamber instead of taking a chance.

Banned
    I don't get the obsession with second strike capability.

It either goes bang or it doesn't.

You can take another whack at getting a bad primer to light off (chances are really good that it will not fire with a second strike) or you can just get rid of the bad round and carry on.

That's one of the advantages of a DA revolver. The "second" strike is on the next cartridge.

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Bigslug: As someone who has only double action revolvers as EDC, what might be a learned memory for you would be nothing of the sort for me. I'll believe we'll have to agree to disagree.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I carry my own reloads and load them like my life depends on it; because it could. I use primers from lot numbers which have proven themselves reliable and brass that has been checked for length with primer pockets cleaned. I visually inspect each round at every step of the process and measure for proper OAL before putting them in the box. The charges and boolits I use are proven to be very accurate and reliable in my guns, and I've fired hundreds of rounds of them. Hard to do that if you are paying $1.00 or more a shot for factory defense ammo.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Browning BDA will restrike but isn't as small & light as OP wants; I have to agree on "Just clear the malfunctioning round" though, if it's serious enough to need any rounds then why the heck would you TRY a bad round again? Try ANY other round, instead! That's what practice is for - to learn muscle memory to do that FAST.

AMT Backup is about in the weight range OP mentions, way too small for my Yeti hands tho. Not everyone has Yeti Mitts tho :P

Boolit Master

, 5 oz
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:45 AM. Reason: ETA
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    If I remember right ... the S&W M&P 380 also has that feature ...
    Correct.

I have a Ruger LCR in a 9X19 that uses "moon clips" that is usually by the "night stand". I carry a .32 Keltec, regardless whether any other pistol model is also aboard. The Keltecs weight is unnoticeable and it has no "signature" that gives away its presents on my person. The 9mm LCR weighs about the same as the .357 model, but recoils more like a 38 and is faster to load than either.

Boolit Master

I like to carry the wifes P938 when I need deep concealment, it is lighter than anything I carry, less rounds as well but it it is 9mm and shoots very well. Yes I know, it doesn't have double strike easily, cock it again or eject it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I like to carry the wifes P938 when I need deep concealment, it is lighter than anything I carry, less rounds as well but it it is 9mm and shoots very well. Yes I know, it doesn't have double strike easily, cock it again or eject it.
    I like and carry a p938 a lot in the summer time and a 1911 the rest of the time I like to keep things the same if i can
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I have a P3AT that I carry often and shoot on the range regularly. It started having problems igniting primers, so I couldn't/wouldn't carry it. I sent it back to the company and they replaced the main spring at no charge. Fires the first time every time again. If the firearm fails to do that, it needs to go back to the factory for repair.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like my Kimber Micro .380. It is really not much harder to carry than a little Kel-Tec or LCP and is very easy to shoot. I feed mine 3.1 grains Bullseye/Lee 356-102-2R.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

have to agree. My 43 is probably twice the size of my lcp. Your not going to carry a 43 in your front pocket unless you have BIG pockets. Even a lcp is borderline to big to keep in the front pocket of your jeans. I have a 43, a shield, and an lcp and find I carry my lcp MUCH more then the other two. A 380 in your pocket is much better then a 9mm in your truck or back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    IMO the small 9's are still holster guns, the LCP's and Keltec P3AT's are pocket guns which for me means carried ALL the time.

Banned

I have to agree. Ive shot tons of ammo through guns and can probably count on my one had how many times a second strike of a primer set off a round that the first pull didn't. Also if I owned a gun that didn't fire the round the first time if using good factory ammo or good handloads I sure wouldn't carry it to protect my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I don't get the obsession with second strike capability.

It either goes bang or it doesn't.

You can take another whack at getting a bad primer to light off (chances are really good that it will not fire with a second strike) or you can just get rid of the bad round and carry on.

That's one of the advantages of a DA revolver. The "second" strike is on the next cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I will say this. Unless someone is wearing tight clothes to show off their body, unless they are very small, unless they are drawing their belt so tight they look like a wasp, and a couple more unlesses if you can't carry a M43 IWB, which is how I carry mine, someone is plain stubborn. I carry a M29 Glock IWB even in the summer.
    Since I got the M29 I carry it the most. I have an LCPII but rarely carry it Pocket or otherwise because I like the extra power of a 9MM so therefore I will conform to carry it. I got the LCPII with the intention of carrying in my pocket but rarely did. Phooey on it. Now I have put it in my lounge pants occasionally but I have done that with my Smith J frame air weight M637 too.
    But, if I am out the smallest caliber I carry will be my non "double strike" 9MM Glock M43. 95 percent of the time it will be my non "double strike" Glock M29 10MM loaded with the first two out of the gun 180 gr Gold Dot HP's with the rest 180 gr Hornady FMJ's.
    Of course I am not the smartest person and carried my non "double strike" Glock M20 loaded the same way before I got the M29 Glock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Bigslug: As someone who has only double action revolvers as EDC, what might be a learned memory for you would be nothing of the sort for me. I'll believe we'll have to agree to disagree.
    It is called "learned" for a reason - you practiced with your wheelgun; you're going to have to practice with the auto. A few dummy rounds snuck into your mags by a pal works wonders.

Here's my beef with this "second strike auto" nonsense. Yes, primers can and do go off sometimes the second time you thump them. And sometimes they don't. And sometimes the gun doesn't go bang because somebody forgot to chamber a round. . .or maybe rode the slide forward when chambering, so it stopped shy of being fully in battery and the disconnector prevents firing. . .or maybe the mag wasn't seated fully when the attempt to chamber a round was made.

Tapping the mag and racking the slide solves ALL of that without needing to spend time diagnosing ANY of it. Pulling the trigger repeatedly with an increasingly worried look on your face only solves a lazy primer - if that is indeed what is going on.

If you REALLY want to rely on a second trigger pull to be your only answer for an unresponsive handgun, the best answer for you is to stick with the revolver. There's more to these autos than you seem to want to program.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I recently did some trading for a Beretta Pico. So far, it is one awesome pocket pistol. I carried a LCP for years, but traded it off on something or another.

I came across this Pico, and it is quite an impressive pistol. The sights are better than any of the pocket pistols, and the felt recoil is nice even though it has a higher bore axis. I only have about 200 rounds of ball through it. I am about ready to load up some self defense hand loads, and then I will buy some factory self defense (Hornady Critical Defense).

It certainly has a better build quality than my LCP. It is comforting to have second strike capability.

How much time would a guy waste with that 2nd strike capability? Just keep pulling the trigger.... click, click, click, click, click, click, until your attacker runs up and slices your throat? Clear the offending round and fire a fresh round.

I pocket carry a G43 every day. Every day it sits in a DeSantis Superfly in my front right pocket, and I can't figure why people say it's too big for such. I even put a Taran Tactical base plate on it so it holds 7+1 rounds now. and spare mags are all +2 base plates for 8 more. Even with the +1 TT baseplate, it still carries fine in my front pocket. I forget it's there sometimes and no one has ever called me out on it in an office where I could be fired for carrying on site.

Some days I wear jeans, some days I wear tactical pants, but the gun fits in all of them fine. And when I'm walking to the car on a dark and rainy night, with my hand in my pocket, no one is the wiser.

Not only that, but a j-frame S&W rides in my left front pocket. If one hand is busy, the other is available.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast