MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In the universe of pocketable semiautomatic pistols . . .

Post removed by user
    Last edited by Artful; 02-15-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

o!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

if I'm looking for a specific type of a gun for a use and someone else has experiences that show that gun isn't the best idea for me and has a good solid reason why I should be looking at something else I welcome it. Lots of guys come here with not much experience and if someone can save them from making a mistake then why not post it???

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Three-Fifty-Seven - if we see someone making a bad mistake, in our experience, what would you LIKE us to do? Praise someone for doing something that could get them fixated on a dysfunctional choice? I took a LOT of defensive shooting classes & helped train a lot as well, and I will go with my training. I'd be very shocked if others here aren't in the same boat. Go ask any reputable school that trains folks in using semi auto firearms for self defense and you'll hear them saying the same thing, I'd think. That's WHY we're trained to do the tap - rack - boom drill, among others. Muscle memory to save our lives, should we have a "serious social encounter" - with the best choices available to the trainers.

If I were to propose compressed loads of Bullseye for self defense loads, would you praise that choice because it's a free country, too? Bad choices are not good choices...

If the OP insists, it's their life. We just default to "And we'd rather they live, all other things being equal." Hoping you can live with that...

Another example; LEOs have in the past been trained to drop their empties into the coffee can for empties, for reloading - and stood up in mid-firefight to try to do so. And been shot or killed. Was that a good thing for them to train themselves to do? Or a bad choice? LOTS of other such examples in the field...

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

^^^ This makes sense

three-fifty-seven - I've not had bad luck with my 1911s. Did intentionally put dummy rounds in amongst the ammo for training though, and quite a few of them, Hundreds probably of "bad rounds" that way. So I made sure I practiced what I trained for.

At the time I began training, my sister had a stalker who was announcing his plan to rape and kill her (We knew who it was, but you can't string those up until they DO something extremely bad, sad to say.) So we put her through the course same time as I went through. And I was lined up to be doing the security system for a rather large gold mine in WA state. (Sadly lawyers and a large mining corporation ripped off the owner, "corrupt" doesn't even BEGIN to describe that. Poor guy got about $200k of the billions of fine gold dust in sandstone there - Unusual ore, but we knew exactly how to process it. They got an "exploration" contract, and "explored" the entire ore body out of the ground basically...)

I was training pretty dang hard, as I was expecting to have a decent chance of encountering some sort of serious social problems... I trained for more than a years' worth of classes, then helped train people there for another couple years. (Not just handgun classes, rifle and shotgun too.) The stories some people had, it is BAD how some people behave!

You seem to be misunderstanding - I was not putting down the Pico or the Commander at all; I am talking about TRAINING and CHOICES of HOW you are going to USE said weapon, not of your choices of WHICH weapon. None of the training schools I've researched have EVER mentioned "second strike" capability as being a desirable feature on a self-defense weapon, that I can remember. If someone's shooting at you, you don't want to take any "Low percentage chance" choices - You want to STOP them, ASAP!

That's why for revolvers, people train to just move on to the next chamber, and in autoloaders they slap the magazine in fully (to make sure it's seated), rack the slide to eject the bad round, then fire the new round, because whichever of those two options matches your weapon of choice gets you a new more-likely-GOOD round with a lot higher percentage chance of it FIRING, and sooner, getting you out of imminent danger of being hurt or killed, than trying to re-strike an already known faulty round. You don't have to agree with me, but they train people to SURVIVE being put in danger; If your life's in danger, a known bad round is EXPENDABLE, get RID of it and fire a good one... Figure out the rounds' problem later...

Question for you; Do you know of any reputable training place that actually recommends re-striking a round that misfires, if you are in a serious social encounter, being shot at or charged by a maniac with a machete or whatever?

(If you're just target shooting then it's a "do whatever you want" situation o'course, but I've been pretty clear that I'm talking self-defense here...)

On the OP's question - My hands are huge, I basically cannot FIRE those tiny guns - so I have not really tried to keep up to date on them; How would I answer about a good choice of a small firearm, given that situation?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Bottom line is todays little semi auto guns are as reliable as any revolver.
    I hear people say this all the time, but it is demonstrably not true.

Boolit Master

The OP asked a very specific question, he mostly got put down ...

He did not ask about training ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Boolit Master

Tracy
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Banned

I have 3 carry guns, usually I carry one at a time. My 642, 442
    or diamondback 380 are all good pocket carry guns. The 442 is
    what I carry every day. I carry in a neoprene pocket holster.

If I were advising the original poster, I would suggest a 642 or 442,
    they are ostensibly the same gun. I don't carry anything I cannot carry
    in my pocket. I wear loose blue jeans, and nobody even knows I am
    carrying. I live in one of the bluest states, so I have to be extra careful
    to not print.

More like 3XL gloves here. Zoro Tools actually has inexpensive decent gloves that pretty much fit me though, they sell on "that" auction site as well as directly. This helps.

We could have misunderstood the OP, communication definitely is hard. Maybe they will comment on this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Second strike? That would be my head repeatedly hitting the wall at the notion. Clear the **** malfunction and don't waste time on a bad round - REGARDLESS of the trigger system!!!
    What he said ^^^

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    You will find if your a revolver shooter, that you instinctively pull the trigger again and if you have a hard primer it generally goes off.
    But if you pull the trigger again with a revolver you advance to the next chamber so you are hitting a new primer, no?

That is how you clear the malfunction for revolvers

Boolit Master
    Not if the previous round was a squib

My carry gun has never had a malfunction, even firing the cheapest 9x18 ammo I could find. About 500rds through it. The gun. Radom P-64, probably the cheapest centerfire pistol I've ever had.

When I carried a Ruger SP101 I could say the same thing. I fired only factory .357 and .38 spl in it.

Even the wife's Colt Commander has never malfunctioned when using factory ammo. Her only problems came when I made up some light loads for her. She fired one magazine and asked me for the 'hot' stuff again I had malfunctions firing the rest of the box. Failure to eject.

Even so I don't consider a 'second' strike to be important. Probably cause I trained and used 1911's for decades.

PS the little P64 makes a decent pocket pistol, but, I also carried my SP101 in a pocket sometimes so point of view is a bit slanted

I fired a Taurus TCP .380 weeks ago that impressed me with its accuracy and ssc da only trigger. Simple. The angry lcp da only and kel tec .32 & .380 are good also. I've not tried the S&W.380.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've never had a squib load, oddly. Had a few friends' reloads which were maybe 20%-50% overloads (After 2 I let them use their own ammo; Those "just" ejected the mag, probably stressed the grips, certainly stressed my adrenals.) Using a O ring press I'm sorta OCD on making sure rounds get only one powder charge in them, with a progressive I just make sure I use the press very consistently & that seems to do well. If someone came past & played with your progressive I can see how you could get a multiple charge tho... Makes me think of putting a lock on the press' arm if others have access to it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Tracy,

Part of the "problem" with the tiny compact semi-auto's is ... as Mr Sheesh stated, he has big hands ... so do I! (Wear XL size glove) so it is very difficult to get a good grip on the tiny bit of grip the manufacturer gives you ...

Looking at post #14 the Pico has a lot less to hold onto, than the LCR with Pachmayr Diamond Pro aftermarket grips, the Pico I can almost get part of a second (ring) finger onto it ... if I use the mag with the extension that Beretta also supplies, (not shown) then my ring finger gets to help ... but makes the gun larger ... compared to the LCR as pictured, which I can get all three fingers on ...

The Pico weighs a little over 11 oz ... it has a bit of recoil even with the so called "marginal - minumum" powered 380 ACP (look at pic of chronograph) ... trying holding onto such a thing firmly enough to allow the very stiff recoil springs to do their job when firing, allows a possibility of "problems" to arise.

The Pico for instance has no aftermarket choice of grips, the manufacturer offers different colored grips, but no different size, or shape, if you choose to use the option of the mag extension, you give up some of the compact size ...

I believe that a rubber type of "slip-on" could be added ... and it will increase the overall width ... the Pico is LESS than 3/4" wide, one of its desirable attributes for carrying undetected, why make it fatter? Some people add "grip tape" ... kinda like stair tread anti-slip tape, or skateboard tape ... adds thickness again, and "stickier" to draw ...

The little semi-auto's are not for everyone ... Neither are the mid-sized, or full sized semi-auto's, or any other action type ... good thing we in America have choices!
    Sorry, but you missed the quote that I was replying to. Lloyd said small autos are as reliable as any revolver, and I replied that is demonstrably not true.
    I have XL hands too, but my .357 LCR fits them pretty well. Fits in my pocket (which is its current and usual location) pretty well, too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast