Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lyman 45 lube sizer

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 45 lube sizer

I have to economize my money when buying tools. I'd like to buy a star sizer, but the reality is that it's not likely to happen any time soon.

The Lyman 45 lube sizer machines are seen for sale for relatively cheap. I know it would be an old machine. Do the dies for the 450/4500 fit it? Related, does anyone make custom size dies that will fit it? (I need a .453 sized boolit for my 1911...it slugs at .4515, and my experience with .452 is that it's just not big enough).

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 45 and use modern RCBS sizer dies in it, would figure the others would work too.

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman 45 and an upgraded Lyman 450. They will both use any of the Lyman or RCBS LAM dies (I have both thanks to midway sales). No other dies are compatible. I had to get the newer model because I needed the die retaining nut for a nose sizer die. The lyman 45 uses a set screw to secure the dies while the new Lymans use a retaining nut. If take care of these, I believe they will outlast me and the Lyman 45 is all ready older than I am.

I did a search and didn't find a .453 die. I did find a .454 die and .452 die. You can open up the .452 die just like you would a Lee sizer. It is quick and easy, about 30ish minutes.

With a little search you can easily find a sizer for under 100 and closer to 80ish. Just post a want to buy add.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You should find a nice one for 80 bucks. Probably a very serviceable one for 65 bucks, even. You can open up a .452 die as mentioned. It doesn't take long and is probably more exactly .453 than buying one. I find that some new dies will wander just a bit in size.
    Buffalo arms has it, but they're out of stock. You might contact them and they'll make a new one.
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/453-cust...isizers-bac453
    You might could just advertise in the WTB section, and if nobody has one, there are people on here who know how to make them for you. Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    I have to economize my money when buying tools. I'd like to buy a star sizer, but the reality is that it's not likely to happen any time soon.

The Lyman 45 lube sizer machines are seen for sale for relatively cheap. I know it would be an old machine. Do the dies for the 450/4500 fit it? Related, does anyone make custom size dies that will fit it? (I need a .453 sized boolit for my 1911...it slugs at .4515, and my experience with .452 is that it's just not big enough).
    I am a big fan of the Lyman 45, I think it's a better design that the 450/4500, but that's my opinion. All Lyman dies and RCBS dies will work. I prefer the older style Lyman dies without the O-ring, as they were made to fit/seal in a 45. The new style with the O-ring are a thou or two smaller and rely on the o-ring to seal...and they do seal, but can develop leaking issues if the o-ring gets damaged/worn.

With all that said, as I can appreciate trying to save $ on tools, I will say that I have owned many lubesizers, and sold many, and I still have more than I need...If I were to only own one, it'd be a Star, They are truely that much better. The only downside, besides the press being more expensive, is that the dies and punches are twice the price of Lyman dies. But if you are a patient person, sometimes you will find a used Star listed for $200 to $250, which is about $100 cheaper than a new one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    S&S Firearms will furnish custom made H&I dies for $38.00.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I am a big fan of the Lyman 45, I think it's a better design that the 450/4500, but that's my opinion. All Lyman dies and RCBS dies will work. I prefer the older style Lyman dies without the O-ring, as they were made to fit/seal in a 45. The new style with the O-ring are a thou or two smaller and rely on the o-ring to seal...and they do seal, but can develop leaking issues if the o-ring gets damaged/worn.

With all that said, as I can appreciate trying to save $ on tools, I will say that I have owned many lubesizers, and sold many, and I still have more than I need...If I were to only own one, it'd be a Star, They are truely that much better. The only downside, besides the press being more expensive, is that the dies and punches are twice the price of Lyman dies. But if you are a patient person, sometimes you will find a used Star listed for $200 to $250, which is about $100 cheaper than a new one.
    I still bid up 175-200 on scambay for them when I see them. Unlikely to snag one but sometimes you get lucky.

It'd be nice if the Phelps knockoffs came up more often.