RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee 12 gage 1 oz. slug mold report

Boolit Buddy

Lee 12 gage 1 oz. slug mold report

I received this mold for Christmas and tried it out last night. I have cast approx. 9000 boolits for 38, 44 & 45 caliber handguns in the past 18 months. I have 18 Lee molds and this is the easiest mold to use. After smoking the mold with kitchen matches I put Bullplate lube on the locating pins & bottom of sprue plate. I then placed the mold sprue plate down on top of my Lee pro 4-20 pot while my lead melted. I used pure lead according to the directions. I expected to have problems with the mold, having never used a mold with a center core pin. I ran my pot a little warmer than normal due to using pure lead. The 1st slug out of the mold was a keeper. I proceeded to cast about 150 slugs and only had about 8-10 rejects. These were all my fault. If I only left a small puddle for the sprue, the shrinkage would leave a small pinhole on top of the slug. Also the slugs are so shiny they look like they are chrome plated. I am very happy with this mold. I will probably load some in a few weeks and will report back with results.

Boolit Master
    I like mine as well. I am going to get one of the 7/8th ones this Spring to try as well.

Thanks for sharing what ya found out!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

The 7/8 oz Lee Slug is the way to go over the 1 oz

Boolit Grand Master

I got a Lee 1 oz. slug mould a few years ago (old style). I had to deburr it a bit, nothing too serious but it needed work or slugs wouldn't release easily off the core pin. Now slugs drop out of it and it casts well.

Accuracy from my smoothbore was not bad though not as good at 50 yards as my round ball loads. In fairness, I only loaded and shot a few so didn't try different wads and powders... partly because my round ball loads work and partly because trying to get a variety of wads and powders to try here is difficult. Selection is very limited.

I just got the 7/8 oz. mould and it casts well as is. though I have to tap the hinge bolt to get slugs to drop out. I may polish the core pin a bit. This mould is the new style and I have to say I like it! I think the steel alignment pins are a big improvement over the old vee grooves and ribs for mould block alignment.

Both moulds cast well and make nice slugs.

Now for side by side comparison. Several folks here say the 7/8 oz. slug is more accurate from smoothbore. Not sure about rifled guns. I will see how my smoothbore likes them both shortly. This time I will try at least a few things to see how they affect accuracy.

Also, I should say that I have only cast slugs from wheelweights. Lee recommends soft lead and that may be so the slug obturates and form fits the wad/bore at firing. I have found that even WW slugs tend to "slug up" or deform at firing. In any case many cast from alloys rather than pure lead and report good results. I should really cast some up from pure lead for comparison purposed as well.

I think the Lee slug is a vast improvement over the Lyman Foster slug for sure. I think you will like that mould and be happy with results.

I'll be interested to see your range reports.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a pic of the slugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0119181810-1.jpg  

Boolit Master

Nice! LB, how about filling the cavities of some of your Lee test slugs with hot glue and compare with slugs unfilled just using a hard card. The 20 ga cards used in the bottom of the wads are slightly smaller than the lee slug base and tend to wedge up in the cavity. If my test with the Lyman 525s were any indication the hot glue in the base alleviated any problem and required nothing under the slug to prevent wad migration into the base. I meant to try this myself but is still on the "to do" list.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Hal:

Been there, done that.

After my first outing with the Lee 1 oz. slugs I got mediocre accuracy so decided to use hot melt glue fill and a short glue extension, Brenneke style.

These performed considerably better reducing group size from about 6" to 8" at 50 yards to about 4" to 6" at 50 yards. I didn't test further.

I really haven't shot the Lee's much though so really haven't tried different wads and powders.

I plan to get the latest slug batches of Lee's and others shot next weekend so will have a new starting point for comparison. These are all cast of wheelweights, unfilled and on 16 ga. Nitro card wads. I likec16 ga. better than 20 ga. Nitro card wads for the reason you mnention... 20 ga. Is a bit small.

In my experience glue fill is generally an improvement.

Banned
    Just look at these babies in Trap Commander wad: https://imgur.com/6CnnxhF

Hope it helps.
    Ajay Madan

Hello, i use Nobel Sport GT wad http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Nob...tinfo/139GTT3/. I put the slug right on the shortcup, and cut the top part to the shoulder of the Lee 1 oz and a tight roll crimp. Somehow, the wad remains attached to the slug until point of impact.
    I have measured a velocity of 470 ms, or 1540 fts with 700 bars of pressure , or 10,150 psi. Considering that our guns are proofed at 17.400 psi, i could still have a big improvement in velocity, while remaining in the safety zone. However, for hog hunting, as we do it here with 50+ surrounding an area and sending dogs and drivers in... farther shot 50 yards.... at 1540 fts it is lethal.

Banned

Thank you Ajay
    With the 16 guage cards and the Commander wad you can build a superior column

Banned
    Greetings brother JMort, the commander wad is indeed a blessing in disguise, far far superior and well designed for us slug or RB shooters!
    We do not want BPI to know how good those wads are or else they too will jack up the prices ! !
    Buy them in 20 gauge as well as 12 gauge.

Boolit Master

With the 7/8 I eventually wound up with a 20 on the bottom then a 16 on top of that. IIRC the 16 in the bottom bulged the wad a bit and the petals would rip. Yes those trap commanders are a great wad, one of the things I learned from you Ajay some years ago. The Guilandi wads have the same shotcup and I bought a bunch of them last summer on clearance from BPI for $4 a bag. Yep, I love a bargain!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings my friend HogTamer, you are very right about 20 gauge at the bottom as it is a bit tight fit then a 16 gauge followed by your slug or RB.
    We are in it to win it ! !

Boolit Grand Master

Right you are! The 16 ga. do bulge the wads a bit but so far have not caused me any grief. I generally use WW wads (not WW Red!) as that was all I could get. I still have lots and have not checked to see what is available now.

I normally use only one 1/8" nitro card wad especially if the HB is filled but of course it depends on shotcup depth and crimp height. A 20 ga. first then 16 ga. makes sense if you can fit two nitro card wads in.

I should actually refer people to Ajay's thread on wad fit as there is a bunch of good info there for sure and now that we have Ajay back again I am sure more good stuff will follow!

Again, good to see you back Ajay!

Longbow

Banned
    Greetings brother Longbow, thanks for those words you made me feel good. We were always a tight knit family and cared enough to share our findings with our family.
    I feel great being back too.
    I'm sorting through the scattered pieces and trying to put picture back.
    For the slug in wad fit I always pushed it back wards in to the barrel without a nitro card to see the fiction fit: https://imgur.com/2nkY5pd

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 01-23-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Banned
    Greeting to all my friends, sure did enjoy this Lee Drive Key slug in wad for 12 ga post.
    Indeed a neat trick that works wonders by putting 20 ga nitro card followed by 16 ga in wad then the Slug or RB.
    Its the little things that matter !
    Best regard,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots